Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 232764 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #2445 on: May 26, 2019, 01:55:31 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So how much of this falls on Bud?  Why can't he make adjustments in a series?

With the Hawks the answer to "Why do Bud's teams perform so much better in the regular season than in the playoffs" was either "He doesn't have the talent," or "He doesn't have an answer for LeBron."

What's the answer now?

He's just not a good coach. Toronto exploited the Bucks' half-court offense over and over.

I guess that made Brad Stevens worse. He couldn't adjust to the simple set of Bud's schemes. I also remember losing against him back in 2016.

I thought Boston had a chance in that series in 2016. Even if it was an IT4, Evan Turner, and Avery Bradley-led Celtics team. Tied it back 2-2. They almost stole one in Atlanta in Game 1 IIRC.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2446 on: May 26, 2019, 01:56:36 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Just goes to show you how close Philly came to making they Finals. Had embiid been healthy they probably would have did it.  That would have sucked.

Eh I disagree. It doesn't work that way. Had Embiid been healthy the Bucks wouldve been in the finals days ago.
kinda like how last year the Raptors would have smoked us had we matched up with them in the playoffs.

But nonetheless we are fortunate the sixers weren’t healthy otherwise they’d be in the finals right now.  They were by far the most talented team in the East.

Great job man

« Reply #2447 on: May 26, 2019, 02:27:43 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Here's a thought:

Jayson Tatum with Giannis' work ethic.
Tall Kobe?

That's selling him short, I think.

He'd best player in the world, hands down. Giannis came into the league from a basically unknown league without any hype and seeing the work he's put in... if you can't appreciate that, you're just not a fan of basketball.
It's too early to say, but I'm not sure Tatum has that kind of fire or drive in him. The only push-back I've seen from his is complaining to officials. He got impromptu benched a few times this season, and he came out basically the same way as before.

I have my doubts too, which is why it bums me out. The talent base is there, but he seems especially taken with his own hype.
Yeah, his rookie season was terrific. He held the ball less, he made quicker decisions, he attacked close outs, he avoided pull-up 2s, he took open threes. He was one of the worst mid-range shooters in the NBA this season. One of the worst pull-up shooters in the NBA. One of the worst isolation players in the NBA. All things he absolutely could avoid.

Not to pile on him, because I still think Tatum will be a star, but his ceiling is capped as long as he never maximizes his shot selection and decision making. Ironically, Brown is much better at taking smart shots than Tatum.

Tatum had more points, rebounds, asts per game this year than last year. He had a better free throw percentage, FG 48% last and 49% this year 3 point shooting was down from 43% to 37% but other than that, I can't find this big statistical down turn from Tatum and he just turned 21.

He didn't take a step forward. He didn't add anything to his game. His ball handling is still mediocre. His defense is still hit or miss. His court vision is still disappointing.

A lack of distinctive regression doesn't equal progression.

Progress is progress, even if it is by small increments. If he adds by the same amount next year he'll be 22 years old and 1.2 steals, 7 rbs, .7 blks, 3 assists 88% free-throw and 18 points a game.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:39:50 AM by liam »

« Reply #2448 on: May 26, 2019, 05:34:36 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The biggest bummer of us not trying to trade for Kawhi is that his total lack of personality is perfect for Boston fans.  Celtic fans want their star players to shut up and dribble and that's exactly what Kawhi does.

« Reply #2449 on: May 26, 2019, 06:03:50 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The biggest bummer of us not trying to trade for Kawhi is that his total lack of personality is perfect for Boston fans.  Celtic fans want their star players to shut up and dribble and that's exactly what Kawhi does.

Danny should have been patient for one more year instead of rushing a trade for Kyrie.

« Reply #2450 on: May 26, 2019, 06:10:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
That's why we loved guys like KG, Ortiz, and Gronk.  Got it.  Great point.

« Reply #2451 on: May 26, 2019, 06:36:13 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I was also just running through all of the strong personalities Boston fans have embraced.  Celtics have had numerous, popular personality-rich and outspoken players from Russell to Bird to KG to Antoine to IT to Marcus Smart...  C’s fans would love Kawhi but that would have nothing to do with a lack of personality. Strange take.

« Reply #2452 on: May 26, 2019, 06:39:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm just sayin... fans hate Kyrie, because he is transparent and answers questions.  In 2019, Kawhi is the right kind of famous for Celtic fans... a basketball player who doesn't talk, shows little emotion, and doesn't make movies.

« Reply #2453 on: May 26, 2019, 07:09:41 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm just sayin... fans hate Kyrie, because he is transparent and answers questions.  In 2019, Kawhi is the right kind of famous for Celtic fans... a basketball player who doesn't talk, shows little emotion, and doesn't make movies.
Kyrie isn't the only Boston/New England superstar.  He's just the one you've been obsessing about for months.  You turned a Kawhi post into another Irving discussion.

« Reply #2454 on: May 26, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So how much of this falls on Bud?  Why can't he make adjustments in a series?

With the Hawks the answer to "Why do Bud's teams perform so much better in the regular season than in the playoffs" was either "He doesn't have the talent," or "He doesn't have an answer for LeBron."

What's the answer now?

He's just not a good coach. Toronto exploited the Bucks' half-court offense over and over.

I guess that made Brad Stevens worse. He couldn't adjust to the simple set of Bud's schemes. I also remember losing against him back in 2016.

I thought Boston had a chance in that series in 2016. Even if it was an IT4, Evan Turner, and Avery Bradley-led Celtics team. Tied it back 2-2. They almost stole one in Atlanta in Game 1 IIRC.

I still think we would have won if Bradley hadn't gotten injured in Game 1
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2455 on: May 26, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I said Toronto in 6 and i finally got one right!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2456 on: May 26, 2019, 07:52:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Kyrie isn't the only Boston/New England superstar.  He's just the one you've been obsessing about for months.  You turned a Kawhi post into another Irving discussion.
everyone has been obsessing over kyrie for months... and for good reason.  He’s the only upper tier player on a 49 win also-ran.  Makes sense for him to be the focus given how mediocre the rest of the squad is.

I’m just saying, a lot of fans seem to despise kyrie because he’s too big of a personality.  I imagine a robot-like kawhi would have upset them less. 

Of course, kawhi is a top 5 superstar while kyrie is a top 25 allstar so it would have been a lot easier to embrace the superior talent.  All the discussions about Boston being racist just made me realize that basically any modern nba star would upset twitter generation Celtic fans, because they don’t like guys who have bigger personalities than the team itself.  Kyrie is probably the most famous player the Celtics have had since Larry Bird.  NBA stars usually have big personalities.  Kawhi is a rare exception.  Fans here would find reasons to hate most other stars if they were the face of a non-contender.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:01:01 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2457 on: May 26, 2019, 10:34:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Definition of a true leader..

Other players who think they are leaders like Lebron can learn from Leonard

"I don't really judge my game like that," Leonard said when asked about Ujiri's comments. "I'm more of a team-aspect, see-what-my-team-is-doing [guy]. I just want to win. I don't care about being the best player. I want to be the best team. I've always said that.

« Reply #2458 on: May 26, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

"I don't really judge my game like that," Leonard said when asked about Ujiri's comments. "I'm more of a team-aspect, see-what-my-team-is-doing [guy]. I just want to win. I don't care about being the best player. I want to be the best team. I've always said that.

I've always loved Leonard. It was a bit weird HOW he went about trying to get out of San Antonio (that whole drama), but a healthy Leonard for me is easily Top-3 in the league, and so far he's looking like he's going to take the current torch from KD and even Lebron for good.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2459 on: May 26, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I've always loved Leonard. It was a bit weird HOW he went about trying to get out of San Antonio (that whole drama), but a healthy Leonard for me is easily Top-3 in the league, and so far he's looking like he's going to take the current torch from KD and even Lebron for good.

17 rebounds last night... career high

The guy is willing to do what it takes to win

If another player is having a good game, he "rides" this. When they need him to make the importanf buckets, he usually comes through

Very calm and no panic type player. Doesnt yell at his teammates.