Author Topic: Time to blow it up  (Read 5959 times)

Re: Time to blow it up
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
the gloom and doom talk is odd - we got healthy and beat everyone in the east and were 5 points away from winning it all. yes, everyone will be a year older, but KG will be healthier, we've got a better pick (19 in a deep draft, possibly another first if we can buy one, as teams are selling), and 1 and maybe 2 MLE contracts (if sheed retires and we're able to trade his contract for somebody else to save them cap money and get us a decent player). things aren't that bleak.

During the playoff run there was a lot of talk about the 1969 title team.  Right now, we're getting ready for the 1970 team, when 3 key players retired in the offseason.  Today, we're going into next year without Sheed and with Perk out, and nearly no bench signed at all except perennial bench role player BBD.  The veteran starters have shown they can't do the marathon without being limited to 28 minutes per game.

That can be interpreted as "bleak", or that we're 2 players and some luck away from contending.  Either way, it's time to let go of 2008 and face the team we have today.  It is, at best, a hazy picture.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Blow up what?  This thread?

I guess the offseaon isn't called the crazy season for no reason.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

The way i see it, the Celtics have two options: Plan on the lockout and just run the same team out there for the next 2 years (with one of those likely being a lockout).  You'll sell tickets, wander through the regular seasons, and try to make some noise in the playoffs.  But the window of a championship is probably closed.

or blow it up.  My blow-it-up scenario is admittedly wishful thinking that requires many things to fall into place.

1) Convince Lebron to sign in Chicago.  We'll trade Kevin Garnett to Chicago for Luol Deng and Hinrich.  I believe that saves Chi some money too to help sign Lebron. 

Chicago would have a core of: Rose, Whomever, Lebron, Garnett, and Noah.  With Tom Thibs coaching.

2) Tell Pierce he needs to either Opt out, or we're trading him to the Wolves for Jefferson and Gomes.  The T-wolves are looking to rebuild and getting rid of Jefferson and Gomes contracts while reloading with all their draft picks makes sense for them.  The suffer through Pierce's deal for a year, or could turn around and trade him for parts, or sign and trade him at the end of his contract.

Boston would then have: Rondo, Hinrich, Deng, Jefferson, Perk with Big Baby and Gomes off the bench.

Boston would also still have Ray Allen's rights (keep him or sign and trade him) and the likely retirement contract of Rasheed Wallace.   Both of those are very valuable to flesh out the roster.  I'd probably keep Ray for reasonable dollars, and try to move Wallace's contract.  But if we're looking to build for the future, moving Ray for younger legs is probably the way to go.

Congrats! You just turned a Finals contender into a below average team. Bravo!

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The only way I blow the team up is if we are left with young superstars as building blocks or TONS of cap space to sign FA's.

There is no scenario that affords either option right now.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Remember when we kept saying in 2002 that that team was a "mirage?"

Well, that's my feelings toward this current team.  I don't think we can repeat next season what we did this season.  I really believe this year was more mentally draining on these guys than they'd want to admit because it took so much effort for them to get there.  I just don't think they can do it again...it's a trap to believe otherwise...  (I believe our head coach even shares these thoughts privately.)

I agree with the OP and would consider getting out the dynamite...

Blasphemy!! How can anyone say the 2002 team was a "mirage"?

If the front office brought the same team back in 2003 and got swept in the 2nd Round to the Nets...then, yes, maybe it was a "mirage"....but the front office didn't bring the same team back.

The front office let Roger walk, traded our starting point guard for Vin Baker who proceeded to take a drinking binge vacation that season.

With Rogers jumping ship to the Nets, Baker at the bar, & Kenny Anderson dancing in the Seattle rain, the Celtics lost a key bench player/6th man, their starting SF/PF and their starting PG.

The biggest loss was Kenny Anderson. It forced the Celtics to start Tony Delk & or J.R. Bremer which forced the Celtics to run the offense through Walker and Pierce even more than they did the previous season.

If Pierce opts out to another team and Ray Allen leaves to a lucrative offer then we will be left with KG and Rondo and it will be a repeat of the 2002-2003 season.

There's your mirage.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The Celtics will blow it up if Doc leaves, Rasheed retires, Ray signs elsewhere, and Pierce opts out and asks for multiple years and a lot of money.

If all of that happens (doomsday scenario) then the Celtics will be a totally different team next year and probably win fewer than 40 games.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

Well, that's my feelings toward this current team.  I don't think we can repeat next season what we did this season.  I really believe this year was more mentally draining on these guys than they'd want to admit because it took so much effort for them to get there.  I just don't think they can do it again...it's a trap to believe otherwise...  (I believe our head coach even shares these thoughts privately.)

Blasphemy!! How can anyone say the 2002 team was a "mirage"?

If the front office brought the same team back in 2003 and got swept in the 2nd Round to the Nets...then, yes, maybe it was a "mirage"....but the front office didn't bring the same team back.

The front office let Roger walk, traded our starting point guard for Vin Baker who proceeded to take a drinking binge vacation that season.

With Rogers jumping ship to the Nets, Baker at the bar, & Kenny Anderson dancing in the Seattle rain, the Celtics lost a key bench player/6th man, their starting SF/PF and their starting PG.

The biggest loss was Kenny Anderson. It forced the Celtics to start Tony Delk & or J.R. Bremer which forced the Celtics to run the offense through Walker and Pierce even more than they did the previous season.

If Pierce opts out to another team and Ray Allen leaves to a lucrative offer then we will be left with KG and Rondo and it will be a repeat of the 2002-2003 season.

There's your mirage.

I believe Danny felt it couldn't be sustained, which is why he went in an entirely different direction.  You really believe that a team that chucked three pointers at will (namely antoine walker) would have been a championship contender?  hardly...

they made a nice run, and it was fun to witness, but the trade of joe johnson and not resigning rogers was a death-blow to that team.  That team wasn't going any further...

And neither is this current team either...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This team doesn't need much further to go.

They gave the Lakers life by losing Game 3.

Finals should have been over in 5 games.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
This team doesn't need much further to go.

They gave the Lakers life by losing Game 3.

Finals should have been over in 5 games.

True that. I predicted five... Game 3 is what killed us.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I don't think its wise to rebuild when you've got a top-3 pg going into the prime of his career.  Pierce & Allen will always be good role players to surround such a skilled PG with. 

I see us running this same top 8 back next year with Danny trying to re-tool up front to replace Sheed and Quis. 
Our ticket to rebuild is when the Big Ticket's deal is expiring.

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't think its wise to rebuild when you've got a top-3 pg going into the prime of his career.  Pierce & Allen will always be good role players to surround such a skilled PG with. 

Well, the problem is that a great PG really needs a good front line to have success.  The Celtics' biggest weakness atm is their front line, and it's difficult to see how that will improve all that much next season.

KG is no longer even an All-Star caliber player, and Perk will be out for most of the year.  Rasheed is retiring.  Big Baby is a solid backup energy / hustle guy at best.

The Celtics also desperately lack a go-to scorer now that Pierce and Allen have declined.  Rondo is many things but unfortunately he is not a scorer.  Even though he is our best player, he can not be the focal point of our offense.  That's really the Celtics' biggest problem.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Rondo.            Nate
Gay.                 T Allen
Iguodala.          George
Al jefferson.    BBD
Haywood.      Sanders.  Sheldon

Resign nate, allen, and sheldon.  Trade KG to Jazz for thier draft pick and select Paul George. Draft Sanders at 19. Trade Perkins and an expiring Sheed to Minn for Jefferson. With KG gone, we have cap relief and even more if we let pierce and ray walk. With that said, offer Gay a max contract. Sign and trade ray and a future pick to philly for A.I. sign Haywood for the mle and pick up another servicable vet with the vet min. Then bail out Antoine Walker from jail and sign him as our mascot.

WAHLAA

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Well, that's my feelings toward this current team.  I don't think we can repeat next season what we did this season.  I really believe this year was more mentally draining on these guys than they'd want to admit because it took so much effort for them to get there.  I just don't think they can do it again...it's a trap to believe otherwise...  (I believe our head coach even shares these thoughts privately.)

We can easily contend next year. I don't think it was especially mentally draining to go 27-27 over the last 2/3 of the season.

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I can tell there are some still on a drinking spree from the lost.Blow up this thread sounds more like it.

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29

Well, that's my feelings toward this current team.  I don't think we can repeat next season what we did this season.  I really believe this year was more mentally draining on these guys than they'd want to admit because it took so much effort for them to get there.  I just don't think they can do it again...it's a trap to believe otherwise...  (I believe our head coach even shares these thoughts privately.)

We can easily contend next year. I don't think it was especially mentally draining to go 27-27 over the last 2/3 of the season.

What if Doc decides to leave? Raaheed is most likely going to retire. Do you really think we can contend with an even older Pierce and KG, Perk just coming off of a major injury, and the uncertainty  of Ray even being there or not? And a new coach on top of that.
Lets be logical.