Author Topic: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(TIME TO REVEAL THE WINNER!!!)  (Read 195818 times)

Re: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(Round 1 over)
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
First round number of players chosen by position:

PG: 1(Magic)
SG: 2(MJ, Kobe)
SF: 3(LeBron, Bird, Kawhi)
PF: 1(Duncan)
C: 5(Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Russell)

« Reply #241 on: August 22, 2019, 06:45:07 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
After Round 1, it's no surprise that every single team is in good shape, even the teams that reached. 

That said, I really am intrigued to see what the Larry / Magic teams look like.  To me, they'll always be the two saviors of the NBA, and two players that I will always rate as the two guys I'd start a team with.  I probably would have taken Magic #1 overall (after trading down).
I agree but in a 3pt happy league I'd go Bird over Magic.

I think Magic would have added a better 3PT shot if it was more of a factor in his era.  We saw his shoot 38.4% of 3.5 attempts in 1990, and then 37.9% after taking 4.5 years off due to HIV.

I like Magic because he's a unicorn.  How many 6'9" point guards are there who can run the fastest team in the league, but then switch to center, as well?
Maybe but we know Bird would go to town from 3 (6 times over 40%).  Imagine him shooting 8+ 3s a game.  Bird is a big threat both on and off ball while Magic needs the ball.  Bird also would be your clutch go-to guy/closer. 

I don't think Magic is as much of a unicorn with players like Lebron, Giannis, Simmons anymore.  I think he could be slowed down more so than Bird.  Seeing what Harden does imagine what Bird would do except Bird wouldn't wilt in the playoffs.   

« Reply #242 on: August 22, 2019, 06:45:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I was baffled by the fact that Bill Russell was available.

How can anyone make the argument that he isn’t one of the top ten most valuable players ever? I get different era stuff, but you can’t legitimize that argument objectively. It’s pure craziness to me that Kobe Bryant and Kawhi Leonard were selected before him. Nuts.

Edit - looks like Kobe went 11th
As pointed out earlier, try not to be too critical. "Crazy"
and "Nuts" is not the way to handle things. Find nicer ways to say things. That goes for everyone.

« Reply #243 on: August 22, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Quite happy to wake up to having picked LB. He was the guy I wanted the most at #4, and trading down from #1 to get him plus quite a significant bump in from the 5th round to the 3rd round is a big win for me.

Having consecutive picks at the end of the 2nd/start of the 3rd round is also exciting.

Surprised that Kawhi and Kobe were picked, but I can definitely see why. Kobe's peak, although not my favourite style of play, was undoubtedly one of the most unstoppable offensive peaks we've seen. Might have been able to get similar production from a player or two who will be available later, but I get it. Kawhi just went on one of the best playoff runs in recent memory, so can't really fault that.

I debated long and hard on Kobe.

But his defense is what got me in the end.

In his prime, he was an absolute monster defensively, add that to 30ppg 7 and 6 and it seemed a simple choice. I dont expect an elite 2 way player with no real weaknesses outside of his, at times, selfishness is too good to pass up.

He is 95% of what you get with Jordan.
Killer instinct
Heart
Ability to play with other greats
Playmaking
Ballhandling
Shooting
Clutch
Rebounding

And after all that he is still my number 2 after Hakeem.

That shaq and kobe duo was league killer, and , imo, hakeem allows kobe to be even better as I see Hakeem as a better player than shaq.

That 2 man game I think will be lethal on both ends, but its the rest of the team thay is key to it all.

« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
ANNOUNCEMENT: These games at CelticsStrong will last only as long as our non-confrontational, overly critical or disrespectful way of saying things lasts. The history of these games is once talk like that starts so do confrontations, hard feelings, disrespectful posting, drama and subsequent suspensions from using the site. I kid you not this has led to some bad stuff in the past. So, try to state things as respectfully as you can, especially criticism. For example: Instead of "horrible" or "crazy" pick, just say it's a pick that might be too early or one you might not make.

« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2019, 06:53:05 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
I was baffled by the fact that Bill Russell was available.

How can anyone make the argument that he isn’t one of the top ten most valuable players ever? I get different era stuff, but you can’t legitimize that argument objectively. It’s pure craziness to me that Kobe Bryant and Kawhi Leonard were selected before him. Nuts.

Edit - looks like Kobe went 11th
As pointed out earlier, try not to be too critical. "Crazy"
and "Nuts" is not the way to handle things. Find nicer ways to say things. That goes for everyone.

Sounds good! My apologies to any offended.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2019, 06:58:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Quite happy to wake up to having picked LB. He was the guy I wanted the most at #4, and trading down from #1 to get him plus quite a significant bump in from the 5th round to the 3rd round is a big win for me.

Having consecutive picks at the end of the 2nd/start of the 3rd round is also exciting.

Surprised that Kawhi and Kobe were picked, but I can definitely see why. Kobe's peak, although not my favourite style of play, was undoubtedly one of the most unstoppable offensive peaks we've seen. Might have been able to get similar production from a player or two who will be available later, but I get it. Kawhi just went on one of the best playoff runs in recent memory, so can't really fault that.

I debated long and hard on Kobe.

But his defense is what got me in the end.

In his prime, he was an absolute monster defensively, add that to 30ppg 7 and 6 and it seemed a simple choice. I dont expect an elite 2 way player with no real weaknesses outside of his, at times, selfishness is too good to pass up.

He is 95% of what you get with Jordan.
Killer instinct
Heart
Ability to play with other greats
Playmaking
Ballhandling
Shooting
Clutch
Rebounding

And after all that he is still my number 2 after Hakeem.

That shaq and kobe duo was league killer, and , imo, hakeem allows kobe to be even better as I see Hakeem as a better player than shaq.

That 2 man game I think will be lethal on both ends, but its the rest of the team thay is key to it all.
Yeah, those are good points. I feel as though overall his defence has become overrated, but in his peak he was definitely one of the leagues best.

Going to be interesting to see the rest of the team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I love these games on this site. It's why I volunteer to be Commissioner as many times as I do(this might be my 7th game).

The incredibly high quality of "pure basketball" talk that goes into discussing the team building, especially later on as starting groups and rotations take shape, is, generally, the best on the site for that year since the games only happen occasionally now.

« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2019, 07:10:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
ANNOUNCEMENT: These games at CelticsStrong will last only as long as our non-confrontational, overly critical or disrespectful way of saying things lasts. The history of these games is once talk like that starts so do confrontations, hard feelings, disrespectful posting, drama and subsequent suspensions from using the site. I kid you not this has led to some bad stuff in the past. So, try to state things as respectfully as you can, especially criticism. For example: Instead of "horrible" or "crazy" pick, just say it's a pick that might be too early or one you might not make.

This might sound like overkill by nick.  Nobody likes being censored, especially when we're all adults here, right?  Using words that wouldn't even make a nun blush shouldn't be a big deal in something as non-consequential as this draft, you would think.

If you're thinking that...  stop.  These drafts had a storied history on CelticsBlog, but a volatile one.  Over the years, people tended to become way too competitive, to the point where people got banned, friendships got ended, people cheated and "strategically voted" to harm certain competitors, wild accusations and conspiracies were formed, people were playing amateur detective trying to track IP addresses, etc. 

nick lived through that.  So did I, and Dons, and a few mods who are no longer here in part because of the drafts.  It got to the point where two of the coolest features on this blog -- the OG CelticsBlog Draft and the Pick 2 Draft -- died an unnatural death.  Other, sillier drafts had the same fate.

The Historic Draft is the only draft that has largely been drama free, and that's mostly because it's nickagneta's baby.  So, just keep this 100% drama free and fun, and when you're critiquing teams, pretend you're talking to a really sensitive five year old, or the gal / guy you're trying to impress.  Yes, we're all adults here, but we don't want to drift into hardo territory, so just have fun.  (Says the guy who has been, at times, too competitive and too obsessive to enjoy these things as much as he should.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #249 on: August 22, 2019, 07:12:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
If it wasn't for all the 3 pointers in today's league, Bill Russell would have been first on my draft board.

I am perturbed by the decreasing influence of the top defenders in the league today. They keep changing the rules to make it easier for offensive players and the now the big time offensive players have a much larger impact on the game than ever before over the big time defensive players.

I would have rated Bill Russell #1 because he is the ultimate teammate. A man who can influence the game without needing the ball. Who enables everyone around him to be their best self.

And in a fantasy league where every team is full of stars & superstars, that ability to influence games hugely without needing the ball is the most valuable asset in the game.

With (my expectations of) lowered defensive impact in today's 3 point heavy league, I still think Russell would be awesome but he is no longer the #1 choice on my draft board.

I am however very excited to see the team that is built around him. When that all comes together, I might look at it and feel I was dead wrong to drop Russell in my estimation.

The guy is a pure winner.

« Reply #250 on: August 22, 2019, 07:19:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If it wasn't for all the 3 pointers in today's league, Bill Russell would have been first on my draft board.

I am perturbed by the decreasing influence of the top defenders in the league today. They keep changing the rules to make it easier for offensive players and the now the big time offensive players have a much larger impact on the game than ever before over the big time defensive players.

I would have rated Bill Russell #1 because he is the ultimate teammate. A man who can influence the game without needing the ball. Who enables everyone around him to be their best self.

And in a fantasy league where every team is full of stars & superstars, that ability to influence games hugely without needing the ball is the most valuable asset in the game.

With (my expectations of) lowered defensive impact in today's 3 point heavy league, I still think Russell would be awesome but he is no longer the #1 choice on my draft board.

I am however very excited to see the team that is built around him. When that all comes together, I might look at it and feel I was dead wrong to drop Russell in my estimation.

Bill is, in my book, without a doubt, the best rebounder and defender in this game. Being a guy who finds those two qualities to be essential to winning titles, Bill would be my pick after MJ, Kareem, Bird or Magic. And if the game had no three point shot, I agree with Who, Russell would be my #1 pick.

« Reply #251 on: August 22, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Bill is, in my book, without a doubt, the best rebounder and defender in this game. Being a guy who finds those two qualities to be essential to winning titles, Bill would be my pick after MJ, Kareem, Bird or Magic. And if the game had no three point shot, I agree with Who, Russell would be my #1 pick.

I was hoping to nab bill and hakeem.

« Reply #252 on: August 22, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

No points in the paint would be scored against that duo
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2019, 08:15:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

No points in the paint would be scored against that duo
against normal teams sure, but against teams with the best players of all time, it just wouldn't happen.  I mean plenty of players scored on those players, Wilt for example scored at will against Bill (I know some of that was strategy, though I would maintain that was strategy because they couldn't stop Wilt anyway).  You stack the deck with teams that have a top 12 center and a top 12 power forward and I think that great defense is limited a lot.  It is for that reason I don't really love Bill in this thing given his general lack of offensive ability.  He is much higher up the list of all time greats on my list then he was on my draft board.  That said, he was so good defensively and on the glass, and there are so many great offensive players that will be on all of these teams, that I totally get why he was picked and when he was picked.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #254 on: August 22, 2019, 08:16:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
First round number of players chosen by position:

PG: 1(Magic)
SG: 2(MJ, Kobe)
SF: 3(LeBron, Bird, Kawhi)
PF: 1(Duncan)
C: 5(Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Russell)
Positionally that seems about right.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip