Author Topic: Is a Horford trade possible?  (Read 4242 times)

Is a Horford trade possible?
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:34:17 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
If the Celtics get their man in Davis this offseason I truely believe that Davis makes Horford redundant. Horford has already admitted he hates playing centre, he isn't a high level rebounder or a super physical player and given we already have Hayward as a max guy and possibly soon to be max guys in Irving and Davis, so having Horford making max money doesn't make sense. IMO Baynes is the perfect guy next to Davis just like he was next to Duncan for the Spurs, so the question remains...can Horford be traded? To trade Al you would have to convince him to opt in to his player option knowing he would then be traded and given the cap room around the league he may make more on the open market but if there was a contender that couldn't get him in free agency a trade that would then shift assets to New Orleans in a Davis deal would make sense.

Re: Is a Horford trade possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:51:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The only way this happens is if the gets to contend with the next team . I don't think he does any favours to go play in MEM or PHO for example

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He won't agree to that, would you in his shoes?    He holds the cards in terms of opting in and out and will do what is best for him.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:25:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He won't agree to that, would you in his shoes?    He holds the cards in terms of opting in and out and will do what is best for him.

If you are asking me no i wouldn't .... I'd like him to do it though :D

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 07:38:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The "Horford doesn't like playing center" is incredibly overstated. He played center the entire time he was in Atlanta. He's played center most of this season. He played center just last night against Embiid and had his best game of the season. Horford doesn't mind playing center. One time he expressed a preference to PF and that resulted in years of "Horford hates playing center!" It's not actually true.

As for Davis, I think he and Horford would have no trouble co-existing. If Horford isn't needed to facilitate the trade for Davis, I assume he'd stay.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:47 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm wondering if Al opts out, and then resigns on a 4 year, $80M deal. Something like this makes sense for both sides.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm wondering if Al opts out, and then resigns on a 4 year, $80M deal. Something like this makes sense for both sides.

Yeah I hope he does that. I actually think Horford would do it if it also helped the team a bit too. He just doesn't strike me as someone who is purely hungry for $$$ (and he's already made like 200M+ in his career).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He would be much easier to use in terms of matching salaries with NO or a 3 team trade especially if Davis doesn’t waive his trade kicker.  If a 3rd team is involved the question becomes who is that team and Horford willing to opt in for?  Maybe a team like the Spurs or Trailblazers that need an extra push to be taken seriously as contenders, and also some assets and matching salaries they can flip to the Pelicans.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

I think signing him to a 4 year deal is too long...

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Having Horford and AD on the same team would be awesome; Al is like a point 4/5.  Love his game. Both guys can play inside and outside, and guard multiple positions.  With Kyrie, fully healthy Hayward, Smart as well, that would be a smoking team.

Jaylen and Tatum likely will have to be traded.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
To make the $$ work on an AD trade they'll almost certainly have to trade one of Horford, Smart, and Hayward.

I truly hope they can somehow finagle it so that they don't have to include one of those guys.

Smart and Horford are the heart and soul of the team and Hayward could be a perfect complement to Kyrie and AD.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Horford is staying! He's so underrated it's not even funny!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
To make the $$ work on an AD trade they'll almost certainly have to trade one of Horford, Smart, and Hayward.

I truly hope they can somehow finagle it so that they don't have to include one of those guys.

Smart and Horford are the heart and soul of the team and Hayward could be a perfect complement to Kyrie and AD.

Horford would play a redundant position with Anthony Davis. I think we know who the odd-man out is.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Horford would play a redundant position with Anthony Davis. I think we know who the odd-man out is.

I disagree with that.  AD doesn't like to play center, and one of his biggest weaknesses is that he hasn't demonstrated a great ability to create good shots for his teammates.

I think Horford and AD could work really well together.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not over Al's dead body .

He seems like a lifer in Boston . 

He is a good spokes person for the players and players that maybe intrested in Boston .   He has a trusting face ....un like LeBum

Al is type of player that would make an outsider feel comfortable,   i think i would work really hard to keep him as good karma .

AL is good for Boston .