Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450007 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #1005 on: October 13, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
many of whom donated to this page,

I was wondering how long it would take before someone brought this up in a disagreement.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1006 on: October 13, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I was wondering how long it would take before someone brought this up in a disagreement.

I just don't really think its fair to hang that over the heads of how we moderate on here.  Our #1 goal should be able to keep it the type of community it has always been.  That community is governed by some posting rules & guidelines.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1007 on: October 13, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I can honestly say, I don’t think a single staff member has looked at the donation list when recommending discipline. Or, in this case posting a common sense warning.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1008 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I just don't really think its fair to hang that over the heads of how we moderate on here.  Our #1 goal should be able to keep it the type of community it has always been.  That community is governed by some posting rules & guidelines.

As someone who both donated and is banned from a certain forum, I can say I totally agree. Whatever donations were made, were made to keep the forum going. It doesn't buy any of us any new influence or power and has nothing to do with the conversation of rules, etc.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1009 on: October 14, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I can honestly say, I don’t think a single staff member has looked at the donation list when recommending discipline. Or, in this case posting a common sense warning.
to be honest, i am shocked that such a point is even being raised here. the list does not reveal who donated, first.

next, i cannot imagine our mods weighing decisions based upon some sort of list of donations.

this place is better than that.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1010 on: October 14, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

As someone who both donated and is banned from a certain forum, I can say I totally agree. Whatever donations were made, were made to keep the forum going. It doesn't buy any of us any new influence or power and has nothing to do with the conversation of rules, etc.
well stated and a tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1011 on: October 14, 2018, 06:06:26 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

to be honest, i am shocked that such a point is even being raised here. the list does not reveal who donated, first.

next, i cannot imagine our mods weighing decisions based upon some sort of list of donations.

this place is better than that.

Agree.

Regarding donations though, do we still get t-shirts if we go over $50? I was at $46 and I'd gladly throw in an extra tenner for my tee.  ;D ;)

LOL I was wondering tho if I flash my threoretical CelticsStrong t-shirt around if someone will recognize it and ask me my screenname etc. Could lead to some "interesting" discussions considering the occasionally inflammatory arguments we have on here  ;D jk. Mostly  ;)

All love, my peeps

« Reply #1012 on: October 16, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Can we get it back to 10 topics on the Latest Discussion panel? 5 seems really restrictive, especially using some of that space for Community and Fantasy posts that have narrower engagement. 

If there's a way to change it in my settings that'd be cool too - I just can't find one so far.

« Reply #1013 on: October 16, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Can we get it back to 10 topics on the Latest Discussion panel? 5 seems really restrictive, especially using some of that space for Community and Fantasy posts that have narrower engagement. 

If there's a way to change it in my settings that'd be cool too - I just can't find one so far.

It’s not a settings issue.

My guess is that byennie is maximizing space on the right for ads.

For whatever it’s worth, I agree. I’d like to see more of the recent topics, and the partial return of the menu that contained the member’s list, search bar, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1014 on: October 16, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

For whatever it’s worth, I agree. I’d like to see more of the recent topics, and the partial return of the menu that contained the member’s list, search bar, etc.

I third this, I was wondering why some really new topics were not appearing.

« Reply #1015 on: October 16, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

FWIW...4th

And for some reason this thread is now connected to the Kanye thread

« Reply #1016 on: October 16, 2018, 04:51:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The site has to have advertising revenue. I think everyone would like an exact replica of the last site but I can understand that sacrifices will need to be made so advertising can have it's space.

« Reply #1017 on: October 16, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

FWIW...4th

And for some reason this thread is now connected to the Kanye thread

One of your fellow members channeled Kanye and started ranting about the rules in another thread.  It got merged into this one, which is why some of the titles in this thread look odd.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:11:00 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #1018 on: October 16, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The site has to have advertising revenue. I think everyone would like an exact replica of the last site but I can understand that sacrifices will need to be made so advertising can have it's space.

For sure, I'm just suggesting cannibalizing the Community and Fantasy menus, I pretty much keep those minimized anyway. Or maybe just making Latest Discussions expandable or pageable.

« Reply #1019 on: October 16, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

For sure, I'm just suggesting cannibalizing the Community and Fantasy menus, I pretty much keep those minimized anyway. Or maybe just making Latest Discussions expandable or pageable.

We're definitely open to suggestions, and probably you will see things change periodically as we experiment. That said, it's very difficult to get ads to perform at all on a forum so while I try to keep them tasteful (e.g. NBA on a basketball forum) they probably will get prime real estate from time to time.

The community and fantasy panels, we're hoping to add more structure to those and make them more useful. More official fantasy leagues, community events, game threads always highlighted etc so that new people always see the key stuff.

That said, I could probably bump back up the number of latest posts as things develop. I appreciate the feedback.