Author Topic: Pacers (15-16) at Celtics (22-9) Game #32 12/21/22  (Read 12300 times)

Re: Pacers (15-16) at Celtics (22-9) Game #32 12/21/22
« Reply #285 on: December 21, 2022, 10:45:23 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
You guys think it’s time to go back to the TL-Big Al-JT-JB-Smart starting line up? If we start cold then at least we could have a potentially disruptive defense to keep the other team from scoring in bunches.
I think that's where we are heading but it will take some more time to work Timelord up to speed before starting him.

Hopefully that comes sooner rather than later. His playing time bumped up to 22 mins today, after seeing 18 in his first 2 games back. Would love to see him get 25 in the Minny game.

« Reply #286 on: December 21, 2022, 10:56:16 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
You guys think it’s time to go back to the TL-Big Al-JT-JB-Smart starting line up? If we start cold then at least we could have a potentially disruptive defense to keep the other team from scoring in bunches.
Yes!
Bring back the double big lineup. Joe went to it a bit in the 4th.

« Reply #287 on: December 21, 2022, 11:12:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Yes!

Well, Minny on Friday is the perfect time to break it out.

Secondary benefit - gets White out of the starting lineup and limits his playing time.

« Reply #288 on: December 21, 2022, 11:20:39 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Play one half and almost win. This team is frustrating

Definitely a tale of two halves.

Code: [Select]
1st Half 2nd Half
Points 43 69
FG 16-47 23-54
FG% 34% 43%
3FG 3-15 10-26
3FG% 20% 39%
Rebs 29 33
Assists 8 18
Stls 1 10
Turnovers 11 5

Which suggests to me that it's an attitude thing, they came out with no sense of urgency and fell behind by 28 at halftime, woke up and mounted a furious comeback but fell short. All they had to do was really maintain that same effort for both halves and they probably win this pretty easily. Tatum did his best to carry us there but he was undone by some poor decisionmaking by his teammates in the clutch.

I get that it's hard to maintain your motivation and drive through an 82 game season, but that's why they get paid the big bucks. I would never write this team off after what they did last season, and at 22-10 they're still a lot better than 15-17 last season. But you don't want to start to develop bad habits that will prove hard to overcome.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #289 on: December 21, 2022, 11:21:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yes!

Secondary benefit - gets White out of the starting lineup and limits his playing time.

Yes, I haven't looked at the data for any correlation but I feel that White's cooling off has coincided with our drop in form. Not to say that it's all his fault but he hasn't helped.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2022, 11:24:29 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Yes!

although i don't think will have towns.... or even gobert playing ....edit...gobert playing
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 11:41:03 PM by MattyIce »

« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2022, 01:04:04 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Yes, if they will decide to start working at defense again.

You can put Bill Russell, KC, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman and Kevin Garnett out there
but if they are not committed to hard work, they won't stop anybody.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2022, 01:14:06 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Just watched the game on delay...All of the Idiotic, Bonehead plays by Jaylen Brown ended up costing us this game...man he makes some stupid plays/turnovers all game long....Inexcusable TWO messed up inbounds plays being the most glaring.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2022, 05:43:22 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Lost 3 straight homes games to Orlando twice & Indy..unacceptable..haven’t won since TimeLord came back hmmmm
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #294 on: December 22, 2022, 08:50:28 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Just watched the game on delay...All of the Idiotic, Bonehead plays by Jaylen Brown ended up costing us this game...man he makes some stupid plays/turnovers all game long....Inexcusable TWO messed up inbounds plays being the most glaring.

Yea it seemed like Jaylens head was elsewhere last night. It was a rough game for him for sure.

« Reply #295 on: December 22, 2022, 09:17:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yea it seemed like Jaylens head was elsewhere last night. It was a rough game for him for sure.
it wasn't just Jaylen last night but yeah, he made several really inexcusably stupid plays

« Reply #296 on: December 22, 2022, 09:27:31 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Bruh I’m at the game and whole crowd is dumbfounded. How on earth are they hitting all these 3s???  :o

Couldn’t help yourself and you had to post  :P

Sorry this is the game you went to. Hopefully it gets better.

It did get better for sure. Big 2nd half and the crowd was going bonkers throughout it.

But at the end of the day, when you fall behind by like 30+ in the first half it's hard for any team to come back. I think Tatum really tried, and so did the likes of Timelord and Brogdon. However, White continues to shoot poorly and Jaylen made a ton of boneheaded decisions on both ends of the court yesterday, and was missing some easy shots especially during stretches where it felt we finally gained real momentum

Also didn't help Haliburton, and some dudes named Nembhard and Duarte (??) were playing like Steph Curry last night. When Nesmith was making plays and shots the crowd was like "what?? where was this here" lol

Still had fun! The guy next to me was a bit drunk and was getting very excited for every C's basket even when they were still down 20+  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
They missed sooooo many shots close to the hoop.  Especially White and Brown.  Really maddening.  And every single long rebound went to Indy.  Some of this stuff is just effort and focus. 
Yup

« Reply #298 on: December 22, 2022, 05:26:17 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
  • B's Up
Im starting to get a little concerned with a few of our guys here lately. Jaylen is NOT looking like a superstar whatsoever. Careless turnovers, terrible ball handling, lazy defense, and now hes missing bunnies and mid range shots. There was one play last night where he just completely ignored his man in the corner and basically just stood in no mans land and watched as the guy backdoor cut and scored a wide open bucket. He threw an inbounds pass to Tatum who wasnt looking and he threw it way too far ahead of him and it was stolen and put up for an easy layup. And JB has the nerve to say "Jay Teeeee, come on Jay" (you could hear it on the broadcast). Im just not liking his energy lately.

Another is Grant Williams. He's been more trouble than anything lately. He's been getting into it with refs and picking up techs, he's played matador defense, and his only real offensive weapon (his corner 3) is just not dropping like it was the first 20 games. For a guy who bet on himself this offseason and is in a contract year, hes not really improving his status to me. I dont wanna pay this dude 15+ mil a year to stand in a corner and hit the occasional 3.

Lastly we have Derrick White. The 1st 20 games of the year he was so solid. As Gorman said during the games you could basically pencil him in for 13-15 points a night with solid defense and 4-6 assists. Now I have no clue where this guy went he's just fallen off a cliff. Since the Nets game (where our struggles first started showing imo) hes avg 5.6 pts on 24% shooting and 18% from 3 and hes had over 3 assists only 3 times in that span (9 games). Those are some brutal numbers. His defense has also been horrendous too, I saw TJ freaking McConnell torch him for a layup last night. I feel like he was a big part of our success early this year. Coach Joe needs to get him some plays early in games to try and get him going. He should be running the high PnR with Al with Tatum and Brown in the corners and just try to work that more often imo.

And the defense as a whole has been alarming to say the least. These guys have been looking LAZY lately. No ball pressure and we are so late on rotations sometimes. With Rob back these guys should be attacking the ball handler like pitbulls knowing that if they happen to get beat we have TL to clean up the mess. But instead they are playing off and letting ball handlers get to wherever they want and relying on switching too much. So many good defenders on the team and it just feels like theyre not trying as hard. Did the early success this season go to their heads? Are they bored already? I dont know what to make of the past 2 weeks lol
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #299 on: December 22, 2022, 06:43:21 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Jaylen's D this year has really been bad.  used to be a good on the ball defender at least and even that hasn't been good.  really bad tonight

Yeah, it's awful. There was a Celticsblog article the other day highlighting this issue. His off-ball D has always been questionable to bad, but even his on-ball D is poor this year. Brown getting smoked by multiple Indy players tonight on individual D exemplifies that - even dang Nesmith.

Brown his on- and off-ball gas been atrocious and he's committing almost as many turnovers as he has assists, but we can't question his status as an all star player. Don't understand.