Author Topic: Danny Ainge on WEEI'S The Big Show Today @ 4pm  (Read 9757 times)

Re: Danny Ainge on WEEI'S The Big Show Today @ 4pm
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
Sounded like the C's may not match the market for Ray--or, possibly, for Pierce either.  Could be a very interesting couple of months.

I have no doubt in my mind that Pierce will be a Celtic for the rest of his career.
Now Ray... he's gone IMO. And I think that's the correct call ultimately, hopefully we can explore sign and trades.

I'm more concerned about Pierce now than ever.

1 - The Clippers have a glaring need at the 3 spot:

C - Kaman
PF - Griffin
SF - Max contract
SG - Gordan
PG - Davis

Bench - $4 to $6 million in cap space (after handing out a Max) and this year's Lottery pick.

2 - LAC has a ton of cap space and could offer 3 years/ $20 million a year to lure him.

3 - It's his hometown.

4 - He's good buddies with Davis.

I'm not scared about this... I'm pretty sure if PP leaves Ainge take us a better and younger player.

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Sounded like the C's may not match the market for Ray--or, possibly, for Pierce either.  Could be a very interesting couple of months.

The Clips are up and coming, as Pierce knows, and LA seems to be the only other city that has really called to him.

I have no doubt in my mind that Pierce will be a Celtic for the rest of his career.
Now Ray... he's gone IMO. And I think that's the correct call ultimately, hopefully we can explore sign and trades.

I'm more concerned about Pierce now than ever.

1 - The Clippers have a glaring need at the 3 spot:

C - Kaman
PF - Griffin
SF - Max contract
SG - Gordan
PG - Davis

Bench - $4 to $6 million in cap space (after handing out a Max) and this year's Lottery pick.

2 - LAC has a ton of cap space and could offer 3 years/ $20 million a year to lure him.

3 - It's his hometown.

4 - He's good buddies with Davis.

I don't think Pierce's ego would mesh well with going to the Clippers - especially since it would be in his home town. The Laker fans (including Pierce's friends and family) look waaaaayyyy down on the Clippers.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
My theory:

They've known this was Sheed's last year since the begining.

If that were the case, why offer 3 years?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
If --- and that's a huge if --- Pierce wanted to go to the Clippers, we would very likely do a S&T; the Clippers are notoriously cheap and aren't gonna pay more than they have to, esp. with a potential lockout.

I wan't Pierce to retire a Celtic (and for the C's to reload, not blow up tthis summer), but it we got Eric Gordon and a future Clippers #1 for him (and the cap room left by Pierce) that's an OK plan C
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
My theory:

Could be 1) C's know they can then use him as a trading chip to a team looking to shed contracts 2) Sheed gets a small buyout (e.g. $1-$2MM), so his contract for last year was more like $7.6MM instead of $5.6MM.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
My theory:

Could be 1) C's know they can then use him as a trading chip to a team looking to shed contracts 2) Sheed gets a small buyout (e.g. $1-$2MM), so his contract for last year was more like $7.6MM instead of $5.6MM.

Very smart move.
TP to Danny

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
My theory:

Actually, it probably has something to do with a (relatively obscure) part of the CBA known as the Over-36 rule

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q49

i just don't have the brain power at this point to try and explain it but i'm sure it meant more $ for Sheed, and more flexibility for the Celtics at the time of his signing.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2010, 05:54:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
My theory:

Bigger buy out and trade options (Jack_Frost  got it). If the Celtics could have offered 1 year for $8 Million they would have. They circumvented the cap by doing a 3 year deal with a handshake agreement he would retire after 1 year.

May 4, 2009 -- SLAM contributor J. Gamble [making his debut with us next issue] hears from a close personal friend of Rasheed Wallace’s that unless Sheed gets $8 million to play next year, he’s going to retire. If that’s true, we’ve probably seen the last of Sheed in the NBA.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/05/sheed-to-retire/

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
If --- and that's a huge if --- Pierce wanted to go to the Clippers, we would very likely do a S&T; the Clippers are notoriously cheap and aren't gonna pay more than they have to, esp. with a potential lockout.

I wan't Pierce to retire a Celtic (and for the C's to reload, not blow up tthis summer), but it we got Eric Gordon and a future Clippers #1 for him (and the cap room left by Pierce) that's an OK plan C

???

They spent almost $62 million on payroll last year and are now in position to bring in Pierce, make the playoffs and reduce payroll all at the same time. From that stance, no way they sign and trade when they can flat out steal him.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_clippers.htm

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
But it's the clippers we're talking about Jsaad... they're always looking to save money (in this case offsetting the $6M they owe Gordon over the next 2 years) and replacing him with 2-3 vet min guys...

you're right, if you or i were running the clips, no way we S&T for Pierce, but if you or i ran the clips they mighta been good by now.

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
A simple question:

Can we sign a max free agent (ok, i know: it's unlikely) and THEN re-sign Ray Allen via bird-rights?

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
A simple question:

Can we sign a max free agent (ok, i know: it's unlikely) and THEN re-sign Ray Allen via bird-rights?

Barring a sign and trade. NO. We're over cap.
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=28668.0
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2010, 06:12:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
A simple question:

No

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
A simple question:

Barring a sign and trade. NO. We're over cap.
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=28668.0

Correct question was:

Considering (for absurd) we have signed a max free agent using cap space(PP goes to Clippers, Rasheed retires etc)... Can we re-sign Ray Allen using bird rights?

Anyway thanks for your reply, i found the answer (NO) on the link you posted
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:24:16 PM by Jack_Frost »

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 06:50:03 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
But it's the clippers we're talking about Jsaad... they're always looking to save money (in this case offsetting the $6M they owe Gordon over the next 2 years) and replacing him with 2-3 vet min guys...

you're right, if you or i were running the clips, no way we S&T for Pierce, but if you or i ran the clips they mighta been good by now.

I hear what your saying, I've just never seen the Clippers with this type of talent on roster and cap space all in one go. I'd be shocked if they traded Gordon, Griffin, Davis or even Kaman. Money wise there is no reason too. They are a Paul Pierce away from having possibly the best starting 5 in the NBA. After James, Pierce is the #1 SF on the market.