Author Topic: Kyrie joins legendary status.....  (Read 2948 times)

Kyrie joins legendary status.....
« on: January 22, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
.....in Celtics History.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irving-accomplished-something-vs-011654611.html

I've done a complete 180 on this cat.

Always respected his basketball skill and talent and thought his leadership, defense, and size were negatives...but he's come a long way.

Still young and growing, learning, and maturing.

His play of late has been phenomenal.

Hopefully this team can rally around him and a resurgent Hayward leading us to an NBA Finals appearance.

Re: Kyrie joins legendary status.....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
.....in Celtics History.

Always respected his basketball skill and talent and thought his leadership, defense, and size were negatives...but he's come a long way.

Hopefully this team can rally around him and a resurgent Hayward leading us to an NBA Finals appearance.

Please dont include Irving + Legendary in the same sentence until he wins one or two more titles. Or has a long dynamic career

He is still ways away

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I really cannot wait to watch Kyrie in the playoffs.

I think he's going to show the world just how big time of a player he really is this spring.  It'll be his first playoff run as the unquestioned leader of a team, and I think he really is going to relish the opportunity.  Kyrie is the reason I still expect this team to get to the Finals.  He's the most unstoppable offensive force in the East.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
His all around effort has been much better this season than ever before in his career. His defense, rebounding, and desire to find teammates with the pass have all gone up a level.

The leadership thing, he's still working out but I think it's coming. He's been amazing this season but these last few weeks he's been MVP candidate great.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I think he's going to show the world just how big time of a player he really is this spring.  It'll be his first playoff run as the unquestioned leader of a team, and I think he really is going to relish the opportunity.  Kyrie is the reason I still expect this team to get to the Finals.  He's the most unstoppable offensive force in the East.

Disagree

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Disagree

Who's leading this team come spring if not Kyrie? 

Its abundantly clear who the alpha is on this team.  The glue guy might be Horford but this is Kyrie's team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
.....in Celtics History.

Please dont include Irving + Legendary in the same sentence until he wins one or two more titles. Or has a long dynamic career

He is still ways away

While I disagree with most of your Kyrie takes, I think you’re right here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 01:32:58 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This is just a motivated, prime Kyrie.

Career-highs in assists and steals recently, proving he can get others involved and play defense well enough.

I like him as the facilitator early (getting everyone involved and taking the easy looks opposed to iso-crazy), then the closer in the 4th.

I like to see him in the 22-30 point range nightly. Early in the season it was 3 points one night, 43 another. Let him do his thing when the opportunity presents itself, but depend on him down the stretch if we need to, not every minute he’s on the court.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Disagree

Who's leading this team come spring if not Kyrie? 

Its abundantly clear who the alpha is on this team.  The glue guy might be Horford but this is Kyrie's team.

So how is Kyrie the undisputed leader then??

Irving is the "panic" button we need points leader

Locker room leader/guys listening to him is another story

Not yet anyways

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
ftp://

He's trying to be the leader of the team.  I'm just not sure some of the guys want to be led by him. What I will say is I think the better move right now is to build around him. And he's one of the few guys who forces you to pay attention every time he has the ball because he might just do something special.  Last Celtic in that category was Rondo and before him Larry Bird.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
.....in Celtics History.

He is still ways away

Fair enough.

His passing has been stellar as of late and hes still scoring WITH EASE.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
To me, his leadership test is how much he contributes to Tatum and Brown's progress. How good they are in April, May and June  will decide whether we could win a championship with this group. It's a complicated problem for him to influence, and he certainly doesn't fully control over all of the factors, but that's the challenge. I don't think it matters that much if he is awesome and they don't grow as players.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 06:10:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
.....in Celtics History.

He is still ways away

Fair enough.

His passing has been stellar as of late and hes still scoring WITH EASE.

Yeah, he's not in the pantheon of Celtics greats yet, but he's playing at an All-NBA level.  He's passing and defending, while adding elite scoring in spurts when needed.

He's really figuring out when to be more deferential versus taking over games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Looking forward to his continued growth.

He is a joy to watch.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The kyrie hate is whacky