Author Topic: Glee (TV)  (Read 8913 times)

Glee (TV)
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Well, since Spring most critics have tried to shove this show down our throats, and for the most part it has been highly critically acclaimed.

I watched the first episode, and didn't like it much. I thought the acting was quite poor, very cheesy, etc. What I did enjoy was the performance of the cover for Journey - Don't Stop Believing.

Here's the first episode, extended director's cut version:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/93370/glee-pilot---directors-cut

Here's a trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx9tX1RTNiM

Second episode airs tonight on FOX. In all it seems like a feel good type of story, and I can see why many would be appealed by it, but at the moment I don't see it for me.

From Ryan Murphy, the creator of "Nip/Tuck," comes GLEE, a new comedy for the aspiring underdog in all of us.

The series follows an optimistic teacher, WILL SCHUESTER (Matthew Morrison), who - against all odds and a malicious cheerleading coach - attempts to save McKinley High's Glee Club from obscurity, while helping a group of aspiring underdogs realize their true star potential. It's a tall order when the brightest stars of the group include KURT (Chris Colfer), a soprano who hits a high note in fashion; MERCEDES (Amber Riley), a larger-than-life diva with a voice to match; ARTIE (Kevin McHale), a geeky guitarist who rocks and rolls; and TINA (Jenna Ushkowitz), a punk rocker who hides behind her stutter and blue hair extensions.

Will's only hope lies with two true talents: RACHEL BERRY (Lea Michele), a self-proclaimed star who is convinced that MySpace and show choir and are her tickets to fame; and FINN HUDSON (Cory Monteith), the popular high school quarterback with movie star looks who must protect his reputation from his holier-than-thou girlfriend and "Cheerios" head cheerleader, QUINN (Dianna Agron), and his arrogant football teammate, PUCK (Mark Salling).

He's out to prove them all wrong.  Will is determined to do whatever it takes to make Glee great again, but his only ally is fellow teacher and germaphobe EMMA PILLSBURY (Jayma Mays). Everyone else around him thinks he's nuts - from his tough-as-nails wife TERRI SCHUESTER (Jessalyn Gilsig) to McKinley's scheming cheerleading coach SUE SYLVESTER (Jane Lynch) - but he's out to prove them wrong.

Featuring a soundtrack of hit songs from past and present, GLEE is produced by Ryan Murphy Television in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan are co-creators of the series. Murphy, Falchuk and Dante Di Loreto serve as executive producers, while Ian Brennan serves as co-executive producer. Murphy directed the pilot.

http://www.fox.com/glee/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:22:23 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

Re: Glee (TV)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
The title of the show is more than enough to make me not watch it.  Just saying.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
The title of the show is more than enough to make me not watch it.  Just saying.

I wouldn't blame you. Only thing that made me try it was the critical acclaim I was seeing at the time. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I caught the "twittered" replay.  It wasn't bad, but the nonstop twitter updates just killed it for me.  Factor in that I skipped through all the singing parts, and I doubt I'll be dvr'ing it again.  Although Jane Lynch was pretty funny.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Watched part of it last night.  Not horrible, somewhat entertaining.  I was flipping between the sox and Glee and I came to one conclusion. I prefer Glee over watching Manny Delcarmen, but not over watching Wagner
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I caught the "twittered" replay.  It wasn't bad, but the nonstop twitter updates just killed it for me.  Factor in that I skipped through all the singing parts, and I doubt I'll be dvr'ing it again.  Although Jane Lynch was pretty funny.

I've yet to see anyone saying something positive about these twittered replays. Interesting that you skipped through all the singing parts, for the most part that's what I enjoyed the most, if anything. I liked Jane Lynch too though.

Watched part of it last night.  Not horrible, somewhat entertaining.  I was flipping between the sox and Glee and I came to one conclusion. I prefer Glee over watching Manny Delcarmen, but not over watching Wagner

The "somewhat entertaining" portion is what might make me give this a second try. It seems like it could be just that, something different from what is usually on tv and fun. I just have to see if I can tolerate the two main singers from the glee club. They make me cringe everytime they talk.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Buweiserceltic:  Is it just me or all the voices horribly dubbed.  It seems very clear they arent actually singing, but did they have to make it look so obvious?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Buweiserceltic:  Is it just me or all the voices horribly dubbed.  It seems very clear they arent actually singing, but did they have to make it look so obvious?
I've only seen the first episode, and I remember this being one of my main complaints back when I watched it (there was an episode long preview back in May). I don't know if it has improved from there, considering that the preview pilot episode might've not been a finished product. But, seeing your comment, it seems that they haven't.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Ya, I was a dual major in college with one of those being in audio production, and i will tell you, I have done better dubbing for school projects

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Ya, I was a dual major in college with one of those being in audio production, and i will tell you, I have done better dubbing for school projects

Heh, then that most be painful for you to watch. When you're an "expert" in a field, you kinda zone-in on this things. Which is often why I don't like discussing novels in forums where the community is full of lit. majors and writers. They opt to discuss the technicalities of the written words instead of plot, and things of that nature.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Just watched the second episode, and man the dubbing was more awful than what I had remembered. I don't know if I can tolerate it, since the show doesn't have much more elements that are appealing to me.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Told you man!

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does anybody on CB watch this?  My fiancee' is a big fan, so I got roped into watching it.  Now, sad to say, I'm addicted.  Last week's season premiere was spot on, and I actually finding myself pumped for the Britney episode that is on tonight.

I know, not the most masculine of TV shows, but the humor from the "Sue" character cracks me up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I'm watching. Love the comedy partes, but skipping most of the musical bits. Jane Lynch is awesome as always.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Does anybody on CB watch this?  My fiancee' is a big fan, so I got roped into watching it.  Now, sad to say, I'm addicted.  Last week's season premiere was spot on, and I actually finding myself pumped for the Britney episode that is on tonight.

I know, not the most masculine of TV shows, but the humor from the "Sue" character cracks me up.

Sue is hilarious.

I'm on the same boat as you, my wife got me into it and I watch it with her every week now.