Author Topic: Kings 2019 Draft Pick  (Read 5529 times)

Kings 2019 Draft Pick
« on: September 23, 2018, 05:01:22 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
As I understand, if the Kings end up getting the 1st pick in the draft, the 76ers 1st rounder would then convey to the Celtics.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Kings 2019 Draft Pick
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 05:55:37 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
This is correct, the pick is top 1 protected. The variance between the Philly and Kings picks could be 20+. As bad as losing the pick would be for us, arguably worse is how much it would strengthen one of our toughest rivals.

The issue is not only is that Philly would be adding the number one pick to an already stacked roster, but they would have 3 choices in RJ Barrett, Nassir Little, and Cam Reddish that would be able to immediately step into their core and fit their timeline. After missing out on Tatum, LeBron, Paul George, and Kawhi Philly needs a stud wing and the 2019 draft could be their best chance at one.

I think the scenario to hope for is that although the Kings have by far one of the worst roster's, they also have no incentive to tank. This mean's that when the Hawks, Knicks, Nets, and Suns of the world start dreaming of high draft picks, Sac will try to pick up some wins to establish their culture. I'd be happy if we end up with any where from 2-7 just to keep the pick out of Philly's hands.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If Vlade is still running the team, we will get the pick.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
An under reported aspect of this is that the odds of landing the 1st pick in 2019 has been decreased. The top 3 teams all have an equal 14% shot of landing it instead of previously the #1 seed has 25%. Worst case, we have an 86% chance of getting the pick.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This is correct, the pick is top 1 protected. The variance between the Philly and Kings picks could be 20+. As bad as losing the pick would be for us, arguably worse is how much it would strengthen one of our toughest rivals.

The issue is not only is that Philly would be adding the number one pick to an already stacked roster, but they would have 3 choices in RJ Barrett, Nassir Little, and Cam Reddish that would be able to immediately step into their core and fit their timeline. After missing out on Tatum, LeBron, Paul George, and Kawhi Philly needs a stud wing and the 2019 draft could be their best chance at one.

I think the scenario to hope for is that although the Kings have by far one of the worst roster's, they also have no incentive to tank. This mean's that when the Hawks, Knicks, Nets, and Suns of the world start dreaming of high draft picks, Sac will try to pick up some wins to establish their culture. I'd be happy if we end up with any where from 2-7 just to keep the pick out of Philly's hands.
we keep hearing this particular narrative here, yet, i don't see it as holding up when we check history.

brooklyn had no incentive to tank in either 2016 or 2017, yet they still stunk. as important as any supposed "desire" or plan to tank my be, sometimes rosters simply are filled with bad players and they stink without intentionally tanking.

i am betting that sacramento is one of those stinky teams.  ;D

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

we keep hearing this particular narrative here, yet, i don't see it as holding up when we check history.

brooklyn had no incentive to tank in either 2016 or 2017, yet they still stunk. as important as any supposed "desire" or plan to tank my be, sometimes rosters simply are filled with bad players and they stink without intentionally tanking.

Yeah, the lack of any incentive to tank doesn't stop teams with very little talent that doesn't really fit, an unimpressive coaching staff and a historically poor management from getting high picks. Sacramento fits that description
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah, the lack of any incentive to tank doesn't stop teams with very little talent that doesn't really fit, an unimpressive coaching staff and a historically poor management from getting high picks. Sacramento fits that description
The Kings were quite arguably the 2nd worst team last season but they only finished 7th worst. 

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
An under reported aspect of this is that the odds of landing the 1st pick in 2019 has been decreased. The top 3 teams all have an equal 14% shot of landing it instead of previously the #1 seed has 25%. Worst case, we have an 86% chance of getting the pick.
Another thing to take into account is the top 4 picks will be determined by the lottery.  So picks can drop 4 spots.  With the new odds if the Kings finish 2nd worst record, there is a 14% chance it ends up #1 and goes to the Sixers.  There is also a 47.8% chance that it drops to #5 or #6.  If they end up with the worst records, the chances are 14% for #1 and 47.9% for #5. 

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 11:39:27 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yes, although our chances of losing the pick go up, if the Kings are in the #3 spot or spots #5-#13.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

The Kings were quite arguably the 2nd worst team last season but they only finished 7th worst.

Exactly, for as bad as the Kings are in a vacuum/on paper they have an owner with deep pockets who is trying to build something.

As for the "very little talent" aspect well sure I guess but...

De'Aarron Fox - High draft pick, strong in the clutch last season, and has publicly gone at other players including Lonzo. Hardly an ideal roll over tank commander.

Bogdan Bogdnavonic - All rookie second team and is playing for his next contract after already amassing a solid body of work in Euro Legue
-Note apparently he just had 2 knee surguries this offseason not sure where he is with his health-

Harry Giles III - Considered by far the best player of his class. We've seen players come back from ACL tears and have productive careers. Giles has everything you look for in a modern big man and comes with Duke Pedigree.

Marvin Bagley III - Who knows how good he can be but it's orth noting that he has the capability of being an extremely productive rebounder and finisher at the NBA level. Was he drafted too high over guys like Wendell Carter and Doncic? Probably. Is he already a bust? far from it.

Buddy Hield - One of the better young shooters in the game. Definitely playing for a contract. Hield has all of the ability to become a high volume combo guard. He doesn't have to be Curry to be a positive player for this franchise.

Zach Randolph and Kosta Koufous - Helped steal some games last year particularly when he matched up against Boogie. Prideful, solid hand locker room presence.

Willey Caulie Stein - Make it break it year for WCS. Has shown flashes but never put it together. They waived Papagiannis who was one of his biggest competitors for minutes.

Skal Labisseire - Was the consensus number 1 pick until he fell off. Has looked bigger in offseason workouts this summer. They only need 1 of these guys to take the next step for the Kings to become a palatable roster

Yogi Ferrell and Nemanja Bijelcia - Stealing these guys were the move of a team that is trying to establish winning ways not a tank squad.

Personally think they will finish ahead of Atlanta, Phoenix, NYK, and Orlando. Possibly Brooklyn and we'll see what Memphis looks like if they falter out of the game and consider dropping Marc Gasol at the deadline.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:51:05 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Exactly, for as bad as the Kings are in a vacuum/on paper they have an owner with deep pockets who is trying to build something.

As for the "very little talent" aspect well sure I guess but...

De'Aarron Fox - High draft pick, strong in the clutch last season, and has publicly gone at other players including Lonzo. Hardly an ideal roll over tank commander.

Bogdan Bogdnavonic - All rookie second team and is playing for his next contract after already amassing a solid body of work in Euro Legue
-Note apparently he just had 2 knee surguries this offseason not sure where he is with his health-

Harry Giles III - Considered by far the best player of his class. We've seen players come back from ACL tears and have productive careers. Giles has everything you look for in a modern big man and comes with Duke Pedigree.

Marvin Bagley III - Who knows how good he can be but it's orth noting that he has the capability of being an extremely productive rebounder and finisher at the NBA level. Was he drafted too high over guys like Wendell Carter and Doncic? Probably. Is he already a bust? far from it.

Buddy Hield - One of the better young shooters in the game. Definitely playing for a contract. Hield has all of the ability to become a high volume combo guard. He doesn't have to be Curry to be a positive player for this franchise.

Zach Randolph and Kosta Koufous - Helped steal some games last year particularly when he matched up against Boogie. Prideful, solid hand locker room presence.

Willey Caulie Stein - Make it break it year for WCS. Has shown flashes but never put it together. They waived Papagiannis who was one of his biggest competitors for minutes.

Skal Labisseire - Was the consensus number 1 pick until he fell off. Has looked bigger in offseason workouts this summer. They only need 1 of these guys to take the next step for the Kings to become a palatable roster

Yogi Ferrell and Nemanja Bijelcia - Stealing these guys were the move of a team that is trying to establish winning ways not a tank squad.

Personally think they will finish ahead of Atlanta, Phoenix, NYK, and Orlando. Possibly Brooklyn and we'll see what Memphis looks like if they falter out of the game and consider dropping Marc Gasol at the deadline.
all that talent and positive assets you mention above and yet, their stink-ocity is incredibly high. how do you reconcile this apparent contradiction?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Or we can always trade the pick now to avoid it being conveyed. The Celtics are ready to contend, drafting is for the rebuilds. No need to strengthen our division rivals.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Or we can always trade the pick now to avoid it being conveyed. The Celtics are ready to contend, drafting is for the rebuilds. No need to strengthen our division rivals.
Why would we trade the pick (now I presume)? We are stacked and unless a major injury strikes we shouldn't pass up a chance for a shot at another cost-controlled, possible all-star level talent.
Who do you think we should trade the pick to and what kind of return do you expect?
We are very likely to lose M. Morris next off-season so maybe we can use the pick to replace him. I hope his replacement will be Robert Williams but he's a big question mark right now.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Why would we trade the pick (now I presume)? We are stacked and unless a major injury strikes we shouldn't pass up a chance for a shot at another cost-controlled, possible all-star level talent.
Who do you think we should trade the pick to and what kind of return do you expect?
We are very likely to lose M. Morris next off-season so maybe we can use the pick to replace him. I hope his replacement will be Robert Williams but he's a big question mark right now.

I have to ask. You are a contender and keep adding top notch talent to the back end. Why wouls you not do this?