Author Topic: Learning a new language  (Read 5465 times)

Re: Learning a new language
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Doesn't sound stupid at all, Drucci.  I totally admire anyone is multilingual.  I understood French when I was a small child, but never kept it up and lost it. (I found when I took French in college that it did NOT come right back.  Loved Latin, but that is not a spoken language.  I also love English.  I just think communicating well is the most special thing  one can do.  Hope I will be able to master Spanish enough to talk to a few friends, watch spanish tv stations, and understand music lyrics in Spanish.  I really don't expect much more than that.  I am not going to give speaches in Spanish or anything,  :D
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
pimsleur tapes/cd at your local library for free. Stick em in the car and learn while not using any free time to do so.

If you don't like pimsleur try the others. Possibly tape stuff onto blank tapes to review and go at your own pace.

I've listened to like 20 languages this way
Impressive diligence!

How many did you learn?

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
pimsleur tapes/cd at your local library for free. Stick em in the car and learn while not using any free time to do so.

If you don't like pimsleur try the others. Possibly tape stuff onto blank tapes to review and go at your own pace.

I've listened to like 20 languages this way
Impressive diligence!

How many did you learn?
I guess 2.3ish

Although I asked some Syrian women once how they were doing in Arabic and then they asked me if I were Muslim, and I responded in Arabic "No. I'm Catholic".

Things were English from that point on mostly. I had pretty much run out anyway.