Author Topic: Am I simply drinking too much koolaid?  (Read 13387 times)

Re: Am I simply drinking too much koolaid?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
So assuming you have Kobe on Magic, do you really think Gasol can guard Kareem? Or that Worthy wouldn't kill Odom. That Scott wouldn't shoot all day over Fisher? Cooper would shut down anybody in your second unit and Turief gets killed by McAdoo or Thompson.

That's what I'm saying.  I think you guys will be surprised by this Lakers team.  Remember when the Patriots won their recent first Super Bowl, what was it 6 years ago?  Remember how Tom Brady (who?) and the whole team was under the radar?  I think the Lakers are a lot like that right now.  Those Patriots became one of the best NFL teams of all time.  I think that is the best example of where the Lakers are at.

Conventional wisdom sounds like what you guys are posting.  "Wait til you win a title" etc.  I think the 80's teams have been glorified by the benefit of time and reminiscing, whereas current teams are in the fire.  Yes the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s were among the greatest ever.  If the Lakers win in 5 you'd have to say we are among the best ever- right?  Think how good the Celtics are right now.  It would take a Juggernaut to beat them, right?  So let's just see if this plays out.  If I am wrong I will come back here and eat crow...
But if I am right I hope a few of you do the same.

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 07:56:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If the Lakers win in 5 you'd have to say we are among the best ever- right? 

Why would you have to say that?

I mean, even if the Celts sweep this series, I'm not going to be under the illusion that they're better than the 1980s teams.  Those teams were just of a higher class.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
We're lucky to have a great series on our hands ready to go here!
This is an historic moment. 
I plan to enjoy every minute of the series!
Good luck!

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser

a.  Considering how GREAT the Celtics are... to beat them in 5 would be a herculean task fit for only a truly great team, no?

b.  If the 80's Lakers played this Celtics team, it would be at least a 5 game series, am i wrong?

Therefore, if this Lakers team can win in 5, it would be like the 80's Lakers and/or a team of such greatness to dispacth a great Celtics team there would be no alternative but to label this Lakers team one of the best ever.

If not, what else would they have to do?  Sweep with a 20 pt margin every game???

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
So assuming you have Kobe on Magic, do you really think Gasol can guard Kareem? Or that Worthy wouldn't kill Odom. That Scott wouldn't shoot all day over Fisher? Cooper would shut down anybody in your second unit and Turief gets killed by McAdoo or Thompson.

That's what I'm saying.  I think you guys will be surprised by this Lakers team.  Remember when the Patriots won their recent first Super Bowl, what was it 6 years ago?  Remember how Tom Brady (who?) and the whole team was under the radar?  I think the Lakers are a lot like that right now.  Those Patriots became one of the best NFL teams of all time.  I think that is the best example of where the Lakers are at.

Conventional wisdom sounds like what you guys are posting.  "Wait til you win a title" etc.  I think the 80's teams have been glorified by the benefit of time and reminiscing, whereas current teams are in the fire.  Yes the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s were among the greatest ever.  If the Lakers win in 5 you'd have to say we are among the best ever- right?  Think how good the Celtics are right now.  It would take a Juggernaut to beat them, right?  So let's just see if this plays out.  If I am wrong I will come back here and eat crow...

First of all, the comparison to the '01 Patriots team is a bit ridiculous.  Yes, that team flew under the radar and were 14 point underdogs against a Rams team that was only two year removed from a Super Bowl victory. In this instance,  national pundits (look at the ESPN Celtics/Lakers page for one) are almost exclusively picking the Lakers to win this series.  How exactly is that flying under the radar?  Comparing the '01 Pats and the '08 Lakers is like comparing apples and oranges.  Actually, there is no comparison.  And if you're claiming that the Celtics are the juggernaut here, then how exactly does beating them make them the Best of All Time.  That '01 Patriots is genuinely regarded as the worst of the 3 title teams this decade.  The Giants upset the Patriots in the Super Bowl.  Does that make them the best of all time?  Not a chance. 

Best ever in they win in 5?  Are you kidding me?  They wouldn't crack the Top 10 teams of All-Time. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Thanks Bandonox, I always welcome a Tommy point. Look, I know Kobe is on  Jordan, Bird, Magic level...talent wise. That is undisputable.

I know he is probably the single best player in the game right now.

But, I was incredibly disappointed with the league for giving the MVP to a guy who only seven months earlier was trashing his organisation and his teammates. From a parking lot?

I always thought the MVP was for guys who, like you siad, were the best player on the best team in the league. It's always been given to that guy and I beleive it should be. I beleive that the award that most celebrates one individual in the game whould be ab award that recognizes character and committment to team just as much a sheer numbers.

How can that be Kobe when you have Paul, LeBron and Garnett?

Personally, I think it should have been a toss up between Paul and Garnett with a nod to Garnett because his team finished 1st in the league. Then Paul, then Kobe/LeBron.

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

a.  Considering how GREAT the Celtics are... to beat them in 5 would be a herculean task fit for only a truly great team, no?

b.  If the 80's Lakers played this Celtics team, it would be at least a 5 game series, am i wrong?

Therefore, if this Lakers team can win in 5, it would be like the 80's Lakers and/or a team of such greatness to dispacth a great Celtics team there would be no alternative but to label this Lakers team one of the best ever.

If not, what else would they have to do?  Sweep with a 20 pt margin every game???

Be in 6 finals in a row
have at least 4 hall of famers
be consider that good after 20 years
just starting....
and I cant remember anyone saying this cs team is AS good and GREAT as the 80s
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser

Be in 6 finals in a row
just starting....

Well I'll just have to get back to you in 5 years then.
I recognized the Patriots greatness in Year 1 of their championship and knew it would go on.
But if you need to see it all in the rear view mirror, that is fair enough.  I don't want to prematurely crown a dynasty.  But I think that's where this is going and we'll just have to cross paths in 5 years to say hello.

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Be in 6 finals in a row
just starting....

Well I'll just have to get back to you in 5 years then.
I recognized the Patriots greatness in Year 1 of their championship and knew it would go on.
But if you need to see it all in the rear view mirror, that is fair enough.  I don't want to prematurely crown a dynasty.  But I think that's where this is going and we'll just have to cross paths in 5 years to say hello.

I think this is going to Cs winning two years in a row and then Lakers start dominating because of age
so yes
It will be nice
Hope to see u and talk in 5 years Disco  ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Looking at the Showtime Lakers over the decade of 79-89, you have:
5 championships
8 trips to the finals
4 Hall of Famers (Magic, Kareem, Worthy, McAdoo)
Other players who were all-stars at one point in their careers (Norm Nixon, Jamal Wilkes)
One of the top defensive players of all time (Michael Cooper)

You simply can't compare those teams to the current Lakers, just as you can't compare the 2008 Celtics to the Celtics of the 1980s.

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17

That's what I'm saying.  I think you guys will be surprised by this Lakers team.  Remember when the Patriots won their recent first Super Bowl, what was it 6 years ago?  Remember how Tom Brady (who?) and the whole team was under the radar?  I think the Lakers are a lot like that right now.  Those Patriots became one of the best NFL teams of all time.  I think that is the best example of where the Lakers are at.

Conventional wisdom sounds like what you guys are posting.  "Wait til you win a title" etc.  I think the 80's teams have been glorified by the benefit of time and reminiscing, whereas current teams are in the fire.  Yes the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s were among the greatest ever.  If the Lakers win in 5 you'd have to say we are among the best ever- right?  Think how good the Celtics are right now.  It would take a Juggernaut to beat them, right?  So let's just see if this plays out.  If I am wrong I will come back here and eat crow...

Under The Radar.....?
Have you even watched ESPN in the last 72 hours?
They are so far ABOVE the radar, right now, the radar got a kink in it's neck trying to look up too far.... ( i know... that was REAL BAD) But seriously....under the radar....patriots....tom brady.... ::)
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 11:43:13 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yes, I think that you're drinking slightly too much Koolaid, but I also think that the National Media has grossly underestimated the Celtics. Anyway, this is my main reason to feel confident as a Laker fan.

Doc Rivers vs. Phil Jackson

-Greg Popovich
-Pat Riley
-Larry Brown
-Phil Jackson
-Rudy Tomjanovich
-Chuck Daly

Those 6 coaches have accounted for the last 21 NBA titles. That's a pretty amazing stat. All of them, with the probable exception of Rudy T.,  (who was still a [dang] good coach) will be or are in the Hall of Fame.

The much maligned Doc Rivers would be a peculiar addition to that list.

The Lakers gained a bit of an advantage when the Celtics clinched in 6. This gave them a couple of extra days to prepare for a specific team. If you give Phil Jackson an extended period of time to prepare a scheme, I think that will bear more fruit than giving Doc Rivers a couple of extra days to prepare. 

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Yes, I think that you're drinking slightly too much Koolaid, but I also think that the National Media has grossly underestimated the Celtics. Anyway, this is my main reason to feel confident as a Laker fan.

Doc Rivers vs. Phil Jackson

-Greg Popovich
-Pat Riley
-Larry Brown
-Phil Jackson
-Rudy Tomjanovich
-Chuck Daly

Those 6 coaches have accounted for the last 21 NBA titles. That's a pretty amazing stat. All of them, with the probable exception of Rudy T.,  (who was still a [dang] good coach) will be or are in the Hall of Fame.

The much maligned Doc Rivers would be a peculiar addition to that list.

The Lakers gained a bit of an advantage when the Celtics clinched in 6. This gave them a couple of extra days to prepare for a specific team. If you give Phil Jackson an extended period of time to prepare a scheme, I think that will bear more fruit than giving Doc Rivers a couple of extra days to prepare. 

Wrong!

A flippin' Caveman(and Tibs of course), could coach this team through the season to secure homecourt advantage on through the playoff series and sucessfully through the Finals to a World Championship #17 banner. I'm sure of it  ;)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 02:44:37 AM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
The Lakers right now are among the best Lakers teams we've ever had.
I don't think this year's Celtics match up to the 80's Celtics.

You're not saying this Lakers team could come close to any of the 80s teams, are you?

Because if so, I'll take the team with Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, and Scott, thanks.  I hope that you're 25 or younger, because your perspective is warped on this particular claim.

Roy,
I totally agree.  The short-sightedness and mindless enthusiasm of callow youth raises its' head here.  I think that there are a lot of older fans on this board that actually remember those teams.  This is just talking out of one's hat!  The Laker team this year is a surprise.  They will probably become better with age in the coming years if they can manage to remain together, but, so far they are an unproven quantity as far as I am concerned, and have not really won anything yet.  Better than Magic's teams - ridiculous.

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 02:49:09 AM »

Offline Lakers6

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
Scoobs, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I went a little overboard propping my guys but the Lakers bench IS game-changing and has been since mid-season. They led the series-clinching rally against SA in game 5. I saw the other thread dissing Luke, Sasha, Ronnie, Jordan, etc--I guess just like you'll have to prove to me that Rondo is an NBA player I will have to let the games speak for themselves. If the Lakers bench does NOT come through, go ahead and hang the 17th Banner.

Two notes: it seems to me that you guys are overestimating the win over Detroit. No matter what Chauncy said, you do not come back from a hamstring/quad injury in anything under 6-8 weeks. You beat a depleted team, but if it helps your confidence, go for it. Also, beating Cleveland is not that big a deal. How hard is it to defend a one-dimensional team? Or any team that has Ben Wallace on the floor--thus making it 4 against 5 for Cleveland on the offensive end. Some others have made the point that what looks like good defense in the east is really just awful offensive talent. Calling Cleveland the third best team in the playoffs, after Boston and Detroit, is just plain crazy. New Orleans, SA, and probably Jazz and Suns could take Cleveland.

In all the "skoal-ing" no one has mentioned that the Lakers are the best passing team in the league. Maybe the best passing team that Boston has ever seen, going back to Bill Russell (as coach) days. And who said the Lakers are tall but NOT athletic? That is some seriously laced kool-aid. As Charles Barkley said, this is the best Lakers team, top-to-bottom, since 1987.

Celtics do have a good defense, I saw it myself. I remember thinking that the Celts would probably have 2 to 3 rings in a row. Now I am not so sure. One thing to keep in mind, is that if you don't close the deal this year, that is it, the window is closed. Next year the Lakers will be on a mission, (and Bynum's injury is not a serious "micro-fracture" type thing that turns you into chris webber). So good luck, if you win this you will certainly be a deserving champion. A one year wonder. After that, it's all Lakers and you're a guest in our league until Kobe retires.

Best wishes!