Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948868 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #2835 on: March 24, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Just watched 'Paddleton' on Netflix last week. Not overly complicated, but well done. Ray Romano and Mark Duplass have good rapport and every guy should be able to relate in some way...luckily not in the tough sort of way, though. Easy watch, memorable, and more emotional than you expect going into it.
I really liked this movie.  I watched the Motley Crue movie "The Dirt" last night and enjoyed it.  I especially liked Ozzy's scene.

Awesome! And, yeah, I will definitely have to check out, "The Dirt." I was young when they were big (born in 1980), but my sister is 5 years older than me so I was totally into all the hairbands.

« Reply #2836 on: March 25, 2019, 02:34:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Us

It was good. Thrilling. A good premise. I don't know that the plot totally hangs together but I don't mind. As a supernatural thriller poking at some big ideas, I thought it worked really well. In no small part thanks to Lupita Nyong'o, who is phenomenal.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2837 on: March 25, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Netflix is really hyping Triple Frontier. it was OK, predictable, nothing more. good soundtrack (starts with Metallica- for whom the bell tolls)

« Reply #2838 on: March 25, 2019, 02:50:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Bought Spiderman Into The Spiderverse the day it came out, still awesome.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2839 on: March 25, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Us

It was good. Thrilling. A good premise. I don't know that the plot totally hangs together but I don't mind. As a supernatural thriller poking at some big ideas, I thought it worked really well. In no small part thanks to Lupita Nyong'o, who is phenomenal.

Thought the movie was just meh.

Will try to mask my spoilers, highlight below to see (of course this spoiler masking will disappear if I'm quoted):

SPOILERS Below

Could see the ending coming a mile away.  This is like cinema 101: when you show somebody in a predicament and then cut to them afterwards without showing how they got out, something unexpected happened in that missing scene that will inevitably be flashed back to in the end.

Not enough suspense build up for me.  Up until the villains arrive is good, but so little build up from once they arrive to their full fledged attack.  Personally I like a little cat and mouse first, where you wonder if the villains really exist or is it all in Lupita Nyong'o's head, using the old horror tropes of look out the window and see somebody, look again not there (or someone else looks and they're gone), or where seemingly mundane things go missing (like scissors or a bunny doll!) that it turns out the villain took for a purpose.  Also didn't like the quick realization that the villains are doppelgangers (but we can also blame the trailer/name for that one, not really something the movie was trying to hide).

A couple of nonsensical things.  Like when Lupita gets chained to the coffee table and later struggles to reach a weapon.  Any grown person would be able stand up and move the coffee table by themselves, even the little kid would have no problem doing that.  A quick google search tells me the average coffee table weighs between 10-50lbs, so that "how will she get out of this" moment was terrible.

Too much monologue from the villain.  We got one in the middle of the movie in the living room, and another at the end in that underground bunker.  The slow pace of those didn't work well for me.

SPOILERS Above

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:18:53 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2840 on: March 25, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Us

Will try to mask my spoilers, highlight below to see (of course this spoiler masking will disappear if I'm quoted):

As I said, I enjoyed it but I honestly don't disagree with any of those criticisms.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2841 on: March 25, 2019, 05:34:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Not a 'movie', but I also recently binge-watched season 1 of the Umbrella Academy on Netflix.

Strongly recommend watching that.  Quirky, weird and endearing.
It reminded me of Watchmen and it had a little pulp fiction added in. I also heard it was similar to Rising Stars comic. I never read Rising Stars but I picked up the comics this week as I was a fan of B5 and Heroes which its linked to both in ways. So far the comic is good 6 issues in.

Umbrella Academy is based on the Umbrella Academy comics series by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba.   Yes, that's Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance.   His post rocker career has become writing comics.  And he's really good at it.  In addition to UA, he's responsible for some very creative runs on several of DC's fringe 'grown up' titles including The Doom Patrol -- which also is now a live action series on DC Universe.

Here's link to sites selling the UA comic in book form:

https://www.google.com/search?q=umbrella+academy+book&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirn-TtnJ7hAhWuUt8KHZ7PDUwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1211&bih=805

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2842 on: March 25, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Us

As I said, I enjoyed it but I honestly don't disagree with any of those criticisms.
I agree with the "meh".  I didn't love it. I'm a movie fanatic, but horror is my least favorite genre. Some standard horror schlock mixed with a bunch of half-baked ideas that Peele brought to the table, but didn't really flesh out... and a social commentary layer that felt more shallow that some fanboys are making it out to be. I thought it was a step down from his last one ("Get out") which I felt was more interesting and more entertaining. FWIW, I thought Lupita was pretty good in it. I think I'd give it something like a 65 out of 100. It has an 81 out of 100 on metacritic - which feels overrated to me. I understand why some would love it, though.

« Reply #2843 on: March 25, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Not a 'movie', but I also recently binge-watched season 1 of the Umbrella Academy on Netflix.

It reminded me of Watchmen and it had a little pulp fiction added in. I also heard it was similar to Rising Stars comic. I never read Rising Stars but I picked up the comics this week as I was a fan of B5 and Heroes which its linked to both in ways. So far the comic is good 6 issues in.

Umbrella Academy is based on the Umbrella Academy comics series by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba.   Yes, that's Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance.   His post rocker career has become writing comics.  And he's really good at it.  In addition to UA, he's responsible for some very creative runs on several of DC's fringe 'grown up' titles including The Doom Patrol -- which also is now a live action series on DC Universe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=umbrella+academy+book&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirn-TtnJ7hAhWuUt8KHZ7PDUwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1211&bih=805
I liked the first season as a whole, but there was one specific point in the show that really angered my wife and I. 

I'll try not to spoil it... but it involves a very cliche trope where one character does a little snooping and has world-shaking evidence that something is wrong.. and comes to their loved one with proof, but instead of reacting with logic and reason, they snap about the invasion of privacy and refuse to listen.  That "misunderstanding" trope really irritates my wife.  You see something similar in romcoms too... where two characters get into an argument about something, but it's based on a total misunderstanding... and you're just waiting for the person to say "woah woah woah, hold up... hold up... calm down... maybe i'm not explaining myself properly... let me clear this up right now", but instead they just blow up at each other and you wait until the next part of the story where months later they run into each other in a coffee shop and live happily ever after.   

Well anyways... there's a specific part of Umbrella Academy where something like this happens... and I hated it.  Made me feel like they rushed things with poor writing.

« Reply #2844 on: March 25, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
you're just waiting for the person to say "woah woah woah, hold up... hold up... calm down... maybe i'm not explaining myself properly... let me clear this up right now"

Does this work with you wife? Haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2845 on: March 25, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
you're just waiting for the person to say "woah woah woah, hold up... hold up... calm down... maybe i'm not explaining myself properly... let me clear this up right now"

Does this work with you wife? Haha.
Lol. 

You get my point though.  You see this kind of crap all the time in bad romcoms...

Girl walks in.. sees what she thinks is a guy making out with his sister.

Girl:  "Brett!  How could you!"

Guy:  "But wait... it's not how it looks!"

Girl:  "I Trusted you!!" (she runs off)

Months later at a book signing.

Girl:  "So I read your book"

Guy:  "Yeah.  You inspired me to write it"

Girl:  "How about we give this another chance?"

But like... in real life, I think the guy would chase her out the door and explain - that isn't actually his sister... and that this whole thing is a big misunderstanding involving a lesbian "best friend" from his childhood, a multi-million dollar inheritance from a curmudgeon old grandmother contingent on the main character getting married, a weeks-long fake engagement that resulted in our main character meeting the love-interest (a lowly wedding caterer) - him panicking in the moment claiming he was just helping his "sister" plan her wedding, several days of shenanigans while he tried to keep up appearances of his "engagement" for watchful lawyers while subsequently keeping his budding romance hidden - all leading to the sudden realization that the "lesbian best friend" was actually a sociopath trying to entrap him in a marriage so she could take half his inheritance - and her evil scheme to seduce him when he expressed his plan to propose to the love interest instead - culminating in her attack-kissing him right as she knew the love-interest was arriving.   

I mean... just a simple explanation and the whole thing gets cleared up on the spot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:19:53 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2846 on: March 26, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I liked the first season as a whole, but there was one specific point in the show that really angered my wife and I. 

I'll try not to spoil it... but it involves a very cliche trope where one character does a little snooping and has world-shaking evidence that something is wrong.. and comes to their loved one with proof, but instead of reacting with logic and reason, they snap about the invasion of privacy and refuse to listen.  That "misunderstanding" trope really irritates my wife.  You see something similar in romcoms too... where two characters get into an argument about something, but it's based on a total misunderstanding... and you're just waiting for the person to say "woah woah woah, hold up... hold up... calm down... maybe i'm not explaining myself properly... let me clear this up right now", but instead they just blow up at each other and you wait until the next part of the story where months later they run into each other in a coffee shop and live happily ever after.   

Well anyways... there's a specific part of Umbrella Academy where something like this happens... and I hated it.  Made me feel like they rushed things with poor writing.

I know which part you are talking about.  And I totally agree about it being an irritating trope that is way over-used in many fictional works.   There is actually a reason for the over-reaction in this case, though I don't think they make that reason apparent or strong enough.  So I think your criticism is valid.

Eh ... of course, Pride and Prejudice famously uses this trope!  LOL!

Ultimately, this didn't ruin UA for me.   Umbrella Academy is definitely not a perfect work but it's still a lot of fun.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2847 on: March 26, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Agree, but my eyes started rolling at the part that was like "here's all this character+plot development but oops time travel AAAAAAAND it's gone! Now let's start over and show you what 'really happened'." Felt like a complete cop-out, like trying to fit one of those Marvel "What If?" stories into a series without having any real narrative consequences.

Kinda related to that the Hazel and Cha-Cha plot winds up almost totally detached from the main narrative; its only relevance seems to be that their absence slightly changed how things "originally" played out. That and the distinct video game final boss feel to the end turned me off.

I still thought it was fun, quirky, etc., liked a lot of the characters and would definitely watch another season but boy it sure peaked early.

« Reply #2848 on: April 03, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I did know both those shows were based on a comic. But I like to search for earlier comics that seemed to inspire a current good series, in that way Im not reading what I just watched.
(Did finish Rising Stars. Much like other MJS works starts great but a little loose with the end. 7 out of 10)

« Reply #2849 on: April 04, 2019, 10:04:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pet Semetary.  Generic and heartless. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes