Author Topic: PLease no more POlitical Posts!  (Read 11652 times)

PLease no more POlitical Posts!
« on: March 05, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »

Offline filmexec

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
I am getting sick of all the political opinions on this site. This is the Net and is full of political websites for me to vent my opinions. I read CBlog to inform me of my favorite Team for 50 years! That's right I have been a fan since the 50's. I have cheered for Bill Russell, Bob Cousey, Jo Jo White, Larry Bird, Paul Pierce and all iterations of the C's. But I am thinking about leaving CBlog because it's becoming a soapbox for people's political agenda? **** does that have to do with the Celtics?  Please clear it up and go back to covering the C's and stop wasting my time!

Re: PLease no more POlitical Posts!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Celticsblog has been a site that has, all but for a short time, always been a community that discusses just about anything, including politics. As a community, we get to talk about everything and, just about anything, we want.

My advice is if you don't like the political talk, don't visit those threads. If you feel you can't do that there is the option to limit your access and not be able to open Current Events threads. Send a PM to Roy H. He can take care of that for you.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Just get yourself banned from the Current Events forum and you won't even see the posts at all anymore.  :)

I find that my enjoyment of the site has improved considerably since I stopped reading, let alone attempting to participate in, the political conversations in the CE forum.  I think a person would be better off seeking entertainment in the act of aggressively slamming their forehead into a brick wall.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just get yourself banned from the Current Events forum and you won't even see the posts at all anymore.  :)

I find that my enjoyment of the site has improved considerably since I stopped reading, let alone attempting to participate in, the political conversations in the CE forum.  I think a person would be better off seeking entertainment in the act of aggressively slamming their forehead into a brick wall.
Is that what NCE means?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:06:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

Is that what NCE means?

Yep. “No Current Events”
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I feel like way less of a failure to know that you've also been ban-branded.

If there are any other NGT's out there looking for friends -- and perhaps more importantly, looking to find 'self' again -- please PM me!

This is only 20% sarcasm, 80% shame.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As long as the site and the mods have a section on current events / politics people can make those type of posts.  If you don't want to read them, don't read them.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I must say, I do have to concur with this. For the last several months I've been swamped at work and home with a new baby, and I've only really been able to post on here during gamethreads and some during the weekend, much less than in the past. It has been much more enjoyable for me (and probably others, too  :P).

Hell, there's been a gun control thread floating around the latest forum topics for several weeks now, and I haven't even posted in it once. Pretty proud of my restraint on that one.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 09:17:56 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This has potential to become a great thread. Trump will probably ruin it.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I post on both and get a kick out of both.   I like the idea that we are mostly Celtics fans (unifying) but also have diverse opinions.  To be honest, I think it's useful as a reminder that there are things that bind us together as people even when it seems that other things are pulling us apart.  We are not monolithic, not just C's fans -- we have other thoughts and ideas.  I think it makes for a great blog and I appreciate having the politics option.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I post on both and get a kick out of both.   I like the idea that we are mostly Celtics fans (unifying) but also have diverse opinions.  To be honest, I think it's useful as a reminder that there are things that bind us together as people even when it seems that other things are pulling us apart.  We are not monolithic, not just C's fans -- we have other thoughts and ideas.  I think it makes for a great blog and I appreciate having the politics option.

Good point!

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 09:53:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP, good point. While I am not an overly-active poster in the CE threads, I find reading through them to be fairly informative.

It is nice not just having to read a random comments section (which is mostly absolutely horrible!). Not only do we all have a common connection, but there is also accountability - both in your reputation as a poster and in keeping things clean; hence, the NCE designation. I do wish we could bring some banned posters back, though - we lost some great contributors to a single crime of passion  ;D

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To give some validity to the OP's post, some members mostly only click on the 'Latest Forum Topics' on the right hand side of the screen. Currently, 3/8 topics are not sports/Cs related (Oscars and Racial Inequality, Trump, and this one). If you are coming here and want to avoid political posts, that isn't a great way to start.

I would say to separate out the section like what was done with the fantasy league stuff (thank you for this btw!!), but the site might get a little too segmented at that point. For someone like me, I don't know that I would ever click on a CE thread if it wasn't in my Latest Forum Topics section.

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:00:34 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

TP, good point. While I am not an overly-active poster in the CE threads, I find reading through them to be fairly informative.

It is nice not just having to read a random comments section (which is mostly absolutely horrible!). Not only do we all have a common connection, but there is also accountability - both in your reputation as a poster and in keeping things clean; hence, the NCE designation. I do wish we could bring some banned posters back, though - we lost some great contributors to a single crime of passion  ;D

Haha I still don't know why I was banned from CE. I reached out to the mods and haven't heard back. I'm in the CelticsBlog Current Events jail, which is OK. Though I'll post about non Celtics related info somewhat frequently here, I still find the basketball related forums on this site to be superior to the others. If I want to talk about Russia, movies, or the Patriots, there are clearly better outlets.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 12:19:18 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I am getting sick of all the political opinions on this site. This is the Net and is full of political websites for me to vent my opinions. I read CBlog to inform me of my favorite Team for 50 years! That's right I have been a fan since the 50's. I have cheered for Bill Russell, Bob Cousey, Jo Jo White, Larry Bird, Paul Pierce and all iterations of the C's. But I am thinking about leaving CBlog because it's becoming a soapbox for people's political agenda? **** does that have to do with the Celtics?  Please clear it up and go back to covering the C's and stop wasting my time!

I agree, this is one place where we can all come together as Celtic fans and leave all that other stuff somewhere else.