Author Topic: Skinner possibly on his way out at BC  (Read 15766 times)

Re: Skinner possibly on his way out at BC
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I really hope St. John's takes Lavin or Skinner...

I really don't want them to take Baron from Rhody, he has done a great job with the program and with my URI Rams...

But if Baron does get the job and Skinner gets let go, I'd be more then glad for us to take him back from you guys lol.

Well if you remember, they snatched up skinner from the Rams too. I wouldn't be surprised but they will most likely pursue higher profile guys first.

That is why I said I'd be more then glad for us to take him back.

But yes we would look to go after a more high profile coach, but realisticly we probably wouldn't get one.

Oops sorry missed that!
No problem lol.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its about time.  Skinner is a decent coach, and recruiter, but he has been unable to bring this program to the next level.  Much like the football program, they can be spoilers, but cannot win the big game to become an elite team. 

Its a tough call to let such a solid coach go, but if they ever want to be an elite program, they need to get a more dynamic guy in there who can find a way to lift the program up to elite status...it may be a failing search, but it is worth trying, rather than just staying mediocre forever.

What are your expectations for elite? To be like Michigan St. is right now, or Kansas, or Duke, or UNC. 

People don't understand that that is just not possible for some programs.

You guys should be happy you had a coach like Skinner. 

That stretch from 2001-2007 was pretty darn good.

I expect them to get past the sweet 16 in 12 years.  I think an elite team, will get to the Sweet 16 every few years, and occassionally make it to the elite 8 or final 4.  

Why is that not possible for a program like BC?  Yes, they have high academic standards.  So do Duke, Stanford, and many other schools that have had more success.  

I should probably also mention that I am not a fan of BC.  But it is painful to watch the only local college team fail time and time again.  

We have seen with different programs all over the country that the right coach can make a huge difference.  Skinner has done a decent job here, but he has had plenty of time to take it to the next level, and has never done it.  

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
The Globe reported that Skinner has been fired.  I really think his insistance on running the flex without a single post player on the team is hurting BC.  There is a reason that no other team in college basketball plays like BC its because it almost never works unless you have exactly the right players.  I am excited to see a change although I do agree Skinner had a pretty good run. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Its about time.  Skinner is a decent coach, and recruiter, but he has been unable to bring this program to the next level.  Much like the football program, they can be spoilers, but cannot win the big game to become an elite team. 

Its a tough call to let such a solid coach go, but if they ever want to be an elite program, they need to get a more dynamic guy in there who can find a way to lift the program up to elite status...it may be a failing search, but it is worth trying, rather than just staying mediocre forever.

What are your expectations for elite? To be like Michigan St. is right now, or Kansas, or Duke, or UNC. 

I expect them to get past the sweet 16 in 12 years.  I think an elite team, will get to the Sweet 16 every few years, and occassionally make it to the elite 8 or final 4.  

Why is that not possible for a program like BC?  Yes, they have high academic standards.  So do Duke, Stanford, and many other schools that have had more success.  

I should probably also mention that I am not a fan of BC.  But it is painful to watch the only local college team fail time and time again.  

We have seen with different programs all over the country that the right coach can make a huge difference.  Skinner has done a decent job here, but he has had plenty of time to take it to the next level, and has never done it.  

Yes I agree with making it to the Sweet 16 more than once in 12 years but the elite and final four are another thing.  

Those are basically impossible to get to, which makes what Tom Izzo is doing that more impressive.

"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 10:59:15 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I'm not happy about this.  I think Skinner had earned himself a longer leash than this.  The guy's given too much to this program to go out like this.  That team is going to be upperclassman heavy next season and it would've been nice to see what they could do with another year under their belts.  I know they underachieved last year in many eyes (including my own) but that's been the exception rather than the norm during the Skinner era.

Whether or not you're a fan of Skinner's in game strategies and the Flex, you can't deny that he's been one of the best coaches in BC hoops history. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

You seem to be in the minority, Chris, but i'm right there with you.

As an alum of UMass amherst i LIKE Al Skinner a lot and certainly respect what he's done for the program, but it seems like for every 1 step forward this program takes, it quickly finds a way to take 2 backwards.  A constant tease that has not built upon the success that was accumulating several years ago.

I understand that BC actually has academic standards, which certainly will keep BC from an 'elite status' program, but this is a college that plays ball in the ACC.  They have the ability to recuit very good talent and compete every year.  1 sweet 16 appearence in 12-odd years does not cut it.

Again, i understand all the limitations on the program, but the BC football team consistently puts out a quality product that competes for the ACC title anually and is constantly amonst the top 25/30 ranked teams nationally.  Is it too much to ask that the BC basketball program break into a field of 65 teams and earn a W or two every 3 to 5 years? i don't think so.

Side note: i can't explain how happy i am to see the flex offense pack its bags.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's a shame he was let go by BC.  he was a class act at URI.  If Baron leaves, I agree with Mike-Dub that I wouldn't mind him coming back.  He was good at finding talent that slipped through the cracks that could get to the NCAA tournament and pull some surprises---the kind of talent that Baron really hasn't found yet.  Baron's had a good stretch over the last several years, including this one, but the team's talent isn't on the same level as Skinner's best teams here.

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You seem to be in the minority, Chris, but i'm right there with you.

As an alum of UMass amherst i LIKE Al Skinner a lot and certainly respect what he's done for the program, but it seems like for every 1 step forward this program takes, it quickly finds a way to take 2 backwards.  A constant tease that has not built upon the success that was accumulating several years ago.

I understand that BC actually has academic standards, which certainly will keep BC from an 'elite status' program, but this is a college that plays ball in the ACC.  They have the ability to recuit very good talent and compete every year.  1 sweet 16 appearence in 12-odd years does not cut it.

Again, i understand all the limitations on the program, but the BC football team consistently puts out a quality product that competes for the ACC title anually and is constantly amonst the top 25/30 ranked teams nationally.  Is it too much to ask that the BC basketball program break into a field of 65 teams and earn a W or two every 3 to 5 years? i don't think so.

Side note: i can't explain how happy i am to see the flex offense pack its bags.

For the record, I think BC football is pretty similar to BC basketball.  They are consistently decent to good, but they never seem able to get into the BCS picture.  I think Tom O'Brien was the football version of Skinner.  About as solid as you could get, but never lifting them up to truly high levels. 

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Part of me thinks that this has to be about ego too.

Skinner, York, and O'Brien were all Gladchuk hires.  DeFilippo had no one in there.  Its not rocket science to realize that you want your "own guys" in there at some point.  This little slip up of a year gave DeFilippo the ammo he needed to get Skinner out of there and get one of "his hires" in there.  I have to wonder if this is more about him and less than what went down on the basketball court. 

There definitely is a divide among alums about where they stand on this current regime.  There are a lot of people not happy with the way things have transpired on the Heights the last few years.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 12:13:07 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
The year they lost to Nova was tough, that was a very good team.

Smith, Dudley, and Williams - all future NBAers. Rice was a college stud. And good depth. Couple that with only Rice being a real gem. On the other hand what's the point of having academic standards if you are still going to be scandal plagued (Williams, his buddy, Ryan Sidney, etc.)

Overall Skinner did a nice job, but I think a change of scenery will be good for both sides.

Gene's had 13 years to toss Skinner and there were some really bad years to start and plenty of good reasons along the way. I don't think its personal.

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Well, I think the success on the basketball court matched or exceeded the talent level. The problem is that the talent level hasn't really hit the point where it needs to be.

They are an ACC school and I'd be shocked if I saw a McD's all american had committed to BC. Finding Dudley, Smith, and Rice was awesome, but recruiting does need to get better.

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Well, I think the success on the basketball court matched or exceeded the talent level. The problem is that the talent level hasn't really hit the point where it needs to be.

They are an ACC school and I'd be shocked if I saw a McD's all american had committed to BC. Finding Dudley, Smith, and Rice was awesome, but recruiting does need to get better.

Absolutely.  But unlike the NBA, the talent in college is brought in by the coaches.  Maybe the team might tie their hands a bit, but if coach K can put contenders on the floor year after year at Duke, then the right coach could bring in blue chippers to BC. 

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Absolutely.  But unlike the NBA, the talent in college is brought in by the coaches.  Maybe the team might tie their hands a bit, but if coach K can put contenders on the floor year after year at Duke, then the right coach could bring in blue chippers to BC. 

The right coach would but I think it has to be a big name.  The problem is that BC isn't going to hire an established name as Skinner's replacement.  Its almost certain to be an "up & comer" and that will come on the relative "cheap".  The program isn't going to break the bank for a big name, IMO.

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
With the exception of BC hockey, I don't think BC sports are a "destination" program for ambitious coaches.  In the cases of football and basketball, its a "stepping stone" for coaches.  I know that may rub some BC fans the wrong way but its pretty much the reality of things.  You don't see coaches leaving big time college programs to come to BC.  Part of the problem is that BC is in a professional sports town and college sports will always be second-tier in that town.  The allure just isn't there and you can argue that the budget isn't, either.

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

The right coach would but I think it has to be a big name.  The problem is that BC isn't going to hire an established name as Skinner's replacement.  Its almost certain to be an "up & comer" and that will come on the relative "cheap".  The program isn't going to break the bank for a big name, IMO.

I am sure you are right.  But it doesn't mean keeping a guy who has been solid but mediocre for 12 years around longer makes sense.