Author Topic: In Need of an Future Dominant Scorer NOW  (Read 1148 times)

In Need of an Future Dominant Scorer NOW
« on: June 23, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
This is the year, and perhaps our only chance of getting a future 1st option scorer, whether it be through the draft or free agency (unlikely) or a trade. With all of the big names being free agents this year and us having no real valuble trading chips beyond this year, we should really push for getting an elite scorer this offseason. Rondo, a hell of a player and building block, is far from a number one option.
The question is, who should we be pushing for and how?

Re: In Need of an Future Dominant Scorer NOW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I totally agree. The problem is the guys that could be that scorer are top 5. The guys we might be able to get our hands on (at 19 or trading up) either don't have that type of potential or are just as likely to bust. I personally want to draft Paul George, I think he could be that scorer, but i admit he could be a huge bust.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I really don't see a way that we could get a "future dominant scorer."  There are very, very few players in the league who fit that bill and they are generally speaking not for sale.  Even if they are, they cost far more than the Celtics have available to trade.

Really, barring some kind of fantasy trade (e.g. Pau Gasol to the Lakers), the Celtics aren't going to be getting any big names or even potential All-Stars this summer.

We're entering a down period, guys.  Things have to get worse before than can get better.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
This is the year, and perhaps our only chance of getting a future 1st option scorer, whether it be through the draft or free agency (unlikely) or a trade. With all of the big names being free agents this year and us having no real valuble trading chips beyond this year, we should really push for getting an elite scorer this offseason. Rondo, a hell of a player and building block, is far from a number one option.
The question is, who should we be pushing for and how?
Not enough chips to get it done.

The Celtics best chance at acquiring a top scorer is through their cap flexibility (2011 + 2012). Either in free agency or by trading expiring contracts or by using cap space to absorb contracts.

The team doesn't have good enough draft picks or trade assets to acquire that top scorer. Cap flexibility is the only hand they have.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
In the draft, Xavier Henry is our answer. Danny get er done.
I bleed Green