Author Topic: 3 Western Conference Playoff teams very interested in Tony Allen  (Read 8981 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Pursuit of Tony Allen:

Yesterday, it was reported that Raja Bell and the Los Angeles Lakers have mutual interest in one another as July approaches But another defensive stopper is also drawing interest from contenders Three Western Conference playoff teams have already expressed interest in signing Boston Celtics shooting guard Tony Allen, according to a source Allen, who had an excellent postseason and drew the Kobe stopper label during the Finals, has said that he would love to return to the Celtics but the source says he will weigh his options this summer Boston has focused their attention on the futures of Doc Rivers and Ray Allen but the team's other Allen may have played himself into a bigger contract that is out of the Celtics' range There is always a market for a young defensive stopper and if the interest in Allen more than a week before free agency starts is any indication, there will be many teams lining up to make their bid

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16552

I think it is going to be really hard to keep TA if he is going to get anything near the full MLE. I love his defense, but he has a history of injuries and no offensive game to speak of. I think you try to grab a defensive stopper in the 2nd round or with the vet min .  Use the money you were going to use on TA and sign Nate for 3mil/2 yrs if he takes it and use the other 3 mil on a defensive minded wing

Re: 3 Western Conference Playoff teams very interested in Tony Allen
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
eekk... Who would throw the MLE at Tony right now? I don't think anyone needs to seriously worry about that one.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If so, another sign and trade candidate has arrived.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

bingo

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

bingo

this made me think of this for the first time in many years.  Needed to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRo5XCKddQ

What a bizarre career Tony Allen has had.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

bingo

My thoughts exactly.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

bingo

My thoughts exactly.

First thing I thought of too... need to get in the driver's seat and drum up some healthy competition for him. 

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Why do they keep referring to TA as "young"?  He's been in the league what, six years?  Pretty sure he played four years at Oklahoma State.  He's 28 years old.  I was stoked he was finally able to give us a lot more "Good Tony" when it counted, but anyone who's looking for him to be more that a part-time player is going to be severely disappointed.  On the offensive end, he's still one of the more boneheaded players in the league.

I'm fine with TA coming back next year, but I'll be extremely disappointed if its for more than a 4th-wing role.  We need a Mike Miller, or a Travis Outlaw, or a JJ Reddick on the C's, someone that we can trust to play 30 minutes a night without screwing too many things up.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah if someone is dumb enough to give Allen the full MLE we should definitely jump on the chance to get a better player back in a sign and trade.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This may be the wrong time to let Tony go.  I'm not saying mistakes will disappear, but the positives could really start to dwarf the negatives even more than they did this year....

remember....he saved our butts a couple of times during this year's playoff run.  I guarantee he'd be missed.  It's not the case he's got no offensive game.  He's got no outside game and he needs to not have the ball in his hand imo, but he can score.  I think if we used him as a starter next year (25-30 minutes per game), he'd average 10-15 points.  Meanwhile, he'd pick up steals, disrupt, and make it difficult for other team's best wing to get anything going early...

If we were rebuilding I might feel different and try to get some value for him.  As is, I think we need him more than what we'd get back....

Agree you do have to see what other would give up, as many have stated.  I'm not against that.

I'm sure Danny's still in love with Tyreke Evans....maybe he wants to trade Rondo and Tony Allen and pick #19 for Tyreke Evans and pick #5......(plus the details).

Since I tossed that out there I'll say I wouldn't do that....
I'm not convinced you can get a star at #5.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This may be the wrong time to let Tony go.  I'm not saying mistakes will disappear, but the positives could really start to dwarf the negatives even more than they did this year....

remember....he saved our butts a couple of times during this year's playoff run.  I guarantee he'd be missed.  It's not the case he's got no offensive game.  He's got no outside game and he needs to not have the ball in his hand imo, but he can score.  I think if we used him as a starter next year (25-30 minutes per game), he'd average 10-15 points.  Meanwhile, he'd pick up steals, disrupt, and make it difficult for other team's best wing to get anything going early...

If we were rebuilding I might feel different and try to get some value for him.  As is, I think we need him more than what we'd get back....

Agree you do have to see what other would give up, as many have stated.  I'm not against that.

I'm sure Danny's still in love with Tyreke Evans....maybe he wants to trade Rondo and Tony Allen and pick #19 for Tyreke Evans and pick #5......(plus the details).

Since I tossed that out there I'll say I wouldn't do that....
I'm not convinced you can get a star at #5.

I rather have Rondo as the PG.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Red used to say there are only two parts of the game:  offense and defense.  I prefer players with some, or at least one, skill at both.

Tony isn't that guy.

Pair him in a starting unit at 30 minutes and he'll have 4 TO's.

Put him out there with Rondo, Perk, and an offensively declining KG, and we'll lose games 65-60, but play great defense.

Only two parts of the game...simple.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Red used to say there are only two parts of the game:  offense and defense.  I prefer players with some, or at least one, skill at both.

Tony isn't that guy.

Put him out there with Rondo, Perk, and an offensively declining KG, and we'll lose games 65-60, but play great defense.

you're saying it would be that bad after watching this year's playoffs?  He was slowed by an ankle injury in the middle of some awesome play.....Utah.  Now there's a mistake free team.  Didn't get far though.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 11:38:40 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Tony isn't that guy.

you're saying it would be that bad after watching this year's playoffs?  He was slowed by an ankle injury in the middle of some awesome play.....Utah.  Now there's a mistake free team.  Didn't get far though.

Since he started contributing more regularly this season and doing some good things, I've been of the opinion that his success is due directly to him having a limited, but clear, role in limited minutes.  Keeping him in that position, I think, is the key to him being thought of as a good NBA player.  Some players fill a role, and then get better/develop, and the role expands.  After 6 years in the league, Tony is who he is:  a 15 minute defensive bench role player.  He's good at that.  That's why he makes $2.5 million a year.  He can't do more than that, which is why no team should pay him $6 million/year.

In that amount of time, he can avoid touching the basketball.  In 30 starters minutes, teams will key the defense to funnel him the ball, then buy squares as to which fan in the 3rd row catches a pass that game.  Unfortunately, several people will likely have to split the pot, as the ball will be going everywhere.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Red used to say there are only two parts of the game:  offense and defense.  I prefer players with some, or at least one, skill at both.

Tony isn't that guy.

you're saying it would be that bad after watching this year's playoffs?  He was slowed by an ankle injury in the middle of some awesome play.....Utah.  Now there's a mistake free team.  Didn't get far though.

Since he started contributing more regularly this season and doing some good things, I've been of the opinion that his success is due directly to him having a limited, but clear, role in limited minutes.  Keeping him in that position, I think, is the key to him being thought of as a good NBA player.  Some players fill a role, and then get better/develop, and the role expands.  After 6 years in the league, Tony is who he is:  a 15 minute defensive bench role player.  He's good at that.  That's why he makes $2.5 million a year.  He can't do more than that, which is why no team should pay him $6 million/year.

In that amount of time, he can avoid touching the basketball.  In 30 starters minutes, teams will key the defense to funnel him the ball, then buy squares as to which fan in the 3rd row catches a pass that game.  Unfortunately, several people will likely have to split the pot, as the ball will be going everywhere.

okay you've got me down to 25 minutes.  I think at 25 minutes his weakness can be hidden, which is not to say there won't be turnovers, but there are always turnovers anyway....we practically led the league in them with Tony on the bench.  

But basically, my point is that I think the total effect he has on a game would outweigh his mistakes......

Ray would come off the bench, play more minutes and finish games....

For people who can't stomach ugly-looking mistakes on offense, I agree it's not the direction you go....(you keep him in his current role).

I can stomach the ugly turnovers as long as the overall TO numbers aren't worse/catastrophic....