Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics refused to make Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans  (Read 21071 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2967
Here's what the Lakers gave up:
No. 4 pick in 2019
Top-8 protected in 2021, becomes unprotected in ‘22
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25
Ingram, Ball, Hart.

Looks like an overpay to me - and it is better than Celtics package.

http://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1140089143982268417

Wow, and it actually sounds like there’s more coming with a couple of “deferments” on picks that NOLA got, too! To get deferment rights on top of this would just be another cherry on top of this.

Yeah, there’s just no way that Danny could justify giving up these kinds of assets and significantly mortgaging our future with the kind of uncertainty at play here. I feel so much better now lol

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I'm just happy we can all move past this Anthony Davis saga. I feel like the allure/chance to acquire Davis, has held the Celtics back for at least two years now.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
People are too hung up on height. The league is continually moving away from traditional bigs. The Cavs won a title with 6'7 Kevin Love at PF, and sometimes they went with him and lbj as their bigs. GSW won 3 with Draymond Green at PF, and he wasn't even 6'6 without shoes, and they just played the finals with a 6'9 center. Siakam is hardly the most imposing PF, barely bigger than GH, and their true center was an ineffective vet they picked up at the trade deadline.

What we need are good players who fit what Brad and Danny want to do. For now, we have Baynes for those nights we face good big men, but the fact is, there aren't many big men on a night in night out basis who can give you trouble. Lack of height and bigs didn't doom us this year: dysfunction did.

We went to the EC Finals in 2017 & 2018 with less talent than we'll have on the floor next year.  No, we probably can't win a title in '20, but IMO, we're one move away from becoming a contender in '21 if Tatum is the player I believe he is.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Horford-Bigman

Pretty slow lineup though

The solution is to play Tatum at PF.

That way Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will be able to start.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

The solution is playing Tatum at power forward???

If that's the solution, then we are in trouble. One of Tatum or Hayward would have to be moved. I'd like to see us improve somehow, someway. At least lie to me and tell me we are going to be good next year.

We were in trouble the moment Kyrie changed his mind about re-signing with the Celts.

Right now we have to accept the fact that the Celts will be rebuilding again.
I wonder if we try to move Hayward now? Maybe try to take back bad salary, even if its more than one year and receive future pick(s) in return. Next years free agency crop is terrible.

Celts can live with Hayward for one more season.

Let Hayward prove that he can return to All-Star form.

If Hayward plays well next season, he could be very valuable at the trade deadline in Feb.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
People are too hung up on height. The league is continually moving away from traditional bigs. The Cavs won a title with 6'7 Kevin Love at PF, and sometimes they went with him and lbj as their bigs. GSW won 3 with Draymond Green at PF, and he wasn't even 6'6 without shoes, and they just played the finals with a 6'9 center. Siakam is hardly the most imposing PF, barely bigger than GH, and their true center was an ineffective vet they picked up at the trade deadline.

What we need are good players who fit what Brad and Danny want to do. For now, we have Baynes for those nights we face good big men, but the fact is, there aren't many big men on a night in night out basis who can give you trouble. Lack of height and bigs didn't doom us this year: dysfunction did.

We went to the EC Finals in 2017 & 2018 with less talent than we'll have on the floor next year.  No, we probably can't win a title in '20, but IMO, we're one move away from becoming a contender in '21 if Tatum is the player I believe he is.

The east of 2017 and 2018 was very weak.

Right now the east has gotten better.

Lebron and the Cavs couldn't even win one game against GSW in the 2018 Finals.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 543
No. 4 pick in 2019
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25
Ingram, Ball, Hart.

http://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1140089143982268417

Wow, and it actually sounds like there’s more coming with a couple of “deferments” on picks that NOLA got, too! To get deferment rights on top of this would just be another cherry on top of this.

Yeah, there’s just no way that Danny could justify giving up these kinds of assets and significantly mortgaging our future with the kind of uncertainty at play here. I feel so much better now lol
The Lakers better hope LeBron stays healthy enough to get 3 or 4 more good seasons because otherwise this trade could wreck the franchise long term.  Davis actually could go elsewhere in a year if things don't work out as expected this coming season. 

That would be great to see...lol

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Kevin Love is 6'9 barefoot, and 6'10 in shoes. Siakam is also around that height, maybe an inch taller with a plus wingspan. And if you're saying that we can get by with a bunch of 6'7 dudes you probably haven't watched the Bucks steamroll us with three 7 footers against Smallballsbrad this playoffs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
No. 4 pick in 2019
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25
Ingram, Ball, Hart.

What was the Celtics package?

I think a lot of people are over valuing that Lakers package. Ingram was oozing with potential coming into the draft, but has been serviceable at best. Ball has been disappointing too. They traded the 4th pick in a 3 player draft. I feel like the term unprotected pick is throwing some people off. Yes, LeBron won't be playing by then but Davis will still probably be there. They have enough cap space to sign another max player this off season. And will replace LeBron with another max player to pair with Davis & Co when LeBron retires. Those picks will be garbage.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Kevin Love is 6'10, but hey...minor details. And by the way, what we need is size to protect the paint, rebound, defend, etc.

I have no clue what Brad and Danny want to do (and I'm not sure they do either) but without a good front court, the Celts will never sniff another title.

Now, pee wee basketball might be a different story

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Is it always just a coincidence that the team that gets forced out of a contract with a big star gets the #1 pick.

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

If that's the solution, then we are in trouble. One of Tatum or Hayward would have to be moved. I'd like to see us improve somehow, someway. At least lie to me and tell me we are going to be good next year.

Our original starting 5 post Hayward/irving acquisitions was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

You realize Tatum is only 6'8, right?

Just telling you what that starting lineup was.

Got it.

Don't forget though, the starting lineup on opening night in 2017 was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Baynes.

Hayward going down led to Tatum replacing him.

2017 opening night lineup was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Night 1, Cavs, for 5 minutes until Hayward injury. That was the starting lineup. Tatum at the 4.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Our original starting 5 post Hayward/irving acquisitions was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

You realize Tatum is only 6'8, right?

Just telling you what that starting lineup was.

Got it.

Don't forget though, the starting lineup on opening night in 2017 was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Baynes.

Hayward going down led to Tatum replacing him.

2017 opening night lineup was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Night 1, Cavs, for 5 minutes until Hayward injury. That was the starting lineup. Tatum at the 4.

Yes..you're right!!

My apologies. Wow, I can't believe they had Tatum playing at power forward. That's insane. And then Baynes came in off the bench and immediately got into it with Crowder.

My bad.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Kevin Love is 6'9 barefoot, and 6'10 in shoes. Siakam is also around that height, maybe an inch taller with a plus wingspan. And if you're saying that we can get by with a bunch of 6'7 dudes you probably haven't watched the Bucks steamroll us with three 7 footers against Smallballsbrad this playoffs.
lol no Love isn't. You just made that up.  https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34789/kevin-love-and-height-liars-in-shoes

The Bucks had some big men, but anyone can throw journeymen like Ilyasova and Mirotic out there, just like we could play Baynes more. Kyrie Irving was a better rebounder than Lopez this season.

We beat this almost same Bucks team in the playoffs last year. The difference wasn't height, other than Freak's height gives him an edge over everyone. The difference is we were a dumpster fire, and they have some good role players, supporting one of the 2 or 3 best players on the planet.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We routinely got abused by bigger teams.   The bucks murdered us with size.     I also think your heights are way off because you're not basing them on facts but rather your observations, which I question somewhat do the fact, that you think height is useless in basketball.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Nice to hear some sanity brought to an outrageous take.