Author Topic: Pentagon Defense  (Read 4771 times)

Pentagon Defense
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Much has been made over the years of the famous Triangle Offense that Phil Jackson and Lakers employ, however they are about to face a new scheme that could change the way basketball is played forever. It is called the "Pentagon Defense." It is made up of 5 interchangeable players who play elite team defense, coupled with substitutes that continue the level of defensive play. I know this can be confusing, so I made a quick diagram to show how it works, I think it is pretty self explanatory.

Re: Pentagon Defense
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
lol that'd be great if we were trying to keep them from going out of bounds...but last i checked, our goal is to stay in front of the man and keep him from getting open looks at the basket. this gives fully open looks to 4 out of 5 players.

nice diagram, though haha

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:23 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
lol that'd be great if we were trying to keep them from going out of bounds...but last i checked, our goal is to stay in front of the man and keep him from getting open looks at the basket. this gives fully open looks to 4 out of 5 players.

nice diagram, though haha

If you notice in the diagram, there is no way out, going out of bounds is not an option. The only hope of surviving the Pentagon Defense is to turn the ball over and beg for mercy.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Much has been made over the years of the famous Triangle Offense that Phil Jackson and Lakers employ, however they are about to face a new scheme that could change the way basketball is played forever. It is called the "Pentagon Defense." It is made up of 5 interchangeable players who play elite team defense, coupled with substitutes that continue the level of defensive play. I know this can be confusing, so I made a quick diagram to show how it works, I think it is pretty self explanatory.

My gawd good man, why, oh why cannot Tibs office of secret plans keep a secret? Leaked by a malcontent, no doubt  :P ;D
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 04:29:36 AM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Well, in view of this secret plan, I now realise that my Lakers have absolutely no hope.  They will finish the shortened 4-game series without even one basket.  I think that once they get on the court, they should just kneel down in awe-struck reverence in front of Doc Rivers, and sue for peace.  It is obvious, that forfeiture is the only means to avoid our total corporal disintegration. ::)

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 04:35:58 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
lol tp for you

btw whose giving tommy points to these la fans?

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 04:40:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Well, in view of this secret plan, I now realise that my Lakers have absolutely no hope.  They will finish the shortened 4-game series without even one basket.  I think that once they get on the court, they should just kneel down in awe-struck reverence in front of Doc Rivers, and sue for peace.  It is obvious, that forfeiture is the only means to avoid our total corporal disintegration. ::)

Wow ... this gets the award for the year's greatest condescending irony. The early Lakers Fans' posts were of a much higher perspective ... the closer we get to ground zero, the lower the target seems to get. Too bad we can't keep the discourse a little more objective ... and a little more civil. (Guess I expect too much, eh?)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 04:44:43 AM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
Hi Bahku,
Just having a little fun, and really I thought I was responding within the general tenor of the original posting (which I took to be ironic and condescending), but this is OK in my book.  This is after all a Celtic fan blog, and I am somewhat of an interloper though hopefully my postings are not seen as being totally without humor or acumen.

Did you really see any objectivity in the original posting, or in my response?  This is just pre-game banter between honorable opposing franchise members for me.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 05:05:30 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hi Bahku,
Just having a little fun, and really I thought I was responding within the general tenor of the original posting (which I took to be ironic and condescending), but this is OK in my book.  This is after all a Celtic fan blog, and I am somewhat of an interloper though hopefully my postings are not seen as being totally without humor or acumen.

Did you really see any objectivity in the original posting, or in my response?  This is just pre-game banter between honorable opposing franchise members for me.

No problem ... I know where you're coming from here, I had just hoped that we could prove the majority wrong, and keep the banter to a higher level. I think there's a lot we can learn from each other, between our "enemy camps", but when it gets to the point of bashing and belittling, the integrity of true discussion goes up in flames.

I actually got a kick out of your comment and it's wit, and the ultimate irony with it is that Doc gets far more criticism on this blog, (and in Boston), than he does praise. There are many, many people here in New England, and on this blog, that question a great deal of what Doc does, (myself included), and far too few that support him "blindly", as your post intimates ... so the mental image of anyone kneeling in front of Doc, was one of exceptional incongruity.

I wasn't trying to say you'd crossed any line, just hoping to keep things steered in a more amicable direction. I know that's far too much to ask of most, but I've noticed how intelligent and articulate your previous posts have been, and I think you sell yourself short with anything less. I personally love having you folks visit, I think it shows a great deal of character on both sides that we can communicate so civilly, and gives us a little something different to focus our aggression on, instead of each other;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:16:10 AM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
Bahku,
I certainly understand what you are saying.  In my case, I guess it is just that I have never lost sight that we are talking about a "sport".  It is difficult for me to translate elation for a victory of my team into gloating, and likewise dismay at the defeat of my team into hate.  Hate is just such a stupid emotion, and the moreso if we are talking about something so inconsequential, however much we love it, as basketball, in the grand scheme of things.  Actually, this particular posting I did not find to be of particular "lowness", but rather amusing.  You will not see me however responding in threads (unless to disagree and give a more balanced opinion) where everything is just bluff and bluster and lots of putting everybody and everything down.  Honorable "enemies", but not really, have to keep things in perspective.  For the love of the game, even if who plays better and wins is not my team!  I imagine my viewpoint comes with my age - hearkening back to when there still existed respect, and a general idea of honorable "sportmanship".  My two cents.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:31:35 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bahku,
I certainly understand what you are saying.  In my case, I guess it is just that I have never lost sight that we are talking about a "sport".  It is difficult for me to translate elation for a victory of my team into gloating, and likewise dismay at the defeat of my team into hate.  Hate is just such a stupid emotion, and the moreso if we are talking about something so inconsequential, however much we love it, as basketball, in the grand scheme of things.  Actually, this particular posting I did not find to be of particular "lowness", but rather amusing.  You will not see me however responding in threads (unless to disagree and give a more balanced opinion) where everything is just bluff and bluster and lots of putting everybody and everything down.  Honorable "enemies", but not really, have to keep things in perspective.  For the love of the game, even if who plays better and wins is not my team!  I imagine my viewpoint comes with my age - hearkening back to when there still existed respect, and a general idea of honorable "sportmanship".  My two cents.

I hear ya, CR, and wholeheartedly agree. I really wasn't attacking you or your post, just hoping to get others from your "side" to help keep the level of discourse as high as possible. I, too, am of a previous era, (or two), and having just reached my fifth decade, (ouch!), have trouble with the whole "blindly hate Lakers fans" thing ... the team, OK, but everyone else? (Don't quite get that).

I was actually giving out Tommy Points to a couple of you, and got slammed for it, from that whole "hate everything Lakers" type of mentality. I can also guarantee you that this post will get me into trouble with the same folks. So be it ... I honestly don't think it makes me less of a fan, on the contrary, I think that kind of blind animosity can muddy the waters of fanhood a bit.

Anyway, regardless of my "fuddy-duddiness" I am green to the core, but still find it fascinating to objectively discuss our respective teams with you folks. I've learned far more about the impending match-up from the Lakers bloggers visiting us, than I have from the media, and it's much more enjoyable getting to know good people like yourself. In summation, while you are still of the "enemy camp" in my eyes, you'll get no blatant hatred from me ... life's far too short to taint it thus.

Hope to see you around more ... I think we're of the same elements, you and I, (though of different colors), and can have more such rewarding dialogue about this game we so love. That's what this blogging stuff's all about to me ... at least that's what I try to make it ... and I don't always succeed.  ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
lol tp for you

Hopefully, other Lakers fans.  That sacrilege is better than the thought that *Celtics* fans could be denigrating Tommy like that.

;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 06:41:39 AM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
lol tp for you

Hopefully, other Lakers fans.  That sacrilege is better than the thought that *Celtics* fans could be denigrating Tommy like that.

;)

Oh Geez, I was about to give Bakhu a point.  It would have been my first.  However, I would not like to see him being drawn-and-quartered :o

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 06:57:38 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just so it's "common knowledge" on this blog, while I can be civil and enjoy great discourse with just about anyone, I won't be giving out Tommy Points to Lakers fans ... Tommy is close to a deity in my family, and I'm not about to denegrade him in such a way, (though I unthinkingly made that mistake initially).

I fervently proclaim here and now that my blood is as green as anyone's in New England, and that having good discussions with, or communicating positively with a Lakers fan, has absolutely nothing to do with how sincere I am about my love for this team, or all things Celtics. On the contrary, being civil to your opponent, (especially before the battle), is what good sportsmanship is all about to me ... but then, I'm old school, right?  ;)

But despite my civility, there'll be no TP's from me in any westward direction, (except maybe New Hampshire).  ;D

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
lol tp for you

the other LA fans.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion