Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20690 times)

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 03:06:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
But Russell averages TD.
I think that makes it OK.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .
it doesn't depend on anything

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?
yeah. Ron Artest was never going to go attack fans either

because Malace at the Palace never happened

Threats of violence are not protected under the first amendment (only exceptions are like in a rap song or some art form ). 

If I was the fan if file criminal assault charges against westbrook. In many states, the simple act of telling someone you will commit violence
um he never threatened to kill anyone.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's the actual video (NSFW):  https://streamable.com/99i4z

Westbrook's reaction might be completely warranted given what the fans said...  I just know that I liked his rant a lot more when I dubbed over it with Mike Tyson (NSFW):  https://youtu.be/Gsm77TZYZuk

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 07:38:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
surprized stuff like this doesn't happen more.   

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?

Threats aren’t protected speech.

Since we’re in the weeds with protected speech, is “Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing someone up” a clear threat, or would a lawyer be able to make a compelling argument that the phrase isn’t properly defined?

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm just so tired of Russ and his antics.  Someone needs to break his face and shut him the heck up.

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Threats aren’t protected speech.

Since we’re in the weeds with protected speech, is “****ing someone up” a clear threat, or would a lawyer be able to make a compelling argument that the phrase isn’t properly defined?

Lawyers can make a compelling argument for just about anything.  ;) However, on its face and in context it's a threat.  Even if the actions might generally only be considered disorderly conduct in some jurisdictions, its still not protected speech.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 09:11:22 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Would love some wanna be tough guy like Westbrook step to someone like that and have that person pull guard and throw a triangle choke on him.

Would be funny.

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Would love some wanna be tough guy like Westbrook step to someone like that and have that person pull guard and throw a triangle choke on him.

Would be funny.

Sounds like somebody still lives in their parent's basement and watches too many kung-fu movies.

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Obviously, Westbrook shouldn't have been engaging the fan in the first place.  And the threats will certainly get him fined/suspended.

I can't imagine the fan is some poor innocent person in this either, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I've sort of been thinking about how restrictive we are of violence today, while being extremely tolerant of speech.

I think maybe there's a natural balance to speech and physical consequences that we have stifled in the name of peace and order. We certainly don't want mass violence or anarchy. We want people who live in peace to be safe and those who are justifiably innocent to feel secure. We don't want to condone unfair fights, or extreme physical punishments, or permanent results due to temporary intoxication or instability.

But physical consequences can sometimes humble in a way that words never can. A quarrel is sometimes resolved when the participants invest more fully into it. Things can become clearer when more than words are on the line.

I wonder if we should find a way to incorporate a little more of a certain type of physical confrontation in our society in a way that is acceptable and beneficial to the growth and natural regulation of individuals, leading to a qualitative improvement of society as a whole.

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Here's an idea.

Maybe fans just shouldn't interact with players if they don't have anything nice to say.

Imagine that....common courtesy and keeping your mouth closed if you don't have anything nice to say.

Who would've thought? :angel:

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.

Woah, that's extreme. There's no defence for saying something like that.

A very strong reaction from Westbrook that he should be held accountable for, however that is immense goading and if true the fan should clearly receive a lifetime ban from attending NBA games

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 10:50:38 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
No1 knows what was actually said to provoke but what was caught on camera from Westbrook is definitely not okay especially when you look at his history engaging with fans. And hes just not a likeable person to begin with. If the fan really did say something racist then that's one thing but both westbrook's and the fans account of what was said, to me, isn't racist.

The nba just needs to back the fans up a couple rows in my opinion. I've never liked the idea of courtside seats or the stupid camera men under the basket, it makes the court feel too crowded and prone for injuries. I'm sure sitting 8 feet away instead of 3 feet is just as exciting
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 10:57:25 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.
he could have simply reported it to the security and moved on. Now we have westbrook on video threatening to kill people. Good job! Way to make the city of Oklahoma city proud!
I think Westbrook should be fined. Not a good reaction, regardless of the nature of the heckling.

I also think that if he's telling the truth, and I'm going to assume he is, then those fans should have been thrown out and are a bigger embarrassment than him.
what the fan said didn't sound racial at all

Just another race card incident.

So that I'm clear on this, you're responding to the suggestion that the fan said "Get on his knees like he used to". He's saying this to a black man in a country that used to have millions of black slaves literally on their knees. So I read that as a clear statement that he should go back to being a slave.

Am I missing something?