Author Topic: How about Vinny Del Negro  (Read 3076 times)

How about Vinny Del Negro
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
In the event that Doc decides not to return (God I hope he does) I wouldn't be too upset to see vinny as our next coach. I think he did a good job in chicago. He was unfairly blamed for the shortcomings of this season imo. Bottomline the bulls need more offense , letting Ben Wallace go was a mistake. Anyhow he is from massachusetts so it would be sort of a homecoming. Again it would SO hurt if Doc didn't return but of all the coaches out there I think Vinny deserves a look. Definately not Mike Brown. Sorry i'm not to thrilled about him as a coach.

Re: How about Vinny Del Negro
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
NOOOOOO!

OK, a little bit of an overreaction, but I think you just listed the very last coach I would ever want.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Really? So Mike brown has proven to be a better coach in your opinion. I'm sorry i'll have to disagree. I think he's just benefitted from having a talented roster. Ahh well just a thought. Again not saying he's the next Red or Phil jackson but I still stand by my thoughts that he did a good job in Chi town. In this instance it wasn't the coaches fault. Too often they blame/fire the coach when the truth is the players just suck or Management made the wrong player moves. In chicago's case I think it was the latter.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »

Offline Papatrichs

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Pass... how about within the Celtics family. say.... SCAL?

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »

Offline PeaceSignMoose

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm still fairly certain that Doc is coming back, but if he doesn't, is there any doubt that Kevin McHale would get the job? 

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
I like Vinny a lot, he brought Chicago to the playoffs the last two years when the team was supposed to be in a rebuilding mode. I know everyone remembers that series in 2008, that was my absolute favorite series ever. And everyone remembers how that went to 7 games? No one expected it to happen. I like Vinny as an assistant only though, assuming Doc comes back. Another assistant coach I'd like to see is Lawrence Frank, he reminds me of Thibs in regards to his work ethic.
I bleed Green

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Not a big fan of Vinny although he's apparently well-liked by players.

Still not convinced Doc is leaving. Bulpett's weekend story suggested Boston expected him back, with concessions from the team to allow him to miss practices now and then to see his kids. And Doc's WEEI interview wasn't declarative one way or another on a literal or tonal level, IMO.

If he does leave, I'd be pretty crushed. But Kevin McHale would be my choice, not just because he seems to have the makings of an excellent coach but because his presence might ensure a longer term for Danny in the GM's chair.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
How about Mark Jackson? I think Rondo will continue to flourish with a coach who also was a solid PG in the NBA. Someone mentioned Byron Scott today and I nearly vomited purple and gold. Not only would I not want a former Laker as our coach, Byron Scott is the poster child for the most hated Laker.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
NO. no chance. no way.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Not a big fan of Vinny although he's apparently well-liked by players.

Still not convinced Doc is leaving. Bulpett's weekend story suggested Boston expected him back, with concessions from the team to allow him to miss practices now and then to see his kids. And Doc's WEEI interview wasn't declarative one way or another on a literal or tonal level, IMO.

If he does leave, I'd be pretty crushed. But Kevin McHale would be my choice, not just because he seems to have the makings of an excellent coach but because his presence might ensure a longer term for Danny in the GM's chair.

Really don't want to see Doc go.  If he IS gone, I really think Jeff Van Gundy would have as good a chance as anyone of connecting with these guys and continuing all of the good things that have happened these past three years.  Guy's smart, well-respected, defensively-oriented.  Think he'd fit in well.

If those rumors about Doc taking a little more time off (but still staying head coach) are true, I think you look to bring in Lawrence Frank as the Assistant Head Coach.  Can't have two head coaches, but you can have #1 and #1a in his absence.  Frank's another smart, well-regarded guy.  This season was a disaster in New Jersey, they basically mercy-killed him out of respect before the losing got too extreme.  Still, he generally did a good job, he's got experience working with some strong personalities.  Not sure I'd want him as head coach, but rather have him handling a few practices or maybe on the sidelines of a few games than someone without any head coaching experience (like Thibs).

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
A little slow and I don't imagine his jumpshot is what it used to be...

Oh, you meant coach.  Hell NOOOOOOOOOO!!
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
In the event that Doc decides not to return (God I hope he does) I wouldn't be too upset to see vinny as our next coach. I think he did a good job in chicago. He was unfairly blamed for the shortcomings of this season imo. Bottomline the bulls need more offense , letting Ben Wallace go was a mistake. Anyhow he is from massachusetts so it would be sort of a homecoming. Again it would SO hurt if Doc didn't return but of all the coaches out there I think Vinny deserves a look. Definately not Mike Brown. Sorry i'm not to thrilled about him as a coach.

Vinny is a good coach. I will prefer to keep Doc. If Doc does not come back, better Larry Brown if he does not continue with Bobcats

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:07 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
Hell no. I can already see us in a crucial situation in the playoffs. Game 7, down by 1 with 2 seconds left to go in the game and........NO FREAKING TIMEOUTS!

Please...don't even think about VDN
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I have to say no after that mess in Chicago. 

What did he do right?

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think if Doc leaves we gotta go Mchale right?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16