Author Topic: We need a GM that is hungry again  (Read 6704 times)

Re: We need a GM that is hungry again
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 09:49:21 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'm really starting to question how much pull Brad Stevens has in the roster construction.

The Danny Ainge we all remember was strictly about talent.  Barring being a convicted felon, Ainge...up until Brad Stevens got here...would bring anyone in as long as they could play, as long as they were the most talented.

Since Stevens has gotten here though, it's been a bunch of delightful guys that are easy to coach.  The only player with talent that could be classified as a malcontent that Stevens has coached so far in his NBA coaching career is Rondo...and Brad didn't exactly handle that situation with flying colors.

Brad Stevens has to understand that in the NBA, not every player with talent is going to have a squeaky clean resume.  Managing tough personalities is a part of the job for an NBA coach.  The sooner he accepts that and steps out of his comfort zone of only wanting Al Horford-types with no baggage, the better it will be for everyone.

I agree to an certain extent. But to be fair, Rondo wasn't exactly none too pleased with the drafting of a 'franchise' guard, and most likely felt his job was in jeopardy.

I wish Ainge went after Cousins. Even if I felt like he would've been a locker room menace, I would've loved to see how he could've been utilized to the best of his ability, and I felt like Cousins would've enjoyed the crowd of Boston.

I'm really starting to question how much pull Brad Stevens has in the roster construction.

The Danny Ainge we all remember was strictly about talent.  Barring being a convicted felon, Ainge...up until Brad Stevens got here...would bring anyone in as long as they could play, as long as they were the most talented.

Since Stevens has gotten here though, it's been a bunch of delightful guys that are easy to coach.  The only player with talent that could be classified as a malcontent that Stevens has coached so far in his NBA coaching career is Rondo...and Brad didn't exactly handle that situation with flying colors.

Brad Stevens has to understand that in the NBA, not every player with talent is going to have a squeaky clean resume.  Managing tough personalities is a part of the job for an NBA coach.  The sooner he accepts that and steps out of his comfort zone of only wanting Al Horford-types with no baggage, the better it will be for everyone.
Smart shoved a fan in college and has since hit Matt Bonner in the nuts and punched a hole in a locker room wall.
Isaiah Thomas had teammate issues in Phoenix(not his fault)
Evan Turner was a chemistry disaster in Indiana

Theres 3 guys that prior to their time in Boston had some question marks around them. Now they are beloved.

This is also what I was gonna post next. Need to stop slacking off at work.  :police:

But Turner and Thomas had concerns about whether or not they would've disrupted the winning 'culture,' built by Stevens and Ainge co.
Let's not also forget Marcus Thornton and a p!ssed off David Lee because he couldn't start. The narrative that the Celtics passed on Cousins because Stevens can't coach dufficult players is made up hogwash. The entire front office decided to pass on Cousins for a variety of reasons. They came to the same conclusions that the majority of teams across the league came to: that despite Cousins incredible INDIVIDUAL basketball talent, he is not a team player and a knuckleheaded cancer in the locker room. Stevens didn't nix a DMC deal...it was an entire front office decision.

Hardcore reaching right now...when were there EVER concerns about Evan Turner or IT coming to this team?  And sure D-Lee was mad he couldn't start, but he was a respectable veteran that kept his mouth shut about it and waited for his time to be traded.  And what about Marcus Thornton?

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
How spoiled you sound in your original post. We are in arguably one of the most, if not the most, enviable positions in the entire league. We're second in the league with a flurry of top picks coming in because of DA. You talk about Ainge not being hungry... but couldn't you argue that the other 25, 26 teams' GM that didn't want to trade for DMC also as being not hungry because they also did not want to trade for him? So what are you really posting about?

Just for a point of reference, look at the Lakers, whom started the rebuild the same way – how much better off than they are we? It's because DA and his brain trust.

God posts like this make me so infuriated and done with this fan base.

TP. While some of the silly fans are more outspoken than others regarding how terrible Danny is, I think most of the fan base appreciates Danny's amazing work here. He would last about 4 seconds in the job market.

Danny was hungry to win the first time around by acquiring KG and Ray Allen. He won a championship as a result.

He is even hungrier this time around. He wants to build a dynasty that can resemble the success that the team had in the 80s. He knows that young, talented, and cost-controlled players will fuel the ability to pay 3+ guys at the top of the market. Even more so, the timing is not good right now to go all in. Toronto is going to be desperate to keep it together a couple years from now while the Celtics are improving.

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

He doesn't have pull.  He has input, and I am sure he is free to give negative feedback.  It is up to Danny to decide whether that is meaningful or not.

Danny decides all roster moves.

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I agree to an certain extent. But to be fair, Rondo wasn't exactly none too pleased with the drafting of a 'franchise' guard, and most likely felt his job was in jeopardy.

I wish Ainge went after Cousins. Even if I felt like he would've been a locker room menace, I would've loved to see how he could've been utilized to the best of his ability, and I felt like Cousins would've enjoyed the crowd of Boston.

Smart shoved a fan in college and has since hit Matt Bonner in the nuts and punched a hole in a locker room wall.
Isaiah Thomas had teammate issues in Phoenix(not his fault)
Evan Turner was a chemistry disaster in Indiana

Theres 3 guys that prior to their time in Boston had some question marks around them. Now they are beloved.

This is also what I was gonna post next. Need to stop slacking off at work.  :police:

But Turner and Thomas had concerns about whether or not they would've disrupted the winning 'culture,' built by Stevens and Ainge co.
Let's not also forget Marcus Thornton and a p!ssed off David Lee because he couldn't start. The narrative that the Celtics passed on Cousins because Stevens can't coach dufficult players is made up hogwash. The entire front office decided to pass on Cousins for a variety of reasons. They came to the same conclusions that the majority of teams across the league came to: that despite Cousins incredible INDIVIDUAL basketball talent, he is not a team player and a knuckleheaded cancer in the locker room. Stevens didn't nix a DMC deal...it was an entire front office decision.

Hardcore reaching right now...when were there EVER concerns about Evan Turner or IT coming to this team?  And sure D-Lee was mad he couldn't start, but he was a respectable veteran that kept his mouth shut about it and waited for his time to be traded.  And what about Marcus Thornton?
Evan Turner and Isaiah Thomas were both at the center of toxic environments before coming here. Isaiah left the Kings and then was basically called a ball hog as the kings talked about the ball moving around better because some guys werent there anymore. He then went to Phoenix where he and Goran Dragic became such an issue the Suns were forced to trade both guys. Isaiah Thomas was traded on a huge discount.

Evan Turner got in a fight with Lance Stephenson the day before the playoffs started...

He was signed for basically free, in part due to the fact that he carried the risk of a guy who had gotten in a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing fist fight during the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing playoffs.

These guys werent as toxic as Cousins or Lance Stephenson, but they werent exactly safe bets. They were only safe bets because we got them basically for free.

Again, what big risks did Ainge take pre-Brad?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
saw the topic of the thread and figured it had to be one of three posters.  guessed right.

TP. Figured it was Clench, cltc5 or flybono. I guessed right

14 years in Boston only 1 championship. Your right, Ainge is on his way to Springfield....

Keep on drafting  Danny, u ain't made a bad pick yet!
Thanks for proving my point.
\

LOL  Just win Baby