Author Topic: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M  (Read 30847 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Hindsight is always 20/20.

It's not like Ainge didn't try to hold on to Doc.
In fact, the Celts asked for a draft pick from the Clips because they stole Doc from the Celts.

And IT was traded because he was damaged goods.

Ainge would not have traded IT if IT was healthy.

Also, we already saw evidence from last season that part of the Celtics problem was Brad giving Hayward special treatment.
That already gives you a preview of the Brad-Hayward relationship.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but this narrative has always bothered me. I get that Hayward was coming off of a major injury, but he was hardly given special treatment. Any coach of any team that had signed a max FA entering his prime would give that player some level of preference and let them ease back in with heavy rotation minutes. It has a lot more to do with Rozier and Morris(?) being babies than with this special Stevens/Hayward bond.
The narrative that Hayward wasn't given any special treatment has always bothered me. You don't rock the boat by starting a wing player whose confidence was down due to a gruesome ankle injury over running back the starting 5 that led your team to the ECF, even if the wing in question is a star. You let him slowly regain his verve by coming off the bench and feasting on opposing bench units. This will take off a lot of the pressure surrounding the player as well, ntm him coming off the bench would bolster our second unit. It was absolutely Hayward receiving the golden boy treatment.

Lol - yeah, we should have rolled into the season with a Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Morris, Horford line-up. That is after all the line-up that took us to game 7 of the ECF.

You just don't know what you're talking about here. Hayward was cleared to play at the start of the season. Even if he wasn't at his peak, any coach would give him the 'golden boy' treatment. He was a sought after in his prime max FA. Before his injury he was 1a/1b with Irving. That's just how it works.

I would have had Hayward start the season off the bench as well. Brad has started Tayshaun Prince, jammer nelson over guys we hoped to develop. He’s been about earning the minutes even at expense of the future. Just like people give Brad credit for that team he should ( IMO) showed more respect for what those guys brought. I’m going in the assumption that at that point in Hayward’s recovery/ journey back whatever ... he wasn’t beating the other starters.
  Brad was always about this .. and then Gordon was handled differently. Gordon isn’t crazy like Kyrie. Brad could have started Baynes or Morris, yes. I personally would have hoped for Baynes.
  Either way, it’s an opinion so no need to tell someone they don’t know what they’re talking about or laugh at their opinion.

I thought this was thread was about brown's contract...

« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2019, 12:54:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

In fact, the Celts asked for a draft pick from the Clips because they stole Doc from the Celts.

Also, we already saw evidence from last season that part of the Celtics problem was Brad giving Hayward special treatment.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but this narrative has always bothered me. I get that Hayward was coming off of a major injury, but he was hardly given special treatment. Any coach of any team that had signed a max FA entering his prime would give that player some level of preference and let them ease back in with heavy rotation minutes. It has a lot more to do with Rozier and Morris(?) being babies than with this special Stevens/Hayward bond.
The narrative that Hayward wasn't given any special treatment has always bothered me. You don't rock the boat by starting a wing player whose confidence was down due to a gruesome ankle injury over running back the starting 5 that led your team to the ECF, even if the wing in question is a star. You let him slowly regain his verve by coming off the bench and feasting on opposing bench units. This will take off a lot of the pressure surrounding the player as well, ntm him coming off the bench would bolster our second unit. It was absolutely Hayward receiving the golden boy treatment.

Lol - yeah, we should have rolled into the season with a Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Morris, Horford line-up. That is after all the line-up that took us to game 7 of the ECF.

You just don't know what you're talking about here. Hayward was cleared to play at the start of the season. Even if he wasn't at his peak, any coach would give him the 'golden boy' treatment. He was a sought after in his prime max FA. Before his injury he was 1a/1b with Irving. That's just how it works.

I would have had Hayward start the season off the bench as well. Brad has started Tayshaun Prince, jammer nelson over guys we hoped to develop. He’s been about earning the minutes even at expense of the future. Just like people give Brad credit for that team he should ( IMO) showed more respect for what those guys brought. I’m going in the assumption that at that point in Hayward’s recovery/ journey back whatever ... he wasn’t beating the other starters.
  Brad was always about this .. and then Gordon was handled differently. Gordon isn’t crazy like Kyrie. Brad could have started Baynes or Morris, yes. I personally would have hoped for Baynes.
  Either way, it’s an opinion so no need to tell someone they don’t know what they’re talking about or laugh at their opinion.

The 'Lol' was over his comment that we should have started the season with who led us to the ECF. I am sure starting Rozier would have gone over great with Kyrie. It wasn't incendiary.

And I'll stand by my other comment. Somebody's point was that it was 'golden boy' treatment simply because of the CBS/Hayward connection. I disagree. I think most coaches - including CBS - start their in their in-their-prime max FA when they are cleared to play. If the player had been Jimmy Butler or Paul George, either of them would have started as well. Stars deserve the star treatment until they've lost that privilege.

Part of Hayward's problem was the Jaylen decided to crap the bed to start the season, as well. If Jaylen had played better or we had just simply started Smart, Hayward probably would have continued to start (he is the one who offered to go to the bench anyway). The good in all of this is that we actually got to see Hayward and Jaylen develop a lot of chemistry on the 2nd unit which should roll into this season.

« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2019, 01:48:25 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Lol yeah you don't know what you're talking about. It would've been common sense to start Irving over Rozier, he didn't have some major injury that would severely limit his athleticism for a year or two, he had a cleanup procedure on his knee that had him practicing close to full capacity in a few months without doing much (if at all) rehab. And the frontcourt duo that got us to the ECF was Horford-Baynes, I would've started them plus Kyrie, Brown and Tatum. And I don't care about how good he was before the injury, all I know is that his projected level of play last season (which was eventually the level he played at) was nowhere near that level, it wasn't rocket science to see that was the case last year.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

it was. let's make it so once more.

4/80 is a decent starting point for negotiations. Myles Turner signed a 4/72. Gary Harris 4/74. Gobert 4/94. Oladipo 4/84.

i am sure the numbers for brown will go up. but i do not think it would be a wise investment to give him the max. the celtics, i think, would come to rue that contact.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

4/80 is a decent starting point for negotiations. Myles Turner signed a 4/72. Gary Harris 4/74. Gobert 4/94. Oladipo 4/84.

i am sure the numbers for brown will go up. but i do not think it would be a wise investment to give him the max. the celtics, i think, would come to rue that contact.

if the salary cap does drop even 5% over the china stuff, he may end up having to take something close to the 4 for 80

« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

People keep bringing up Oladipo, as if Brown is somehow worse than Oladipo and therefore deserves no more than what he got, but I don't get this argument.

Here are some numbers for Oladipo's third season, the offseason after which he signed his deal:

Here's Jaylen:

Those are pretty darn comparable, with Oladipo having a significant edge in assists (of course, he came into the NBA as a PG, and still was getting some time there in year 3, so one needs to account for that), and Jaylen having a smaller edge in everything else, as well as being a year younger.  Both had reasonably good reputations on defense.

Furthermore, the projected 4-year max Oladipo was negotiating against was approximately 4 years, $110 million (the Thunder could not give Oladipo the 5-year max because Westbrook was still playing under his own 5-year rookie extension, and the prior CBA, which was in effect at the time, did not permit them to sign Oladipo to one as well).  So this means that Oladipo's deal, earned him a little over 76% of the max deal available to him.  A corresponding number for Brown would be right around the 4 years, $100 million some think he will end up at.  Gobert got 85% of the max, which would translate to 4 years, $110 million under today's numbers.

« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

People keep bringing up Oladipo, as if Brown is somehow worse than Oladipo and therefore deserves no more than what he got, but I don't get this argument.

Here are some numbers for Oladipo's third season, the offseason after which he signed his deal:

Here's Jaylen:

Those are pretty darn comparable, with Oladipo having a significant edge in assists (of course, he came into the NBA as a PG, and still was getting some time there in year 3, so one needs to account for that), and Jaylen having a smaller edge in everything else, as well as being a year younger.  Both had reasonably good reputations on defense.

Furthermore, the projected 4-year max Oladipo was negotiating against was approximately 4 years, $110 million (the Thunder could not give Oladipo the 5-year max because Westbrook was still playing under his own 5-year rookie extension, and the prior CBA, which was in effect at the time, did not permit them to sign Oladipo to one as well).  So this means that Oladipo's deal, earned him a little over 76% of the max deal available to him.  A corresponding number for Brown would be right around the 4 years, $100 million some think he will end up at.  Gobert got 85% of the max, which would translate to 4 years, $110 million under today's numbers.

Its funny, because Oladipo is actually an example of a guy who a team took a risk locking up and it ended up paying off (injuries aside). Paying Jaylen 100/4 seems like a lot, but if he really explodes he could end up a relative bargain. And sure its a risk, but you gotta take risks at some point.

People are still adjusting to the new cap environment. 17-20 million is like the new low end Starter money (Rubio, Barnes, Rozier). Adjust expectations accordingly.

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think Danny will eventually lock up Jaylen Brown....you dont go through all this effort to get picks, draft these guys to build around them and then let them go because you are too cheap.

80million is probably dannys starting offer. He knows he is going to have to come up to meet Jaylens demands, and im sure Jaylen knows he is going to have to come down.

« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2019, 05:13:25 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I don’t see Jaylen taking less than the max. He has to wait to see if that’s out there. Bad look doing anything else with the player’s union.

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Danny will eventually lock up Jaylen Brown....you dont go through all this effort to get picks, draft these guys to build around them and then let them go because you are too cheap.

80million is probably dannys starting offer. He knows he is going to have to come up to meet Jaylens demands, and im sure Jaylen knows he is going to have to come down.
I agree. You don't groom him as a player and pro and then walk away from a 23 year old talent over a few million a year.

Danny started at $20 million per year, which probably means he would, right now before the season starts, be willing to commit to $23-25 million a year before the season starts.

But if it doesn't get done and Brown shines this year, Danny will give him the max next off-season. And if he doesn't, well, Pops loves the kid. If SA can open up space, I think Pops would have no problem offering him a max.

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think Jaylen will leave for a max elsewhere though. Brad tanking him for Marcus and Ainge’s dumb comments to press on him. I’d go somewhere else if I was him. Hope he’s here, though.

« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2019, 05:45:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ainge said negotiations are going well, that he’s made 4 offers, and that the 4/20 report was inaccurate. Per Toucher and Ross

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2019, 05:52:56 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Ainge said negotiations are going well, that he’s made 4 offers, and that the 4/20 report was inaccurate. Per Toucher and Ross

If he went out of the way to say it was inaccurate, it means that 4/20 feels like a slight to Brown and might affect his feeling toward the organization.

« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Any chance the Kings consider Hield for Brown?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/10/buddy-hield-hints-at-trade-demand.htm

Sorry didn't know this had been discussed earlier
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:38:22 PM by BMark »

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2019, 07:12:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

If he went out of the way to say it was inaccurate, it means that 4/20 feels like a slight to Brown and might affect his feeling toward the organization.
I think they just don't want to look like they are low balling with all the $ other guys signed for. They made an offer/s in the "80s" not exactly 4 years 80 million.