Author Topic: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.  (Read 7071 times)

Re: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
tough crowd here, it doesnt help though when the two players you compare him to are one that could not shoot or play defense and the other ate himself out of the league.
as for the offense, i think getting hayward back, tatum with more experience, and a good draft pick will change a lot.

33-10 without hayward, and that is not good enough. tough crowd indeed.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
... and yet he makes the team better when he plays, period.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Mahcus Smaht........WINNAH!!!!

Hope he stays!

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
tough crowd here, it doesnt help though when the two players you compare him to are one that could not shoot or play defense and the other ate himself out of the league.
as for the offense, i think getting hayward back, tatum with more experience, and a good draft pick will change a lot.

33-10 without hayward, and that is not good enough. tough crowd indeed.
Most peculiar momma

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The bottom line is we are 6-2 against the rest of the top-7 teams in basketball. Smart may take some ill-advised shots, but he’s also willing to hoist up last second prayers. I appreciate a guy who really doesn’t care what his FG% is. He’s capable of hitting any shot. He doesn’t take contested shots. He’s a little too erratic at times, but overall I don’t believe he forces too much.

We are also 3-0 against Brooklyn. We didn’t have a Horford last night and the Nets were 10-0 when holding opponents below 100 this year, so our defense was as spectacular as our offense was terrible.

The Celtics may not be the favorites but I wouldn’t count them out against any team. Whenever we get Hayward back, the offense will be significantly better.

I don’t hate the Rozier/Smart backup backcourt. If you can stagger rotations to get Hayward or Horford in with them, they can effectively run the offense.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 10:30:53 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
LOL at this thread. You want some clicks

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 12:59:03 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
He's a lousy shooter, but a quality defender.  He'll most likely be gone after the season's over.  It won't be because he failed.  It'll be because he gets a bigger contract offer from another team.  He'll be missed on the court.

He'll serve as one more reminder, out of oh so many, of why having a punitive salary cap, instead of just a salary floor, sucks.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 01:29:47 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
As much as Smart likes to irritate me from time to time, Brad Stevens does the assessing and teaching and Danny Ainge does the execution.

Lol at post.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 03:20:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
While stats can certainly be very unfavorable to Marcus, I'd like to know who is a better defender than him on our team before he goes. We are planning a deep playoff run this year.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Not really, Ogaju. Not only were his comparisons laughable, the only metric he provided to back up his rant was wrong because he doesn't know how to sort a table. If someone is going to throw a player under the bus on a 33-10 team, they might want to back it up with some facts.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't know how to say this any other way - Smart has blown it. If we resign him, we're going to hamper our offense to the point where I doubt we win a championship while he players more than 15 minutes a game. If we don't, I'd actually be willing to bet he's out of the league in a couple of years because he's just not an NBA-level talent on offense. At this point I wouldn't want him for any amount of money.

I 'll take this bet.   The few years, I will give you three years.   So if he is the league in three years would be the bet.  Now what to make the stake.   Do you want to put your money where your mouth is, because I think three years from now barring death, legal issues or injuries he will be in the league.  By money, I am speaking figuratively, of course because I am sure we have rules against betting cash.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 08:48:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The OP has some points. Offensively, Marcus hasn’t really improved. He “is what he is” at this point in all likelihood.  He should be paid with that in mind, rather than on potential.

But, if we can fit him in our budget, he’s an important player.  He’s like a smaller, less efficient version of Andre Iguodala (since he joined the Warriors, anyway). He plays great defense, moves the ball, and is a guy you want in there in the fourth quarter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Guess people forgetting last year ECF game 3 quickly 8)

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The OP has some points. Offensively, Marcus hasn’t really improved. He “is what he is” at this point in all likelihood.  He should be paid with that in mind, rather than on potential.

But, if we can fit him in our budget, he’s an important player.  He’s like a smaller, less efficient version of Andre Iguodala (since he joined the Warriors, anyway). He plays great defense, moves the ball, and is a guy you want in there in the fourth quarter.

and less explosive also

8-9 million per season is what i would give Smart.  If he rejects then I would let him walk

He prob got this type of offer from Danny a few months ago.....

He won't be back next season imo

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Iguodala is a far better player than Smart and Smart will not be on the floor next year at the end of games unless he's taking Brown's spot. While he moves the ball, he also has the second worst turnover rate on the team to Theis who is well known for having turnover issues.

Smart has the lowest total shooting percentage of anyone in the NBA who has played as many minutes, shoots worse in wins than losses, and shoots worse in the 4th quarter compared to the rest of the game. He also has the worst assist/turnover ratio of the three primary ball-handling guards. His fans really underplay just how bad his shooting woes have been. They also overstate his +/- numbers consistently. He is playing a lot with the starters and there is a clear divide between that group and the rest of the team. He plays a lot with the starters because Morris cannot stay on the court and Smart has more positional versatility than Rozier in a defense that switches constantly.

Smart is a very good defender, but we have many very good defenders this year though none have the grit he does. Right now, Rozier has passed him overall as a player and even has a better defensive rating although that is a suspect stat. With Hayward coming back, I do not see how we keep Smart assuming the player FA market is not frozen because of severe league-wide cap constraints.

That being said, I do not agree with the OP either. Smart has improved recently and has half a season and the playoffs to go. He is among the top 10 bench players, as is Rozier, for minutes played and I am sure the audition is not over. Anything is possible, especially if the price is right.