Author Topic: Dwight Powell?  (Read 1664 times)

Dwight Powell?
« on: October 07, 2023, 01:46:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I wonder if the C’s would be able to make a trade with the Mavericks to get Dwight Powell. Dallas has bit of a log jam at the 4/5 with Lively, Kleber, G-Will, Holmes, Powell, Prosper.

I’d feel a lot better about the C’s big man rotation if they added Powell. He’s 6’10/240lbs and makes $4M/year. Dwight is 32 years old now, but still would be a solid veteran player to have.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Dwight Powell?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 02:22:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
He was resigned with Bird rights, so he can’t be traded until January 15th, but he’s someone to keep an eye on depending how the Mavs’ season goes.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He was resigned with Bird rights, so he can’t be traded until January 15th, but he’s someone to keep an eye on depending how the Mavs’ season goes.
Definitely one to watch, would be a very handy deadline acquisition
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 05:55:04 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
I suggested this last week and the board "experts" jumped on Powell saying how bad he was these days. 

I agree, for $4MM or less (if he's bought out) he could provide a vet presence in some backup minutes.

He's a poor career three-point shooter, his best season was two years ago when he shot 35% from three but he looks more like a career 29% 3P shooter (just a guess).

So he's not going to give you Horford-like stats.  But he also won't lose you games as he's not looking for his own offense, or a turnover concern, but he is a stout defender.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 07:30:39 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
I suggested this last week and the board "experts" jumped on Powell saying how bad he was these days. 

I agree, for $4MM or less (if he's bought out) he could provide a vet presence in some backup minutes.

He's a poor career three-point shooter, his best season was two years ago when he shot 35% from three but he looks more like a career 29% 3P shooter (just a guess).

So he's not going to give you Horford-like stats.  But he also won't lose you games as he's not looking for his own offense, or a turnover concern, but he is a stout defender.

They need him for defense and rebounding. Kornet isn’t going to cut it. Team has enough shooters.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 07:38:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3205
I'm not sure that Powell is all that better than Wenyen Gabriel.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 07:59:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1502

+1, and I am pretty sure he wouldn't be as fun to watch and root for.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 08:14:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

How about having both? Gabriel as the backup PF and Powell at C. Would eliminate the need for Kornet to see anything but garbage time minutes.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 09:05:40 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

He just signed a 3-year deal this summer.  He’s not getting bought out midseason.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 10:58:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

How about having both? Gabriel as the backup PF and Powell at C. Would eliminate the need for Kornet to see anything but garbage time minutes.
Gabriel isn't a PF though. Not a shooting threat nor a good passer. Only perimeter skill he really has is solid handling

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2023, 11:05:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

Gabriel isn't a PF though. Not a shooting threat nor a good passer. Only perimeter skill he really has is solid handling

I’m seeing him listed as a PF on ESPN, NBA.com, Basketball Reference, CBS Sports…

Brisett and Stevens aren’t good passers or shooters either. They are listed as Forwards as well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 11:24:05 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 03:17:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I’m seeing him listed as a PF on ESPN, NBA.com, Basketball Reference, CBS Sports…

Brisett and Stevens aren’t good passers or shooters either. They are listed as Forwards as well.
He's a big, Brissett and Stevens are not. Feels obtuse to argue otherwise.