Author Topic: Off Topic: The Wire  (Read 16226 times)

Off Topic: The Wire
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
i know i am way late in the game but are any of you celts fans into The Wire...i watched the first 2 seasons in a week... and i think it is one of the best written and acted show that i have ever come across...interested in the rest of celts blogs thoughts
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

Re: Off Topic: The Wire
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:21:19 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
i know i am way late in the game but are any of you celts fans into The Wire...i watched the first 2 seasons in a week... and i think it is one of the best written and acted show that i have ever come across...interested in the rest of celts blogs thoughts

I've got all (5) seasons for sale if your interested! Message me if so. Great Series! Best ever on HBO
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

I've got all (5) seasons for sale if your interested! Message me if so. Great Series! Best ever on HBO

my best friend got it for xmas...thats why ive been watchin...appreciate the offer..and i agree completely. tp...

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:59:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It is the best television drama of all time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:54:34 PM »

Offline Teally

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
         i got sucked into the wire this past winter, and i'll be suprised (pleasantly) if i ever see anything like it again.  the show was a really, really, really well done social statement.  and incredibly sad.  not sure i've ever seen a show that doesn't seem to care about resolving conflicts or wrapping up loose ends in order to please the viewer as much as the wire.  gutsy show.  one of the best, honest, smartest and most unique shows i've ever seen. 

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
one of the best compliments that i heard about the wire,,,wish has surpassed every show i have ever seen as my favorite by far, is that...in the future it will be held as the televison version of what Dickens or Shakespeare could offer in the 21st century

and i know they devoted a whole episode to the Dickensian aspects of the show,,,but it truly is a classic piece of literature, in the mold of Dickens

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:16:48 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
4th season was the best.

Amazing series.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:33:43 AM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
one of the best compliments that i heard about the wire,,,wish has surpassed every show i have ever seen as my favorite by far, is that...in the future it will be held as the televison version of what Dickens or Shakespeare could offer in the 21st century

and i know they devoted a whole episode to the Dickensian aspects of the show,,,but it truly is a classic piece of literature, in the mold of Dickens

the "dickensian" element is addressed in a very funny way.  The Baltimore Sun thing is excellent. Fantastic show all around, its unreal to me that it didn't win more awards, that emmys shut it down every year.  Just goes to show you how ridiculous television awards are I guess.  Anyways, Simon has a new project coming out, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/, the Bunk and Lester Friedman are signed on for it and its about New Orleans and jazz.  HBO again, I would imagine it to be excellent. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:01:52 AM by POBstuntin »

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

the "dickensian" element is addressed in a very funny way.  The Baltimore Sun thing is excellent. Fantastic show all around, its unreal to me that it didn't win more awards, that emmys shut it down every year.  Just goes to show you how ridiculous television awards are I guess.  Anyways, Simon has a new project coming out, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/, the Bunk and Lester Friedman are signed on for it and its about New Orleans and jazz.  HBO again, I would imagine it to be excellent. 

The way I heard it phrased by David Simon is that each season should be able to stand alone as an individual novel, each covering a different aspect of life in Baltimore.

My favorite seasons, from favorite to least favorite:

This past season....meh. It was good, but not on par with seasons 1 and 4,

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

The way I heard it phrased by David Simon is that each season should be able to stand alone as an individual novel, each covering a different aspect of life in Baltimore.

Ya, i remember hearing that quote and i am pretty close to agreement with you on the seasons

I'd go 1 & 4 (cant really pick which one i like better), then 3 (the avon-stringer storyline was amazing), 2, 5. 

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Anyways, Simon has a new project coming out, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/, the Bunk and Lester Friedman are signed on for it and its about New Orleans and jazz.  HBO again, I would imagine it to be excellent. 

I didnt know that....thats awesome.  Something to look forward to. TP for the heads up

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Ya, i remember hearing that quote and i am pretty close to agreement with you on the seasons

I'd go 1 & 4 (cant really pick which one i like better), then 3 (the avon-stringer storyline was amazing), 2, 5. 

I wanted to switch 2 and 3...but I really loved season two's characters. Except Ziggy. Ziggy had to go and screw everything up.

But the Greek...Vondopolis (sp?), Sergi....then Nicky and Frank, and Beadie...

But then I really like anything having to really do with Avon's crew. Wee-Bey, Stringer, D in the first season..Bird in the first season...who's the other guy, played by sticky fingaz...I dunno but both stories are good, but the second season is the high quality all but forgotten when people talk about the wire. The story of the docks was very poignant to me.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:27:06 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Best show hands down. I can't watch these prime time CSI shows after watching the Wire. All the seasons are good, def watch season 1. All the shows are like one big puzzle that finally comes together the more you watch it.

The last season was ahead of its time. Talking about the news and how the paper was dieing and now we see the papers, Boston Globe, are pretty close to folding. Not to mention all the corruption in the State. It's a fictional show but has so much reality.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
I love Seasone 3 b/c it brought Slim Charles into my life.

Also, the way they developed season 4 to show how people like the D'angelo's, Bodie's, Avon's, Stringer's, even Omar's and Bubbles come to be through adolescence was amazing. 

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Mickael Pietrus looks exactly like a skinnier Avon Barksdale...and just hit some clutch free throws