Author Topic: What if Pierce Wants Big Money?  (Read 9178 times)

Re: What if Pierce Wants Big Money?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Paul just posted serious career numbers.

.472 FG% (career high)
.414 3PT% (career high)
.852 FT% (career high)
2.3 TO-PG (career low)

30 games of 20+ points.

Pierce could easily be more aggressive if he wanted to, but he knows it’s more important to save himself.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 01:14:11 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Who -

why so high on Thomas? I like that he could be a running big man, not sure he's that good - can he post up in the half court?

I think they need an athletic wing that can play above the rim and a shooter - neither can need the ball too much, unless Rondo learns to catch and shoot..

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 01:40:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Who -

why so high on Thomas? I like that he could be a running big man, not sure he's that good - can he post up in the half court?

I think they need an athletic wing that can play above the rim and a shooter - neither can need the ball too much, unless Rondo learns to catch and shoot..
Tyrus Thomas -- current ability -- good-to-very good defender + good rebounder + solid complementary offensive player

Tyrus Thomas -- future potential -- very good-to-excellent defender + good-to-very good rebounder + very good complementary offensive player.

I think Tyrus Thomas is already a good-to-very good role player and has the capacity to become an elite role player due to his ability to impact games defensively and on the backboards.

I feel that Tyrus' quickness and shot-blocking are a perfect match to Perkins' low post defense and brute strength + that they can be a great defensive duo. One of the finest in the league for the next half a decade. Thomas' quickness also gives Boston the capacity to build one of the best transition teams in the league both offensively and defensively.

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Who -

Tyrus Thomas -- current ability -- good-to-very good defender + good rebounder + solid complementary offensive player

Tyrus Thomas -- future potential -- very good-to-excellent defender + good-to-very good rebounder + very good complementary offensive player.

I think Tyrus Thomas is already a good-to-very good role player and has the capacity to become an elite role player due to his ability to impact games defensively and on the backboards.

I feel that Tyrus' quickness and shot-blocking are a perfect match to Perkins' low post defense and brute strength + that they can be a great defensive duo. One of the finest in the league for the next half a decade. Thomas' quickness also gives Boston the capacity to build one of the best transition teams in the league both offensively and defensively.

Theres also the friendship of him and Glen Davis. Former college teammates coming off the bench together, and competing together in practice... that could be a good thing.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 01:56:40 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Who -

Starting Power Forwards

Garnett + Dirk + Bosh + Gasol + Boozer + Amare + West + Brand/Young + Aldridge + J.Smith + Jamison + Lee + Love + Scola + Lewis + Martin + Randolph + Landry + Green + Diaw + Millsap + Odom + Beasley + McDyess + Murphy + Gibson

Out of that list, how many players have the defensive ability of Tyrus Thomas?

How many of those players have the defensive versatility of Thomas? The ability to cover perimeter orientated big men, face up big men, low post big men. To defend the pick and roll at a high level both on and off the ball, to make quality defensive rotations, to play high quality transition defense, to close out on shooters? And, finally, to be a shot-blocker?

I count four players -- Garnett, Odom, J.Smith, Kenyon Martin -- there are a couple others (3 maybe 4 others) that bring 80% of what Thomas brings to the table defensively. Who can have a comparable impact to Thomas' current defensive ability but have no hope of ever reaching or coming close to his defensive potential because they lack his defensive versatility and athleticism.

It is very rare to find a power forward who can play the type of quick footed defense the Celtics need alongside Perkins (both in man-to-man situations + team defense) and provide a second high quality shot-blocker in the paint. It's very rare to find a defender who does both at a high level and Thomas is one of those guys.

Thomas is the perfect defensive complement to Perkins and along with Rondo those three instantly give you the foundation to a top ten defensive team and create a very real possibility of building a top five, perhaps top three, defensive squad.

---------------------------------------------------

Tyrus Thomas is already an above average defender/rebounder at his position and he has the potential to be a devastating defender and high level rebounder. He chips in another 10-12 points on top of that and it's just gravy.

Unbelievable value for an MLE signing.

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 07:59:48 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have a hard time seeing Pierce as a 15+ million dollar player at this point. 

He still is talented, but there is a decline right now. 

Yes, I know he became a better jumpshooter.

His other abilities are on the downwards path.  He can be neutralized by good defenders.   (where two years ago, he could only be slowed down)

We are seeing his game evolve as he ages, which one must do to have a long career.  But it is evolving to a game that isn't near max contract level.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:19 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Who -

I like Thomas and think he has some value and skills, but on the court with Perk you'd be putting a lot of scoring pressure on the wings.

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I have a hard time seeing Pierce as a 15+ million dollar player at this point. 

He still is talented, but there is a decline right now. 

Yes, I know he became a better jumpshooter.

His other abilities are on the downwards path.  He can be neutralized by good defenders.   (where two years ago, he could only be slowed down)

We are seeing his game evolve as he ages, which one must do to have a long career.  But it is evolving to a game that isn't near max contract level.

Pierce actually had a bad year shooting from the mid-range. I don't think there's any part of his game that isn't in decline.

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Pierce actually had a bad year shooting from the mid-range. I don't think there's any part of his game that isn't in decline.

His outside (3 pt) shot now falls at an elite rate. That is very valuable in this league. His offense is still very good and he gets any shot he desires against poor to average defenders. He just happened to run into 2 of the 3 guys that have the size and agility to slow him down still in Artest and Lebron.

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 10:01:04 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Give Paul 3 years / $30 million.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

His outside (3 pt) shot now falls at an elite rate. That is very valuable in this league. His offense is still very good and he gets any shot he desires against poor to average defenders. He just happened to run into 2 of the 3 guys that have the size and agility to slow him down still in Artest and Lebron.

Problem is that'll keep happening in the playoffs. And he'll struggle more and more to defend guys like Lebron.

The three-point percentage is nice but we'll see if it's a holdover.

Lost in all the discussion about KG being better next year is that Pierce may very well be worse.

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

With the probable lockout, that is basically a 2 year, 20 million contract.

One more reason I doubt he opts out. 

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

With the probable lockout, that is basically a 2 year, 20 million contract.

One more reason I doubt he opts out. 

Pierce would take that as an extension, not in lieu of the $20M he's owed next year.

Even without a lockout, Pierce opting out and signing a 3/$30 deal would be be the same as him playing out his current contract and signing a two-year MLE deal next offseason.  Even though he's getting older, Pierce in twelve months will be worth a lot more than that.

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I don't think he opts out. Bad for the team and for him. Better for him to make 20 mil this season, and then sign a short 5-8mil type contract next year. He still gets 35 to 40 million of the next 3 years, which is what he should get if he opts out and this is cap friendlier.

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:53 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
No interest in signing Paul Pierce to a contract extension. Cut the cord.

If we can be players in Free Agency this summer, I'm completely for this. All it takes is trading KG and then Piercing opting out = 2 max free agents (assuming Sheed retires).

Red Auerbach wouldn’t be able to pull off trading KG.

perhaps not. but i have no doubt that ainge could and would if the right deal came up. ainge is like theo on this point. theo shipped nomar out and he was the face of the red sox.

my only question is what anyone would offer for kg that would make it worth trading him? minnesota got a boat load of talent from boston, but are still sitting in the lottery.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva