Author Topic: Celtics (20-5) at Suns (16-8) Game #26 12/7/22  (Read 13571 times)

Celtics (20-5) at Suns (16-8) Game #26 12/7/22
« on: December 06, 2022, 10:26:32 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11849
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (20-5) at Phoenix Suns (16-8)
Wednesday, December 7, 2022
10:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #26, Road Game #13
TV: ESPN, NBCSB, BSAZ
Radio: WROR, KMVP/KSUN
Footprint Center

Probable Starters
Point Guard:Marcus Smart ---------------- Shooting Guard: Derrick White

Center: Al Horford

Small Forward:  Jaylen Brown ------------------ Power Forward: Jayson Tatum

Celtics Reserves
Malcolm Brogdon
Grant Williams
Sam Hauser
Payton Pritchard
Luke Kornet
Blake Griffin
Justin Jackson
Noah Vonleh

2 Way Players
JD Davison
Mfiondu Kabengele

Out/Injuries
Danilo Gallinari  (ACL)  out
Robert Williams III (knee) out
Malcolm Brogdon (illness) probable

Head Coach (Interim)
Joe Mazzulla

Probable Starters
Point Guard: Cameron Payne .............................. Shooting Guard:  Devin Booker

Center: Deandre Ayton

Small Forward: Mikal Bridges ......................Power Forward:  Ish Wainright

Suns Reserves
Bismack Biyombo
Jock Landale
Damion Lee
Josh Okogie
Dario Saric
Landry Shamet

2 Way Players
Ish Wainright
Duane Washington, Jr

Out/Injuries
Torrey Craig (groin)  questionable
Jae Crowder (not injury related)  out
Cameron Johnson (knee) out
Chris Paul (heel) questionable
Duane Washington, Jr.  (hip) out

Head Coach

Monty Williams

Game Notes
The Celtics continue their road trip as they take on the Suns in Phoenix.  This is the 3rd game of the 6 game road trip.  The Celtics are 2-0 so far on the trip.  This is the first of 2 games between these two teams with the second game in Boston on February 3.  The Suns and Celtics split the series 1-1 last season with each team winning on their home court. 

The Celtics are first in the East, 2 games ahead of the 2nd place Milwaukee Bucks.  They are 9-3 on the road and 8-2 in their last 10 games.  They have won their last 2 games.  They are 6-0 against Western Conference teams.  The Suns are first in the West, half a game ahead of New Orleans and 2 game ahead of Memphis.  They are 12-2 at home and 7-3 in their last 10 games.  They are 3-3 against Eastern Conference teams. 

The Suns are playing in a single home game sandwiched in between a 2 game road trip and a 4 game road trip.  They are coming off a 130-111 loss to the Mavs on Monday.  The Suns are 35-10 in games following a loss, which is the best record in games following a loss of any team.  The Celtics have lost their last 2 games in Phoenix.  The Celtics are 74-59 overall all time against the Suns and they are 30-36 all time in games played in Phoenix.

Malcolm Brogdon missed Monday's game with a non-covid illness.  He is listed as probable for this game and is expected to play.  His final status will be a game time decision.  Marcus Smart missed Sunday's game with a hip contusion but played on Monday and is expected to play in this game.  Robert Williams III (knee) has practiced 5 on 5 but is still listed as out but is expected to return soon. Danilo Gallinari remains out with the ACL tear. 

Chris Paul has missed the last 10 games for the Suns with a heel injury.   He looked good in the Suns' Tuesday practice and so there is a good chance that he may return to the court for this game.   He is officially listed as questionable and will be a game time decision.  Torrey Craig is also listed as questionable with a groin injury.  He will be a game time decision and if he returns, Ish Wainright will likely return to the bench and Craig will get the start. 

Although not injured, Jae Crowder has not played for the Suns this season.  He demanded a trade in training camp and, as yet,  the Suns haven't found a trade that they like for the former Celtic.  Crowder remains away from the team and not playing.  Cameron Johnson is out for 1 to 2 months with a torn meniscus.  2 Way player Duane Washington, Jr is out with a hip injury. 

Key Matchups
vs
Derrick White vs Devin Booker
Booker is playing very well this season.  He is averaging 29.1 points, 5.0 rebounds,  6.0 assists and 1.0 steals.   He is shooting 48.8% from the field and 39% from beyond the arc.  Between 11/28 and 12/2, he scored over 40 points in 3 straight games while shooting 66.7% from the field.  He is averaging 27.6% from the field against the Celtics over his career.  He scored 70 points in a game back in 2017.  Needless to say,  the Celtics need to defend him well to keep him from taking over the game. 

vs
Jaylen Brown vs Mikal Bridges
Bridges is averaging 16.0 points, 5.3 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.0 blocks per game.  He is shooting 51.6% from the field and 44.7% from beyond the arc.  He has played in every game of his career thus far and  he currently holds the NBA's longest active Ironman streak with 333 consecutive games played.  He is also a first team all defense player and will make things difficult for Jaylen on the offensive end. 

Honorable Mention
Al Horford vs DeAndre Ayton
Ayton is averaging 17.1 points, 9.7 rebounds, and 2.1 assists per game.  He is shooting 62.2% from the field and 30.8% from beyond the arc.   Ayton has improved quite a bit shooting threes and so the Celtics have to stay with him on the perimeter. They also need to keep Ayton out of the paint and off the boards. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always a key to winning.  The Celtics have a defensive rating of 111.5 (15th) but have picked up their defense in the past couple of games.   Hopefully they continue that trend in this game because the Suns are a good shooting team and the Celtics will need to up their defense if they want to beat the Suns at home.  The Suns are 6th with an offensive rating of 110.2 and so the Celtics must make defense a priority if they want to win this game.   

Rebound - The Celtics need to rebound on the offensive end to give themselves extra possessions and to prevent the Suns from racking up fast break points.  They also have to crash the boards on the defensive end to prevent the Suns from getting tip ins and second chance points as the Suns are 10th with 14.6 second chance points per game.  The Celtics are going to have to put out extra effort to win the battle of the boards in this one. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics need to move the ball but they also need to make careful passes and they need to be focused when they dribble and not turn the ball over.   The Celtics can't be careless against a Suns team that averages 19.4 points off turnovers per game.  The Celtics must take care of the ball because the Suns are very good at making teams pay if they turn the ball over.

Play Hard 48 Minutes -  The Celtics seem to have lapses where they let up on their effort and where they lose focus for awhile.  Against the Raptors, the Celtics allowed the Raptors to play harder in the first half and they turned up their effort in the second half.  They can't afford to let the Suns play harder than them for any period of time.  They must come out ready to play right from the opening tip and they have to play hard and stay focused through all 4 quarters right up until the final buzzer. 

X-Factors
Road Fatigue - The Celtics are playing in the third game of a 6 game road trip.  They have had a lot of travel and had to sleep in hotels and play in hostile arenas.  This is their 3rd game in 4 nights and it would be understandable if their legs are tired and they are somewhat road weary.  They have also changed time zones and may have a bit of jet lag.  Can they find another gear and get a win in one of the toughest games of their trip? 

Officiating - I know that I say this every game,  but the officiating always has the possibility to be an x-factor in every game.  Every crew calls the game differently, whether they call every little ticky tack foul or they let a lot of contact go and let the teams play.  Some refs favor the home team and some call for both teams evenly.  The Celtics have got to adjust to the way the game is being called and not allow the officiating to take away from their focus.  They did a good job of not allowing bad officiating in the Raptors game to take them out of the game and they need to continue to stay focused on the game and not on the officials.

Re: Celtics (20-5) at Suns (16-8) Game #26 12/7/22
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 10:28:31 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
I made the mistake of visiting family in Phoenix last week.  It wasn't until after I booked my tickets that I thought to look at the C's schedule, and realized if I scheduled my trip 1 week later I'd be in town for the C's game.  I should have been in the building for this one if not for poor planning on my part! Argh!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 12:33:31 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 10:28:45 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11849
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  bdm860  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Suns!!!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1827
Let's go Cs and beat the best in the West,
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 10:52:19 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Potential NBA Finals matchup. Let's get the DUB

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 11:03:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for another great thread FL.   got to keep the streak going

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 11:09:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Hope the guys are hyped to prove they can beat anybody. This game and the next one against GSW would be really sweet to get.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 01:21:08 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Hope the guys are hyped to prove they can beat anybody. This game and the next one against GSW would be really sweet to get.

And the Lakers game at the end of the road trip!

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 07:54:07 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

That one concerns me the most.  Last game of a long road trip.  Second night of a back to back.  Not to mention I hate seeing the lakers win against anyone let alone losing to them.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 08:26:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 416
Shut Booker down, easy win
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 08:53:39 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 990

My hope was to go at least 4-2 on this road trip.  Winning this game would just about clinch that result.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1827

My hope was to go at least 4-2 on this road trip.  Winning this game would just about clinch that result.

My hope is to win them all...
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 09:31:26 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 990

That'd be consistent with my hope.  But it's shaping up to be a terrific year, so I try not to make every game a must-win for me emotionally.  I'll save that for the postseason.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 09:55:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

That'd be consistent with my hope.  But it's shaping up to be a terrific year, so I try not to make every game a must-win for me emotionally.  I'll save that for the postseason.
it may take an emotional toll but it's worth it.  win them all.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 10:39:52 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2541

That one concerns me the most.  Last game of a long road trip.  Second night of a back to back.  Not to mention I hate seeing the lakers win against anyone let alone losing to them.

On the other hand, ending the road trip with a game that sparks emotion may avoid a "trap" situation - a let-down at the end of a long trip. If the C's can get up for any team at the end of a road trip, it should be the Lakers.