Author Topic: If the Celts are going to make a blockbuster...  (Read 37908 times)

Re: If the Celts are going to make a blockbuster...
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2019, 10:01:44 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Actually Kanter can rebound and he's very good at it.

The problem with Kanter is you sacrifice defense when Kanter's in the game.

If Kanter is forced to switch, he ends up letting the opposing guard score in the paint because he doesn't have a clue how to defend pick and rolls and switches.

« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2019, 10:06:11 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Sure was hoping Kanter was going to be the rebounder.  Apparently not.  They need a guy.  Once the big 5 is together I really think all scoring is taken care of.  I really think those 5 can average 85-90 points.  After that little scoring is needed as they will play at least 2 of those 5 all game.  POst D and rebounding is the biggest weakness.

Kanter has been excellent rebounding. He just doesn't get many minutes because he's so bad defensively.

Adding another big at almost any cost as some want to do might seem ideal in some regards, but not if it costs one of our key players. We are one of if not the only team in the league that can get a mismatch almost constantly. We would lose a lot of that by trading, say, Hayward. And just like that what makes this team unique and difficult to defend would be gone.

« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Sure was hoping Kanter was going to be the rebounder.  Apparently not.  They need a guy.  Once the big 5 is together I really think all scoring is taken care of.  I really think those 5 can average 85-90 points.  After that little scoring is needed as they will play at least 2 of those 5 all game.  POst D and rebounding is the biggest weakness.

Kanter has been excellent rebounding. He just doesn't get many minutes because he's so bad defensively.

Adding another big at almost any cost as some want to do might seem ideal in some regards, but not if it costs one of our key players. We are one of if not the only team in the league that can get a mismatch almost constantly. We would lose a lot of that by trading, say, Hayward. And just like that what makes this team unique and difficult to defend would be gone.

Agree.

Hayward will not be going anywhere any time soon.

A small move like getting a guy like Poeltl is the best solution.

« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
OH I understand about kanter.  Rebounding and Offense, but no D.  We need a D and rebounding and little O.  We can't touch the core 5, and probably not RW3 or wannamaker either.  Pretty much anyone else and picks are fair game, ok maybe not theis unless a clear upgrade.

« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2019, 10:16:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Agree.

You have been incessant in your view that the Celtics go nowhere in the post season if they don't get a big to deal with Giannis, the Lopez brothers, Embiid, Anthony Davis and other bigs and you think the best solution is getting Jakob Poeltl?

Jakob Poeltl? A guy who is about a 6 point, 6 rebound bench player that can't get more than 18 MPG on a bad San Antonio club? He is your best solution for slowing down Giannis, Embiid and other dominant bigs and keeping them off the offensive boards?

Okay ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Agree.

You have been incessant in your view that the Celtics go nowhere in the post season if they don't get a big to deal with Giannis, the Lopez brothers, Embiid, Anthony Davis and other bigs and you think the best solution is getting Jakob Poeltl?

Jakob Poeltl? A guy who is about a 6 point, 6 rebound bench player that can't get more than 18 MPG on a bad San Antonio club? He is your best solution for slowing down Giannis, Embiid and other dominant bigs and keeping them off the offensive boards?

That's if the Celts just want a slight upgrade.
Going from Poirier to Poeltl is an upgrade.

If the Celts want a bigger move, Tristan Thompson is someone the Celts can afford.
But it would cost the Celts some of the young players, like maybe Grant Williams or Carsen.

The ceiling is around 18-19m of salary the Celts can afford without giving up Tatum, Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Smart.

I watched the Raptors vs. Bucks series last season.
Giannis couldn't get as many dunks like what he got against Horford and the Celts, in the 2nd round.
Marc Gasol is hard to dunk against.
Gasol didn't even have to jump, he just raised his arms.

There will be teams that the Celts can get away with playing small ball.
But not against the Bucks.

Also, what if the Celts face the Lakers in the Finals, who defends Anthony Davis in the series?

Marcus Smart?

I think the Celts need to do something on or before the trade deadline.
Not doing anything to improve this team heading into the playoffs will be a mistake.

« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2019, 11:55:23 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Agree.

If I remember right, Williams outplayed Poetl last time they met.

« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2019, 12:18:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Agree.

Or Tristan Thompson! Who we'd have to trade basically our entire big-man rotation for... ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2019, 03:31:04 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Agree.

Here's the games before the trade deadline when we play the teams with the aforementioned bigs that our lineup of midgets can't deal with (I threw Detroit and Drummond/Griffin in there for giggles). So far we've only played Philly (away) with Kemba shooting poorly and Milwaukee which we won.

Dec 12 - Philly (Home)
Dec 20 - Det (Home)
Jan 9 - Philly (Away)
Jan 15 - Det (Home)
Jan 16 - Mil (Away)
Jan 20 - Lakers (Home)
Feb 1 - Philly (Home)

I honestly think we should at least see how we play against them before we start giving away assets to pursue Poeltl or Kardashian et al to beef up our frontcourt. We may actually do ok.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Agree.

That's the difference between the regular season and the playoffs, you can get away with it once and you win in the regular season, but can you do it 4 times in the playoffs?

Horford and the Celts contained Giannis in Game 1 of the east semis last season and Paul Pierce already proclaimed the Celts the winner of that series.
We all know what happened after Game 1.

The playoffs is all about adjustments.

If you guys also don't want Poeltl then let's just say a "quality big man".

One thing's for sure, Ainge can't let the Celts go into the playoffs without addressing the big man issue.

« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Agree.

Here's the games before the trade deadline when we play the teams with the aforementioned bigs that our lineup of midgets can't deal with (I threw Detroit and Drummond/Griffin in there for giggles). So far we've only played Philly (away) with Kemba shooting poorly and Milwaukee which we won.

Dec 12 - Philly (Home)
Dec 20 - Det (Home)
Jan 9 - Philly (Away)
Jan 15 - Det (Home)
Jan 16 - Mil (Away)
Jan 20 - Lakers (Home)
Feb 1 - Philly (Home)

I honestly think we should at least see how we play against them before we start giving away assets to pursue Poeltl or Kardashian et al to beef up our frontcourt. We may actually do ok.

Against the Cavs, the Celts allowed the Cavs to get 18 offensive rebounds, 8 from Kardashian.

It didn't matter because the Cavs are a bad team.

I don't think the Celts will win a lot of playoff games if they keep allowing opposing teams to get that many 2nd chance opportunities.

« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Agree.

That's the difference between the regular season and the playoffs, you can get away with it once, but can you do it 4 times?

One thing's for sure, Ainge can't let the Celts go into the playoffs without addressing the big man issue.
Actually, it's not for sure, it's just your opinion. If their offense gets everyone healthy, they could get so good everyone would have to adjust to them. It's the old Lombardi football idea. Don't worry about/ adjust to what the opponent is doing, just do what you do so well, the opponents have to worry about/adjust to you. That's what champions do.

« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2019, 09:06:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I don't see any of the small moves being an upgrade over Theis/Kanter.

If one of them gets injured or completely flat lines into a Greg Monroe type production it would make sense of course.

« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2019, 09:08:49 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Agree.

That's the difference between the regular season and the playoffs, you can get away with it once, but can you do it 4 times?

Actually, it's not for sure, it's just your opinion. If their offense gets everyone healthy, they could get so good everyone would have to adjust to them. It's the old Lombardi football idea. Don't worry about/ adjust to what the opponent is doing, just do what you do so well, the opponents have to worry about/adjust to you. That's what champions do.

If you're talking about the Patriots then that's true.

But this year's Celtics team is not a champion team yet.

So saying "what champions do" does not yet apply to this Celts team.
Brad Stevens has yet to make it to the Finals.

Against the Cavs, the Celts allowed the Cavs to get 18 offensive rebounds, 8 from Tristan.
Try letting playoff teams get 18 offensive rebounds against the Celts in the playoffs, I'm sure it will not end well for the Celts.

« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2019, 09:12:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Agree.

Dec 12 - Philly (Home)
Dec 20 - Det (Home)
Jan 9 - Philly (Away)
Jan 15 - Det (Home)
Jan 16 - Mil (Away)
Jan 20 - Lakers (Home)
Feb 1 - Philly (Home)

Against the Cavs, the Celts allowed the Cavs to get 18 offensive rebounds, 8 from Kardashian.

I don't think the Celts will win a lot of playoff games if they keep allowing opposing teams to get that many 2nd chance opportunities.
FWIW the Cavs are a pretty good offense rebounding team, top 10 in the league.

The C's will give up some offensive boards, just baked into their team.

Also Poltl isn't even a good guy on the defensive glass!