Author Topic: What if Pierce Wants Big Money?  (Read 9176 times)

Re: What if Pierce Wants Big Money?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Don't under estimate Pierce's value in the open market. There are many teams that clear cap space to get a shot at a 1st tier FA. The teams who lose in that gamble are not going to go empty handed. That increases a proven veteran's value to a team that feels it needs an All-star to get to the next level, or is one 2nd or 3rd option away from a title. They will over pay for guys like Pierce and Ray Allen because they know the C's will match most reasonable offers. But will the C's want to give Pierce 15-17mil? No. But will other "desperate" teams, probably! That's why I personally am convinced that Ray Allen will not be a Celtic. Loyalty is a pleasant idea, but seriously, if someone waved a few million dollars more A YEAR in your face with a higher possibility at another title (what you play before, besides the money) than wouldn't you take it? Or say, "naw, sorry. I'm good. My boss is cool and I really hate moving..."

Re: What if Pierce Wants Big Money?
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Don't under estimate Pierce's value in the open market. There are many teams that clear cap space to get a shot at a 1st tier FA. The teams who lose in that gamble are not going to go empty handed. That increases a proven veteran's value to a team that feels it needs an All-star to get to the next level, or is one 2nd or 3rd option away from a title. They will over pay for guys like Pierce and Ray Allen because they know the C's will match most reasonable offers. But will the C's want to give Pierce 15-17mil? No. But will other "desperate" teams, probably! That's why I personally am convinced that Ray Allen will not be a Celtic. Loyalty is a pleasant idea, but seriously, if someone waved a few million dollars more A YEAR in your face with a higher possibility at another title (what you play before, besides the money) than wouldn't you take it? Or say, "naw, sorry. I'm good. My boss is cool and I really hate moving..."

I would say half of people may stay. I know for me, personally, I have done the same thing twice in my life when I had the possibility of a 25-50% raise but love my position and company and hate moving...So it very possible he would stay IMHO.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird