Author Topic: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker  (Read 28174 times)

Re: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He is playing well this year but you can tell that he does not want to pass to ball the Edwards if you watch the game.   It is like he pretends he is not there and is threatened by the guy.

That being said, I have never cared for guys who won't pass to an open team mates so they can look better and Brad is one of those guys.
I've seen nothing like this, he's been a pretty willing ball mover to everyone to my eyes. Looking at the data backs it up.

He's thrown the 3rd most passes to Carsen of any Celtic. Carsen also has played the third most minutes with him.

Passes to      Minutes Together   Passes Per Minute Together
Tatum       72                   118                              .61
Marcus     51                     93                               .54
Carsen     39                     89                               .43

Glancing at the all the passing numbers only player he appears to be freezing out is Grant Williams, (aka the 5th option)

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He is playing well this year but you can tell that he does not want to pass to ball the Edwards if you watch the game.   It is like he pretends he is not there and is threatened by the guy.

That being said, I have never cared for guys who won't pass to an open team mates so they can look better and Brad is one of those guys.

Waters and Edwards and Romeo are roadblock to his meal ticket .
The thirst for drama is so real now that Kyrie isn't in our lives.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Although there have been some careless turnovers, I must say I really like the way he plays - within himself. He can take it strong to the rim and actually hit a layup due to his strength (unlike previous years' backup PG ahem) and has a nice floater. His shooting splits this season are also really good (52, 36, 92). Like others have said, he's a calming presence, unlike Rozier.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So the original complaint about Wanamaker seems to be more about style than substance.  I guess he’s not cool enough or doesn’t have that tantalizing potential many people seem to like.

Wanamaker is doing fine for what he is.  I have no issues with him.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

Kind of interesting you think that. I was reading an article about Wanamaker on Celtics Blog, and Edwards was talking about how much Wanamaker has been helping him.

As for Wanamaker, I have to admit, I'm coming around. I agree with the posters who say he needs to cut down on careless turnovers, but I think he's been really solid otherwise. I used to cringe when he came into the game, but his game is growing on me. He's not a star by any means, but plays good D, passes the ball, and his shooting has been pretty good. Make a few big shots in the forth quarter last game when the Celtics were sliding a bit. For a third or forth guard, you could do a lot worse.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I'm surprised at the comments here. Wanamaker has been excellent this year, and is one of the reasons why we've been so consistently good.

We do have a very interesting player behind him in Waters, but sorry, I'm a big fan.

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The question is, are we supposed to be?

He fits fairly well on the role he's been given, and is cheap. Little to complain about. Plus he's been highly efficient this year shooting the ball.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Brad's minutes are up now - with Gordon out, Marcus's minutes are needed elsewhere.  When Gordon comes back, like him or not, Brad's (and others) minutes will decrease.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 10:53:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's pretty frustrating to watch at times (at least to me) but he's been very serviceable as a backup PG and I see him as a bit of a placeholder until the kids figure it out.  Brad seems pretty high on him right now and he's obviously seeing a lot more of Wanamaker via practice & the such.

He played exceptionally well in the Suns game, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Brad's minutes are up now - with Gordon out, Marcus's minutes are needed elsewhere.  When Gordon comes back, like him or not, Brad's (and others) minutes will decrease.
this sounds like a good use of a team's third string PG. wanamaker is exactly that for the celtics. his job is fill in when injuries mount up and don't screw things up.

wanamaker is doing exactly that so far. i think he is a pretty good third string PG. and if he does well with the celtics he will get a decent contract, maybe, as the backup PG on another team in the future.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Comparing Brad to last year’s version of Rozier I don’t mind Brad at all. He doesn’t have the talent of Rozier, but he seems to run the offense better and more stable as a backup in limited minutes. 

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I apologise ahead of time .I just don't get it .He seems to play too ridged and doesn't have real change of pace or burst .In several recent games some really poor passes and didn't handle backcourt  pressure well .Also got blocked at rim on several breakaways.
He is not very flexible.
Can we get Chris Dunn from Chicago I prefer more length and fluidity.
Just can't warm up to Wanamaker as 2nd team point guard

dude he is getting paid a min contract and producing like a guy making 5 million per season

I don't get the complaint

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
He's fine for this year, but I think he could be surpassed as early as next year by some of the young guys.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
I have always seen him as a solid if unspectacular backup PG.  Not going to win you a game and not going to lose you a game.  He has good size, handles the ball well enough, plays good defense, makes open 3s and doesn't cost much money.  I have no complaints.

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 11:49:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Wanamaker having another nice game tonight.  Not everyone can be a future star.  He plays within himself and is effective.