Rozier and Williams for Bryant and Satoransky
1 (6.3%)
Keep Rozier, he is the new Irving
6 (37.5%)
Silky makes good cookies
8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 16, 2019, 02:57:27 PM

Author Topic: Rozier to Washington idea  (Read 5698 times)

Re: Rozier to Washington idea
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I really like the idea of Satoranski(sp?) on the Celtics but unfortunately I don’t think the wizards would be interested.  Scott’s Brooks loves Thomas and there are already people that think the team plays better when he runs the offense.

Also, the wiz are already in salary cap hell, they’re not gonna be able to give Terry the money he’s gonna want, so he’d essentially be s rental

Then again, Ernie Grunfield is stupid and he’s trying to save his job every year out there with dumb short sighted moves.
I think Thomas is under contract for at least 1 more year. Washington might be interested in taking on Rozier as what is effectively an expiring contract to free up salary/luxary tax next season, especially if the Celtics add some cash to the deal to help them with this year's luxary tax.

Him amd bryant are the best fit.

Satoransky can play amd defend pg off the bench with hayward.

I think nyk stikes out this offseason again and will look to get a marquee name amd will be a destination for a wall trade and rozier will become long term starter for washington.

Bryant is no slouch either.

Allowing horf to switch to pf will be huge moving.

Even though its my poll...rozier and williams for sato and bryant works all around

You lost me here. That's giving up the two most talented players, while Williams also has 3 years remaining on his rookie contract. Rozier isn't a good fit for the Celtics anymore, but he's a pretty good player. In hindsight we should have traded him last summer.

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
You guys have it all wrong; if we trade Rozier, it has to be for draft picks as assets to upgrade our Davis offer 7/1.

What draft picks are we going to get for him?  I doubt we're getting a first rounder.  How about trading him for a player under contract next year who can be used to contribute to matching salaries for Davis?  Ideally a guy who can even help us this year.

I think Phoenix is an ideal trading partner. Something like:

Phoenix: Rozier, Yabu

Boston: Troy Daniels, Milwaukee's 2019 1st round pick (protected 1-3 and 17-30 in 2019; 1-7 in 2020; and unprotected in 2021)

Daniels would be a good addition for us as a shooter off the bench this year, and the Milwaukee pick would be a good addition to the AD trade, especially with the Sacramento pick continuing to lose value as they win more.

Further, between the salary savings in this deal and finding a team to take and waive Bird, you come really close to being under the taxpayer threshold, though I don't think that this quite gets us there.

I don't think we're getting under the luxury tax this year.  I was thinking along the lines of acquiring a player who can help now and serve as salary filler when matching Davis' salary if we trade for him in the summer.

I'm thinking the same. We need salary to send out in an AD trade or we have to toss in Smart. Smart looks like he'll keep improving and I'd hate to lose him as a salary toss in because we can't match salaries.

I'm wondering how we can send out Tatum and keep Smart and Brown. It's going to be tough to match salaries.  Like you, I really want to hold onto Smart... even more than Brown.

It will be tough and I don't see how the Celts can pull it off. Looking at the salaries, the Celts will have to deal a package of Tatum, Smart, and either Yabusele OR Ojeleye and R Williams (depending on what the Pelicans want.) I'd also hate to lose Smart, but again if it means pairing A.Davs with Kyrie, you have to do it (draft picks will also have to be included.)

And maybe that's why Ainge is so hesitant to deal Rozier. Not because of Irving, but because he knows he'll have to include Smart's salary in an AD trade this summer.

The draft picks count towards salary and they can sign and trade Morris and Rozier, but that gets complicated.  Still, I think you may be right that they won't be able to do it.  Horford can opt out and Hayward likely won't be involved.  I'm wondering if they can move Rozier now to acquire someone who has another year left who can then be flipped in the Davis trade.  You can even include Morris with Rozier and get someone making $10 million or so.  I'd rather not trade Morris, but if Ainge and Demps have an understanding, I think you'd have to do it.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
You guys have it all wrong; if we trade Rozier, it has to be for draft picks as assets to upgrade our Davis offer 7/1.

I’m less concerned with actual assets for a Davis offer in exchange for Rozier. I think adding modest salary with an extra year is the only move I’d make for Rozier. We’re going to have a significant issue with salary matching for any Davis trade.

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I’m less concerned with actual assets for a Davis offer in exchange for Rozier. I think adding modest salary with an extra year is the only move I’d make for Rozier. We’re going to have a significant issue with salary matching for any Davis trade.

Matching salaries for AD will have to include Smart or Horford.

Celts must choose, Horford or Smart.
If both are not included in the package for AD, it will be hard to make salaries match.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

What draft picks are we going to get for him?  I doubt we're getting a first rounder.  How about trading him for a player under contract next year who can be used to contribute to matching salaries for Davis?  Ideally a guy who can even help us this year.

Boston: Troy Daniels, Milwaukee's 2019 1st round pick (protected 1-3 and 17-30 in 2019; 1-7 in 2020; and unprotected in 2021)

Daniels would be a good addition for us as a shooter off the bench this year, and the Milwaukee pick would be a good addition to the AD trade, especially with the Sacramento pick continuing to lose value as they win more.

Further, between the salary savings in this deal and finding a team to take and waive Bird, you come really close to being under the taxpayer threshold, though I don't think that this quite gets us there.

I don't think we're getting under the luxury tax this year.  I was thinking along the lines of acquiring a player who can help now and serve as salary filler when matching Davis' salary if we trade for him in the summer.

I'm thinking the same. We need salary to send out in an AD trade or we have to toss in Smart. Smart looks like he'll keep improving and I'd hate to lose him as a salary toss in because we can't match salaries.

I'm wondering how we can send out Tatum and keep Smart and Brown. It's going to be tough to match salaries.  Like you, I really want to hold onto Smart... even more than Brown.

It will be tough and I don't see how the Celts can pull it off. Looking at the salaries, the Celts will have to deal a package of Tatum, Smart, and either Yabusele OR Ojeleye and R Williams (depending on what the Pelicans want.) I'd also hate to lose Smart, but again if it means pairing A.Davs with Kyrie, you have to do it (draft picks will also have to be included.)

And maybe that's why Ainge is so hesitant to deal Rozier. Not because of Irving, but because he knows he'll have to include Smart's salary in an AD trade this summer.

The draft picks count towards salary and they can sign and trade Morris and Rozier, but that gets complicated.  Still, I think you may be right that they won't be able to do it.  Horford can opt out and Hayward likely won't be involved.  I'm wondering if they can move Rozier now to acquire someone who has another year left who can then be flipped in the Davis trade.  You can even include Morris with Rozier and get someone making $10 million or so.  I'd rather not trade Morris, but if Ainge and Demps have an understanding, I think you'd have to do it.

TP. That's the best plan at this moment. Orlando has the type of players that would fit the bill (Augustin, Ross or Vucevic).

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

TP. That's the best plan at this moment. Orlando has the type of players that would fit the bill (Augustin, Ross or Vucevic).

I think Vucevic is in the last year of his deal.

For an example, NO might like Isaac.  The Celtics can trade Rozier, Morris, Bird, and a first round pick for Isaac and Augustin now.  Augustin replaces Rozier.  Hayward replaces Morris in the starting rotation, and Isaac gets minutes off the bench.  We still contend this year.  Then we trade Tatum, Isaac, Augustin, Yabusele, and picks for Davis in July.  I think this is within the rules, but correct me if I'm wrong.

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

For an example, NO might like Isaac.  The Celtics can trade Rozier, Morris, Bird, and a first round pick for Isaac and Augustin now.  Augustin replaces Rozier.  Hayward replaces Morris in the starting rotation, and Isaac gets minutes off the bench.  We still contend this year.  Then we trade Tatum, Isaac, Augustin, Yabusele, and picks for Davis in July.  I think this is within the rules, but correct me if I'm wrong.

According to reports earlier in the season, Orlando thinks Bamba, Isaac, and Gordon are the future starters for the Magic.

I don't think the Magic will trade Jonathan Isaac.

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

If both are not included in the package for AD, it will be hard to make salaries match.
I think the Celtics will get rid of Bird and sign a buy out player to to a 2 year contract with the second year non guaranteed for additional salary filler for the off season.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 07:38:46 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I think the Celtics will get rid of Bird and sign a buy out player to to a 2 year contract with the second year non guaranteed for additional salary filler for the off season.

Celts have more than enough salary for an AD package.

That's why it was a surprise that the Celts picked up Yabusele's team option for next season.
Picking up Yabusele's team option meant the Celts would have additional salary filler for next season.

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Looks like Rozier is not going to be traded.

NBA Rumors: Celtics Unlikely To Trade Terry Rozier Before Deadline
https://nesn.com/2019/02/nba-rumors-why-celtics-unlikely-to-trade-terry-rozier-before-deadline/

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

According to reports earlier in the season, Orlando thinks Bamba, Isaac, and Gordon are the future starters for the Magic.

I don't think the Magic will trade Jonathan Isaac.

I was using it as an example.

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 08:08:25 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

That's a nice loophole. We probably need something like 7-10 million additional salary.
Which exception can we use and for how much is that?

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 08:17:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

That's a nice loophole. We probably need something like 7-10 million additional salary.

I’m not 100% sure but I think we still have our mid level exception to use.  I think when we re-signed Baynes I believe we did so with a 20% raise with bird rights therefore preserving that exception.

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 09:15:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rozier for Portis would work for me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Does anyone know this?