Author Topic: Missing Ingredient: Walt McCarty  (Read 2037 times)

Missing Ingredient: Walt McCarty
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
like many of you, i have wrestled with the enigma of a team we’re witnessing this year, and how far their performance has fallen from expectations. much has been written about team chemistry, maturity, drive, as well as specific player’s performance, brad’s decision making, and danny’s personnel moves.

as i continued to think about the season thus far & why the team is in such disarray, i thought about what has changed. obviously, much has already been contemplated regarding kyrie’s return from injury, hayward’s struggles, al’s age, the lack of a true five, etc. consequently, i moved past these exhausted topics and kept digging. then it hit me, an unsung change to the team vs. the past few years was the loss of walt mccarty.

a few things to consider: walt was the only guy on the coaching staff with nba experience, which offered him a unique vantage point from which he could relate to the players vs. the remaining staff. i’ve also read that mccarty’s role was disciplinarian, the guy who kept them in line, bought in, focused, and drama-free. his nba experience would position him as the one coach with the locker room credibility to deal with these type of internal issues, especially the type the team is currently dealing with (roles, egos, playing time, effort, youth vs. veteran, etc.).

walt was uniquely positioned to compliment brad’s non-emotional, very cerebral approach and connect to the players on a different and very needed level. in my opinion, this is a critical gap on this year’s team and brad needs to add another coach like walt who can relate to today’s players and call them out, hold them accountable when appropriate.

Re: Missing Ingredient: Walt McCarty
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is an inspired reach.  TP.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:32:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
when did Walt leave?

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:34:04 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton

thanks for the backhanded compliment.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »

Offline GregKitesMom

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4

Not a reach.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:41:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

It's a fair point.  Waltah was well-liked and respected.  I just think the team's problems go well beyond an assistant coach.  The core issue is that we're no longer overachieving like last season.  Some of the talent is a bad mix.  At present, only 1 player on the whole team is playing on a star level - and typically teams with a single star hover around 40-50 wins, right? 

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 10:44:56 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
found this nugget from an interview with walt. his self-admitted playing style & role on his teams, which was admired by tommy, seem to describe a guy who is the antithesis of what the team is currently demonstrating. in other words, i don’t think walt would allow the ridiculous drama, me-first mentality from some players, & lack of team-first consistent hustle/effort currently on display. in a word: accountability.

———————

Tommy Heinsohn loved you more than anybody has ever loved anybody. I’m sorry, let me be more specific. My editor Nate Scott told me it was the greatest love story of his youth. I’m talking, “I LOVE WALTAH!” What was that whole dynamic like for you?

WM: [laughs] It was great. I think the way I played reminded Tommy of how his teammates played and what he was used to. I was a guy at that point that sacrificed a lot, didn’t really care about scoring, just did whatever I needed to do to help my team to have a better chance of winning. I just think trying to get extra possessions, bring energy, offensive rebounds, playing against the toughest guys and guarding them each and every night. I think he understood what my job was and how hard it is to do that night in and night out, and always put your team first. He appreciated that and I think that was his way of letting people know, “Hey, this kid can play, but he’s doing everything for this team to make this team better.” A lot of players aren’t able to that and I think he appreciated, he noticed it, and it took off from there.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton

It's a fair point.  Waltah was well-liked and respected.  I just think the team's problems go well beyond an assistant coach.  The core issue is that we're no longer overachieving like last season.  Some of the talent is a bad mix.  At present, only 1 player on the whole team is playing on a star level - and typically teams with a single star hover around 40-50 wins, right?

you make good points and i think we’re in agreement. i don’t think the loss of walt is the only (or primary) reason, but as i entitled the thread, a missing ingredient. there are several issues plaguing this team but i thought i’d highlight one that wasn’t getting any airtime.

furthermore, i honestly think walt’s presence this year could have alleviated some of the other issues via his credibility and leadership. i stand by my comment that brad needs to find a replacement for the gap walt’s departure created.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 12:54:20 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I miss Waltah
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:35:38 AM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 05:11:55 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
just a quick bump to congratulate walter & his evansville purple aces for their huge upset over #1 kentucky the other night!

and to possibly eat a little crow for my ‘inspired reach’ (i like it deep fried with a side of horseradish, thanks very much).  ;)

loved how his first words to the team were about trusting each other!

https://mobile.twitter.com/harrylylesjr/status/1194438990025428992