Author Topic: So apparently June 13th (week before draft) is when we can make Davis offer  (Read 4337 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wasn't aware of this.  If I wasn't aware, there's probably others here who weren't aware as well.

Technically, Kyrie has a player option on his contract for the 2019-20 season that would pay him 21.3mil.  Obviously, he's going to opt out of that and become a free agent. 

The deadline for him to opt out of that final year is June 13th.  I guess it's standard for players to wait until the last minute just in case they have a catastrophic injury bicycle accident or something...  so expect Kyrie to opt out on June 13th.

Once he opts out, the Rose Rule no longer applies and Boston is free to make their Anthony Davis trade offer.   Since this is about a week before the draft, that means we can make our offer (Smart + Jaylen + Jayson + #14 + #20, #22 + future Memphis pick) for Davis prior to the draft.  That gives the Pelicans an opportunity to use those picks and fill out the rest of their roster around Tatum and Zion.

For some reason, I had been under the impression that we wouldn't be able to trade for Davis until after the draft - which was complicated, because it would mean having to draft players with those picks and then selling the Pelicans on our draftees.  But turns out - they can have a full week to figure out what they want to do with the picks.

Granted, Ainge probably doesn't do that unless he gets assurance from Kyrie that such a deal would get him to stick around.  But who knows... Ainge might just do it anyways and figure out the rest from there. 

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wasn't aware of this.  If I wasn't aware, there's probably others here who weren't aware as well.

Technically, Kyrie has a player option on his contract for the 2019-20 season that would pay him 21.3mil.  Obviously, he's going to opt out of that and become a free agent. 

The deadline for him to opt out of that final year is June 13th.  I guess it's standard for players to wait until the last minute just in case they have a catastrophic injury bicycle accident or something...  so expect Kyrie to opt out on June 13th.

Once he opts out, the Rose Rule no longer applies and Boston is free to make their Anthony Davis trade offer.   Since this is about a week before the draft, that means we can make our offer (Smart + Jaylen + Jayson + #14 + #20, #22 + future Memphis pick) for Davis prior to the draft.  That gives the Pelicans an opportunity to use those picks and fill out the rest of their roster around Tatum and Zion.

For some reason, I had been under the impression that we wouldn't be able to trade for Davis until after the draft - which was complicated, because it would mean having to draft players with those picks and then selling the Pelicans on our draftees.  But turns out - they can have a full week to figure out what they want to do with the picks.

Granted, Ainge probably doesn't do that unless he gets assurance from Kyrie that such a deal would get him to stick around.  But who knows... Ainge might just do it anyways and figure out the rest from there.
thanks for the info

Making the picks for The pels obviously reduces their value so wonder how hard ainge will Push for a trade deadline the draft

Ainge will not wait for an assurance from kyrie.

"Danny Ainge still wants the Boston Celtics to re-sign Kyrie Irving and he believes he will be successful in doing so if they trade for Anthony Davis.

Irving is also expected to consider the New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Lakers."

https://theathletic.com/978355/2019/05/14/the-knicks-master-plan-came-and-went-with-the-nba-draft-lottery-so-whats-next/

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Davis still wants to be traded, even though Pels won Lottery....that's good--Pels can go real young with Tatum/Brown/Smart:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253784/Anthony-Davis-Still-Seeks-Trade-Despite-Pelicans-Winning-Lottery
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Davis still wants to be traded, even though Pels won Lottery....that's good--Pels can go real young with Tatum/Brown/Smart:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253784/Anthony-Davis-Still-Seeks-Trade-Despite-Pelicans-Winning-Lottery

Small ball of Holiday, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Zion

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That team would be awesome on 2K
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Excellent. Another fun team to watch.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Danny is not offering all 3 of brown smart tatum and picks.

No one in the history of the nba has ever been traded for close to that much.

Leonard was traded for a 1/3 of that package and is a better player

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We can make an offer for Davis whenever we want - the trade just couldn't officially go through until at least June 13th. Similar to how the KG/Pierce trade was agreed to on draft night, but didn't become official until after the July moratorium (since Keith Bogans was sign-and-traded as part of the deal

I still anticipate that any AD deal will be agreed to in principle before the draft, but become official 30+ days after (so we can use draft pick salaries for matching instead of Smart)
I'm bitter.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There will be no Davis trade now they have Zion, Davis may back off the trade demand.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
There will be no Davis trade now they have Zion, Davis may back off the trade demand.

I dont think that is true at all. In fact the opposite.

Zion will take the media off of him leaving as everything there will now be about williamson

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think only the opposite has been reported

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Danny is not offering all 3 of brown smart tatum and picks.

No one in the history of the nba has ever been traded for close to that much.

Leonard was traded for a 1/3 of that package and is a better player

Yep no way it’s both Brown and Tatum.  I hope somehow a S&T of Rozier is involved too, and we keep Smart. Lol That future Grizzlies pick holds a lot of weight IMO so Tatum and the Grizzlies pick could be viewed as having the most value for the first 2 pieces than any other team could offer.

Tatum and future Grizzlies pick
Knicks 3rd pick (Barrett or Morant) and I think a big drop off after that Smith JR, Knox, Mavs pick?
Lakers 4th pick (drop off after 3 probably someone like Reddish), and Ball (not sure the Pelicans would even want him), Ingram has potential career threatening health issue, Kuzma is already almost 25.

I’d love to keep the Grizzlies pick, but I’d rather keep Brown.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LA may have a better offer than us with that number 4 pick now, so I still think we face long odds to get Davis.

Yes, I saw that but I wonder if that has set in on him.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I hope we can land Davis. I think Kyrie will definitely come back if we land Davis and also declog our wing position. You can’t win with a bunch of young guys, unless you’re Tim Duncan.

Kyrie-Brown (or Smart)-Hayward-Horford-Davis is a veteran team in its prime. None of this “gotta prove myself” Rozier-esque BS
- LilRip

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
LA may have a better offer than us with that number 4 pick now, so I still think we face long odds to get Davis.

Yes, I saw that but I wonder if that has set in on him.
Maybe, but I think he burned his bridges far too much. Plus I can't imagine Zion making that much of a difference, except maybe more fans will go