Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread : VOTING ENDS 8:00PM EST TONIGHT  (Read 1009185 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread - Back to playing the game
« Reply #645 on: August 20, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
This perhaps isn't the most popular opinion, but there's no way KG should have lasted until #32 in a one year exercise. 

Sure, in the regular season he'll get some nights off.  In the playoffs, though, he'll be playing 35 minutes every night, and will be heading up an elite defense.
I agree completely. If Duncan is a top 17 pick, Garnett has to be as well. Every big taken after Duncan, IMHO, isn't better than Kevin Garnett in a one year exercise.

Why do I suspect that if either of you were GMs in the draft and someone took KG you'd unleash 35,000 words spread over 4 posts about how KG is an injury risk, won't play in back to backs, etc.   8) ;D

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #646 on: August 20, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This perhaps isn't the most popular opinion, but there's no way KG should have lasted until #32 in a one year exercise. 

Sure, in the regular season he'll get some nights off.  In the playoffs, though, he'll be playing 35 minutes every night, and will be heading up an elite defense.
I agree completely. If Duncan is a top 17 pick, Garnett has to be as well. Every big taken after Duncan, IMHO, isn't better than Kevin Garnett in a one year exercise.

Why do I suspect that if either of you were GMs in the draft and someone took KG you'd unleash 35,000 words spread over 4 posts about how KG is an injury risk, won't play in back to backs, etc.   8) ;D

If you're competing, it's strategy to exploit whatever weaknesses you can.  When you're a neutral observer, you can be a bit more candid. 

Since I'm not competing, I have no issue saying that I think KG is a phenomenal value at this stage.  He's one of the very few players in this game that can launch a team to elite status on his own. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #647 on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I don't agree, at least completely. They're both vulnerable, and KG is the worse player right now. Won't be playing b2b's, minutes will be heavily monitored, and of the guys that I think a strong case can be made that they'll 'fall' next season, KG's is one of the top ones, along with Manu, Duncan, and Wade.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #648 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

If you're competing, it's strategy to exploit whatever weaknesses you can.  When you're a neutral observer, you can be a bit more candid. 

Since I'm not competing, I have no issue saying that I think KG is a phenomenal value at this stage.  He's one of the very few players in this game that can launch a team to elite status on his own.

I only wish Roy had felt this way two years ago.

« Reply #649 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

There's no way you can say this with a straight face. As C's fans, we all had to go through last season. I mean, much of the blame is on other members of the team, but at this point, there's no way KG can single-handedly launch a team to elite status on his own.

And honestly, outside of Lebron, there's no one who can.

« Reply #650 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I think Garnett is going to see a pretty big drop-off in Brooklyn next year. Something like 12-13ppg and 7rpg. I am expecting a drop-off defensively too with KG moving back to PF.

« Reply #651 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't agree, at least completely. They're both vulnerable, and KG is the worse player right now. Won't be playing b2b's, minutes will be heavily monitored, and of the guys that I think a strong case can be made that they'll 'fall' next season, KG's is one of the top ones, along with Manu, Duncan, and Wade.

Eh.  The regular season only counts for seeding.  Teams don't play back-to-backs in the post-season, so who cares? So long as KG is in the playoffs -- and he will be -- his team is going to compete.  He'll be giving 35+ minutes, and he'll be playing elite defense and efficient offense.  Oh, and he led the NBA in rebounding in the playoffs last year, too.

I suppose if people are arbitrarily going to factor in drop-offs that there's no evidence of, then yeah, don't take any player over the age of 30.  If you're going for production and impact, though, KG is still a top-tier player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #652 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this run on bigs had to happen after 8 of the top 25 players chosen were PGs.

As most of you who have competed against me here know, like KGK, I am not a believer in building a team starting with a PG. Defense and rebounding wins championships, IMHO, not PG play.

So, yeah, I would value KG highly in this game. An elite defensive rebounding big that makes other players much but defensively with his presence is excellent value a quarter way through the 2nd round.

« Reply #653 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Still willing to move down in the 2nd from 2.10.  Very reluctant to move out of the round though.  But if your guy is still up there, now's the time to snap him up before someone else does.

« Reply #654 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There's no way you can say this with a straight face. As C's fans, we all had to go through last season. I mean, much of the blame is on other members of the team, but at this point, there's no way KG can single-handedly launch a team to elite status on his own.

Nonsense.  The Celtics' defensive splits with KG in the game were extraordinary.  When he was out, either while being rested or injured, the team fell off significantly.

« Reply #655 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Not to save face just because it's my pick, but I think Dirk has an arguable case to that. If you're looking for defense, KG is the better choice. However, with Marc Gasol already on-board, it was a no-brainer for my co-GM and I to choose Dirk over KG. After Dirk, I can only think of one other guy who is a veteran with championship experience and can be relied on for late-game heroics.

In addition to Dirk, I also think Noah has a case for being a better big than KG. Even though I hate the dude, Noah's value to his team is as much, if not more, than KG's, and considering where they're at in their careers, I'd definitely tip my hat towards Noah.

« Reply #656 on: August 20, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Nonsense.  The Celtics' defensive splits with KG in the game were extraordinary.  When he was out, either while being rested or injured, the team fell off significantly.

I don't disagree at all. However, that does nothing to overturn the fact that the C's barely struggled to be a .500 team. Again, I know there are other factors involved: Rondo's ACL, Sully's back, Doc's questionable coaching philosophies, etc. The point is that it's a lofty claim to say KG can elevate a team to elite status on his own when there's only one guy in the league who can claim that.

« Reply #657 on: August 20, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Something you guys shouldn't forget, is we have an elite big who can play C when KG is out for back-to-backs.

Mister Horford.

And yes, I finished my presentation, so I'm back to talk basketball.

« Reply #658 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Not to save face just because it's my pick, but I think Dirk has an arguable case to that. If you're looking for defense, KG is the better choice. However, with Marc Gasol already on-board, it was a no-brainer for my co-GM and I to choose Dirk over KG. After Dirk, I can only think of one other guy who is a veteran with championship experience and can be relied on for late-game heroics.

In addition to Dirk, I also think Noah has a case for being a better big than KG. Even though I hate the dude, Noah's value to his team is as much, if not more, than KG's, and considering where they're at in their careers, I'd definitely tip my hat towards Noah.

Noah does bring a lot of KG factors.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #659 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I only wish Roy had felt this way two years ago.

Blake Griffin, KG, and who else?  I can't remember.

I was definitely skeptical of KG at center.  His biggest asset as a defender is roaming and disrupting the other team.  Against bigger, more physical centers, I thought he'd struggle.  To some extent he did, but he handled himself much better than I expected.