Author Topic: Allen Iverson  (Read 7662 times)

Re: Allen Iverson
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 12:15:04 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
And AI allegedly had a drinking problem as well. I think this was also part of the reason why he took off this year.

Look, I'm not making excuses for the man, but over the last few years the Boston Celtics have had a history of bringing in "Troubled" players and seeing them contribute in Big Ways. Let's see:

Stephon Marbury - helped us win a game in the playoffs 08-09. And overall seemed to fit in well with us, until he wanted a little more money than we had to offer, if I'm not mistaken. But while he was on the team, I don't recall him being a troublemaker.

Sheed - well he did himself proud at the end. Almost took us to the Promised Land, and carried us on his bad back in a few games during the Playoff Run.

Nate - didn't seem to be fitting in...was a potential troublemaker, but helped us in several games this playoff run. Maybe the best backup PG I've seen on this roster in the last few years. He played limited minutes behind Rajon, and I think made the most of them.

Tony Allen - some of us were about to give up on him, due to his at one time questionable character, but he turned it around.....matured and stayed healthy. I think TA had maybe his best overall season as a Celtic this year.

And now he has Several Teams interested in him. Who would've thought that about TA a year ago?

All I'm saying is this: I cannot give up on Allen Iverson. I've always been for the underdog, and always will be. He is not a perfect player by any stretch, but aren't the Boston Celtics known for taking in the unwanted and turning them into Champions?

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 12:24:24 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
And AI allegedly had a drinking problem as well. I think this was also part of the reason why he took off this year.

Look, I'm not making excuses for the man, but over the last few years the Boston Celtics have had a history of bringing in "Troubled" players and seeing them contribute in Big Ways. Let's see:

Stephon Marbury - helped us win a game in the playoffs 08-09. And overall seemed to fit in well with us, until he wanted a little more money than we had to offer, if I'm not mistaken. But while he was on the team, I don't recall him being a troublemaker.

Sheed - well he did himself proud at the end. Almost took us to the Promised Land, and carried us on his bad back in a few games during the Playoff Run.

Nate - didn't seem to be fitting in...was a potential troublemaker, but helped us in several games this playoff run. Maybe the best backup PG I've seen on this roster in the last few years. He played limited minutes behind Rajon, and I think made the most of them.

Tony Allen - some of us were about to give up on him, due to his at one time questionable character, but he turned it around.....matured and stayed healthy. I think TA had maybe his best overall season as a Celtic this year.

And now he has Several Teams interested in him. Who would've thought that about TA a year ago?

All I'm saying is this: I cannot give up on Allen Iverson. I've always been for the underdog, and always will be. He is not a perfect player by any stretch, but aren't the Boston Celtics known for taking in the unwanted and turning them into Champions?

Vin Baker would be the obvious exception here. I would also somewhat lump Sebastian Telfair in as a guy that had all the "talent" but was never in the right situation (so we thought he could succeed here)

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 12:31:48 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Vin Baker would be the obvious exception here. I would also somewhat lump Sebastian Telfair in as a guy that had all the "talent" but was never in the right situation (so we thought he could succeed here)

And neither of those two played for Doc, if I'm not mistaken?

All I'm saying is this: If this team is a legitimately contender, and we lose some players for whatever reason - why not AI or/and Shaq?

The more I think about this upcoming year, this may truely well be the very last time the team as we know it is together. May as well go out a winner, and take as many so-called has-beens, unwanteds with us, IMO.

Once the dust is settled - we could have Banner 18, AI's 1st ring, Shaq's 5th, and our starting 5's 2nd.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 01:04:39 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
If Iverson could buy into that “backup superstar” role he’d really flourish.

Doc has been trying to treat the backup unit as a bunch of ok offensive guys and a guy that he WANTS to look to shoot.

Cassell did it well.
Marbury over passed.
Nate has done it nice.

If the starting five can come in and play well, then hand the ball over to AI, that would be a 1,2 punch that very few teams can handle.

I don’t think he can handle it without saying “why is Pierce out there i can score better than him” “Rondo can’t even shoot, let me go out there” “we lost because i didn’t get enough shots.”

we don’t need that garbage

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I'm almost positive Telfair played his entire, and extremely memorable, celtics career under Doc Rivers. Vin Baker I remember as being coached by O'brien. I'm not saying I am against bringing in AI, McGrady or Shaq, I'm just saying we can't pretend the celtics have a magic touch and everything works out with troubled players