Author Topic: Allen Iverson  (Read 7664 times)

Re: Allen Iverson
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Iverson starting 2 guard?

as a life-long AI fan this would be a dream come true but let's not kid ourselves: 2 NBA 3pt contest titles > 3 scoring titles. Idoubt Allen could become as efficient of an offensive scorer as Ray. Let me ask you one question: who would you rather have shooting free throws at the end of a close game? Fortunately for us Allen could handle Marquis' role on tthis team as well as anyone else in the NBA, so long as Doc (or whomever) was willing to go Donald Trump on his a$$ if he started to become a distraction.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The most overrated player in basketball history...The biggest team and coach alienator in NBA history...and the most selfish player in NBA history...

Ah no.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Iverson is sooooooooooo done.

AI could well take the place of Toine for "bring him to the C's" threads
Yup

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »

Offline lovely_20

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
  • Jesus Saves
No thanks.
"Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?""

Jesus Shuttlesworth, "He Got Game"

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Almost ex player

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
You guys may be right. At the same time though I can see him respecting the guys in Boston. I don't think he'd have a problem coming off the bench for a championship caliber team. Memphis on the other hand, A puppy squad who sucks, with barely a hope for an 8th seed.... I can see a player of AI's caliber being insulted when asked to come off the bench for Mike CONLEY. He wouldn't have issues coming off the bench for Rondo. If he did Rondo would just have to flash the 08 ring in his face , he'll shut up.lol Wishful thinking. I'm just racking my brain still stunned by last nights loss. Our offense down the stretch wasn't good. Wish we had one more weapon to score & penetrate.

you might be correct and we may never know. but would you please provide something concrete that would indicated that iverson would be willing to change his career-long behavior of thinking of himself, his play, his stats first?

we went through a long and painful debate over iverson sometime ago here. the arguments lined up similarly - iverson will not play off the bench versus he will come off the bench and be happy.

i saw no evidence back then to show he would be a happy bencher. what has come out that is new and would show he could be trusted to come off the bench, play celtics defense, fit within the team offensive plays, and be happy doing so?

i would love to see it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd love to give Allen Iverson a shot....imagine that: Him and Shaquille O'Neal on this team, as backups.

We'd easily be the All-Something to Prove Team.

I like it.

If Allen Iverson came to a team like ours with a legitimate shot at a title next year, I could see him readily coming off the bench to make a run at a ring.

Of course, this would all be dependent on whether Sheed retires, Nate comes back, etc.

Imagine The Boston Celtics hoisting Banner 18 (VS LA, of Course ;D) with Allen Iverson getting his first ring, tears in his eyes...Shaq tying Kobe for most rings and saying something funny in response to Kobe's "I have one more than Shaq" statement.

My thing is this: If Ron Ron can do it (save the day for the Lakers on a Grand Scale, then why can't Allen Iverson do it for us next June?

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I'd love to give Allen Iverson a shot....imagine that: Him and Shaquille O'Neal on this team, as backups.

I like it.

If Allen Iverson came to a team like ours with a legitimate shot at a title next year, I could see him readily coming off the bench to make a run at a ring.

Of course, this would all be dependent on whether Sheed retires, Nate comes back, etc.

Imagine The Boston Celtics hoisting Banner 18 (VS LA, of Course ;D) with Allen Iverson getting his first ring, tears in his eyes...Shaq tying Kobe for most rings and saying something funny in response to Kobe's "I have one more than Shaq" statement.

My thing is this: If Ron Ron can do it (save the day for the Lakers on a Grand Scale, then why can't Allen Iverson do it for us next June?

unfortunately I have to agree with that statement. I would have bet the house on artest failing miserably on the lakers and I was looking forward to it, but we all saw what happened in the end.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Iverson quit on his team in Detroit.

Then he somehow found someone(Chris Wallace) gullible enough to believe him about just wanting to play for a winner and willing to come of the bench, etc., etc.

Then he quit on Memphis.

Realizing he now had no ego boost and that his posse wasn't gonna hang if he wasn't a playa, he begged his way back into the league. Made huge promises. Cried. And Philadelphia was stupid enough to give him a contract.

And then he quit on them.

So in less than a calendar year he quit on three separate NBA franchises and people actually want this loser on this Celtic team? Yeah, I think that might just be one of the stupidest things the Celtics could do.

What, Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge doesn't have enough stress trying to keep Baby, Tony, Rondo, Pierce, Perk, Rasheed and KG's personalities in line and functioning properly? Now you want to add AI's size of the moon ego and dysfunctional personality into the mix and kill Danny with a heart attack and have Doc running back to Orlando never to be seen ever again?

How about ...............NO!

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I like it.

Add TMac to the all something to prove team.  Maybe trade for Jason Kidd, R Wallace comes back and you have your complete all something to prove team as backups at each position. :P

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I like it.

Add TMac to the all something to prove team.  Maybe trade for Jason Kidd, R Wallace comes back and you have your complete all something to prove team as backups at each position. :P

Yep.

I figured it'd be ether the All-Something to Prove Team, or the All-Waiting to get injured Team, either one.

But I'm leaning on the former.

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Then he somehow found someone(Chris Wallace) gullible enough to believe him about just wanting to play for a winner and willing to come of the bench, etc., etc.

Then he quit on Memphis.

Realizing he now had no ego boost and that his posse wasn't gonna hang if he wasn't a playa, he begged his way back into the league. Made huge promises. Cried. And Philadelphia was stupid enough to give him a contract.

So in less than a calendar year he quit on three separate NBA franchises and people actually want this loser on this Celtic team? Yeah, I think that might just be one of the stupidest things the Celtics could do.

What, Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge doesn't have enough stress trying to keep Baby, Tony, Rondo, Pierce, Perk, Rasheed and KG's personalities in line and functioning properly? Now you want to add AI's size of the moon ego and dysfunctional personality into the mix and kill Danny with a heart attack and have Doc running back to Orlando never to be seen ever again?

Well, he's no more disfunctional than Ron Ron.

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Then he quit on Memphis.

And Nick - wasn't the real reason why Allen "Quit" this year was to take care of some serious personal problems? I cannot recall him quitting.

I think something serious was going on with his daughter? That'd be reason enough for me to take some time off.

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 11:54:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Then he quit on Memphis.

And Nick - wasn't the real reason why Allen "Quit" this year was to take care of some serious personal problems? I cannot recall him quitting.

I think something serious was going on with his daughter? That'd be reason enough for me to take some time off.
AI quit on Memphis because he didn't want to play behind Mike Conley.

Then he quit on Philly because of personal issues. There was word of a sick daughter but no real info came forward that I remember.

Still, I once had a child with cancer and had to work through it. Ray Allen's son was seriously ill two years ago and recently went through another tough bout, did he quit his job? people don't quit their jobs because their kids are ill.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Then he quit on Memphis.

AI quit on Memphis because he didn't want to play behind Mike Conley.

Then he quit on Philly because of personal issues. There was word of a sick daughter but no real info came forward that I remember.

Still, I once had a child with cancer and had to work through it. Ray Allen's son was seriously ill two years ago and recently went through another tough bout, did he quit his job? people don't quit their jobs because their kids are ill.
I was gonna write a reply, but this isn't even worth getting into a basketball debate over. I am very sorry to hear that you had a child with cancer in your life. I wish you and our child nothing but the best, and i offer my condolences for all suffering and pain you went through.