Author Topic: Jayson Tatum's improved play  (Read 18598 times)

Re: Jayson Tatum's improved play
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I wouldn't trade him for anyone other than the no-brainer 1st team all nba guys like Freak and Kawhi. Much better future than board fantasy man KAT will ever have.

JMO, he's 1-2 years from becoming perennial all nba. He's arguably the best all around player on a team that has 4 all star caliber players, at age 21. I get frustrated with his shot selection, get frustrated with some things Ainge and Stevens do like everyone else, but with Tatum and Brown, I don't know how every Celtics fan isn't stoked for the future.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Earlier this year i criticized his offensive game because i felt that he had not put it all together on that end compared to what my expectations were. Well, my expectations are becoming a reality. Even when he's missing shots he's putting a tremendous amount of pressure on the defense. He can pretty much get whatever kind of shot he wants when he wants, which is a mark of all the true greats. The last step for him is to make those shots with consistency and for the past month or so he is beginning to do that and it looks scary. He is starting to look like a bonafide franchise level player.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 07:32:19 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
His True Shooting Percentage by month:

October     .482   
November   .520
December  .562
January   .567
February   .599   
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I love Tatum's game and am very impressed with him. There is something though about Brown that makes me think he has shades of Kobe and MJ! When I watch Brown play it just looks to me that in another year or two the guy may become unstoppable on offense. He has all of the tools and it's almost like the C's are somewhat limiting him on purpose although not in a bad sense.

I can see Brown becoming an offensive force that is similar to Kobe and Jordan. Call me crazy I guess?

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 09:46:58 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Jayson has definitely tightened up his game in the last several weeks. His shooting percentage is creeping up, he looking for his teammates more on offense too.

Right now the best thing about Tatum is that he can get a good shot about anytime he wishes and he's unafraid to take them. When he balances his attempts going to the rim with that growing in reliability step back, he becomes a very dangerous player.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I love Tatum's game and am very impressed with him. There is something though about Brown that makes me think he has shades of Kobe and MJ! When I watch Brown play it just looks to me that in another year or two the guy may become unstoppable on offense. He has all of the tools and it's almost like the C's are somewhat limiting him on purpose although not in a bad sense.

I can see Brown becoming an offensive force that is similar to Kobe and Jordan. Call me crazy I guess?
TP, that definitely crossed my mind. The way he's hitting his midrange shots lately and his turnarounds in the paint for some time now lis very Kobe-like. He also wills his way to the basket and just bullies his defender sometimes. Encouraging to see

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 11:46:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think I mentioned it his rookie year but Tatum has that Randy Moss smoothness to him.  The way he moves is so effortless that you don't realize how insane of an athlete he really is.  It's deceiving. 

He's certainly on the path this season as his leap year.  It's awesome.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 12:53:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
ever since Kobe death

Tatum is playing extraordinary basketball

Tatum is locked in

poor guy though, the death must have hit him hard

When is the earliest Danny can lock him to max for his next contract?

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 01:03:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

TP, that definitely crossed my mind. The way he's hitting his midrange shots lately and his turnarounds in the paint for some time now lis very Kobe-like. He also wills his way to the basket and just bullies his defender sometimes. Encouraging to see
A lot of Brown's moves look like carbon copies of Kobe's.  I have been thinking the same thing all year.  Plus they have similar bodies and athleticism.  It's pretty awesome.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think I mentioned it his rookie year but Tatum has that Randy Moss smoothness to him.  The way he moves is so effortless that you don't realize how insane of an athlete he really is.  It's deceiving. 

He's certainly on the path this season as his leap year.  It's awesome.
Nice cross-sport reference, I definitely see that. He just sort of glides around.

Moss was obviously quicker than JT, but they have that same ease of movement
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Jayson Tatum thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2020, 10:28:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
merge all the JT discussion thread?

I'm amazed by his play during this 7 game winning streak.  It's not just the offense and the sharpshooting 3 point shots.  But his defense is outstanding.  That block on Noel tonight was exciting.  The other game he got a timely steal that lead to a fastbreak layup.  He is really busting his tail off at the D end

And his finishes around the basket is 1000 times better than it was just last month.  No more weird floaters or half azz spins off the backboard.  Its just so much more precise now

Tonight was one of his best games of the season.  He was able to stop the bleeding on multiple occasions and help keep the Celts in the game. A hallmark of a true superstar

26pts 11reb 1blk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn7ewF_guo8

post game interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXfdNLVxfIc

Re: Jayson Tatum thread
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He's been amazing these last 13 games. How long does he need to keep this up before he's in he conversation for an All-NBA team?

Giannis-Doncic-James-Leonard-George-Harden-Lillard-Davis-Jokic are probably all in. That leaves 6 open spots for Tatum, Mitchell, Beal, Young, Booker, Westbrook, Ingram, Siakim, Irving, and Butler.

He'd be in the conversation, right?

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2020, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's been amazing these last 13 games. How long does he need to keep this up before he's in he conversation for an All-NBA team?

Giannis-Doncic-James-Leonard-George-Harden-Lillard-Davis-Jokic are probably all in. That leaves 6 open spots for Tatum, Mitchell, Beal, Young, Booker, Westbrook, Ingram, Siakim, Irving, and Butler.

I think Siakam and Butler are likely locks, and Booker is well on his way to becoming one (should have been an All-Star for sure).

So far I've got:
First Team:
G: Harden
G: Doncic
F: Giannis
F: LeBron
C: Jokic

Second Team:
G: Lillard
G: Kemba
F: Kawhi
F: Davis
C: Embiid

Third Team:
G: Booker
G: Butler / Beal
F: Siakam
F: Butler / Tatum / Ingram
C: Adebayo

I think a lot depends on whether or not they classify Butler as a guard, or a forward. I think he's been a guard this year, which would give Tatum a red hot chance, but if he's a forward, maybe not.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
ever since Kobe death

Tatum is playing extraordinary basketball

Tatum is locked in

poor guy though, the death must have hit him hard

When is the earliest Danny can lock him to max for his next contract?

this summer

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 02:24:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I think Siakam and Butler are likely locks, and Booker is well on his way to becoming one (should have been an All-Star for sure).

So far I've got:
First Team:
G: Harden
G: Doncic
F: Giannis
F: LeBron
C: Jokic

Second Team:
G: Lillard
G: Kemba
F: Kawhi
F: Davis
C: Embiid

Third Team:
G: Booker
G: Butler / Beal
F: Siakam
F: Butler / Tatum / Ingram
C: Adebayo

I think a lot depends on whether or not they classify Butler as a guard, or a forward. I think he's been a guard this year, which would give Tatum a red hot chance, but if he's a forward, maybe not.
Interesting picks. I think Tatum is an All-NBA player if this hot streak becomes the new norm for him (~26 points per 75 on ~60% TS as well as notable improvement in actual offensive play on the court, eg. isolation scoring and passing) but I'm not really convinced by it yet, to me it's just him being in good form and thrust into a larger role.

My current picks for the All-NBA teams would be:
First Team
G: James Harden
G: Luka Doncic
F: LeBron James
F: Giannis Antetokounmpo
FC: Anthony Davis

Second Team
G: Damian Lillard
GF: Paul George
F: Kawhi Leonard
C: Nikola Jokic
C: Joel Embiid

Third Team
G: Kemba Walker
GF: Jimmy Butler/Khris Middleton
F: Pascal Siakam/Jayson Tatum
C: Karl-Anthony Towns
C: Rudy Gobert

I'm being a bit fluid with the positions (guard, wing, big) so there will be some weird-ish lineups, but these 17-18 guys are the players I would consider putting on the three All-NBA teams.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:33:11 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA