Author Topic: Hypothetically could we see 4 Celtics All-Stars?  (Read 6000 times)

Hypothetically could we see 4 Celtics All-Stars?
« on: August 11, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
If the Celtics actually play up to their level this season and get a top 1-3 seed is it not in the realm of possibilities that Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Walker all make the All Star team?

Hayward and Walker are both former All-Stars so if the return and maintain their level of play they both could be there, Tatum obviously has the offensive ability and will get the shots and Brown is the biggest what if as he won’t get the offensive numbers to be a ‘typical All-Star’ thus he’d need Horford like all round numbers to be in contention.

The thing to remember is that because the Celtics are in an all time weak Eastern Conference we have a great shot at 4 All-Stars as Leonard is gone, Durant is out for the Season, Blake Griffin is extremely injury prone...and the list goes on.

Thoughts?

Re: Hypothetically could we see 4 Celtics All-Stars?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
After last season, I don't want to have any high expectations for this team or any of its players. Besides that, getting four all-stars from one team hardly ever happens—this team would have to be like Golden State, and I can't imagine that happening.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:08:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i am really unconcerned over whether any celtics is chosen as an all start. right now my concern is on them winning herds and herds of games and going at least to the ECF.

that would make me much happier than having all 15 celtics picked as all stars.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:17:49 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
After last season, I don't want to have any high expectations for this team or any of its players. Besides that, getting four all-stars from one team hardly ever happens—this team would have to be like Golden State, and I can't imagine that happening.

2011 All-Star Game we had 4 (Pierce, Garnett, Rondo, Allen).

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:25:03 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
If the Celtics actually play up to their level this season and get a top 1-3 seed

This is way too generous.  For instance, if the C's are the #3 seed, it probably means Philly and Milwaukee are 1-2.  The Bucks have 3 All-Star caliber players in Giannis, Middleton, and Bledsoe (I know there's a few people out there who thought Bledsoe should have made the All-Star team over Middleton last year).  And the Sixers have 3-4 (Embiid, Simmons, Harris, Horford).  It's hard to reason the C's get 4 if Sixers and Bucks don't each get at least 3.  Now you have 10-11 out of 12 spots going to just 3 teams, and you still have Irving, Griffin, Lowry, Butler, Beal, Vucevic, Siakam, etc.  Not going to happen.

The only way I can see this happening is the C's need to be #1 by a wide margin, we're talking at least a 5 game lead at the All-Star break/60+ win pace and you also need a few injuries along the way to other players (partially already there with the injuries to Durant, Oladipo, Wall thinning the herd).

So C's need to blow expectations out the water, Sixers/Bucks need to underwhelm, and then add in a few injuries to other players in the East.

When it's happened in the last 20 years:

2018 Warriors - 3 game lead in West, 65 win pace
2017 Warriors - 2.5 game lead in West. 70 win pace
2015 Hawks - 7 game lead in East, 67 win pace
2011 Celtics - 3 game lead in East. 63 win pace
2006 Detroit - 10.5 game lead in East, 68 win pace
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:09:29 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 01:08:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If we go all 2014-2015 Atlanta Hawks and win 60 games then maybe, but it's pretty hard to defend Kyle Korver as an All-Star.

I think two is very possible (Kemba and one of Tatum/Hayward). Maybe 3 if Tatum takes a step forward and Hayward puts up Utah-like numbers, and we're winning.

4 seems crazy though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 04:31:38 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Just Kemba seems most likely

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:38:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 06:26:15 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
They won't win enough games for coaches to allow them to have 4 all stars even if 4 guys deserve to be in there.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 06:52:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Thoughts?

No way

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'd be happy with 2 all-stars and the team playing share the ball offense.

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
all-star team is pretty much a popularity contest.  C's don't have anyone who's a big name in the league now except possibly Kemba but that is something I'd attribute more to his big contract than being someone talked about by casual fans of the game.

I figure it'll just be Kemba.  if anyone else makes it, it means they've either bounced back (Hayward) or exploded to the next level (Brown, Tatum) which is good for us but not something I'm banking on.

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I see 7:

Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Hayward, Smart, Kanter, Tacko
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
So looking at the last season,

Leonard and Russell are gone.
Vuceuvic, Middleton, and Lowry are fringe allstars.
Oladipo is coming off injury (sharing Russell's slot).

That leaves 2 slots open for sure, 3 question marks.
The only offseason moves that I can think of that could take a slot are Tobias Harris and Jimmy Butler (being in Miami he could have a much larger role).

So it looks like there are 2-5 slots that are up for grabs as I don't believe that Griffin, Simmons, Beal or any of the starters are missing a slot.

I think it will end up being Butler, Harris, Tatum, Oladipo, and Middleton.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:14:47 AM by Erik »

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If the Celtics actually play up to their level this season and get a top 1-3 seed

This is way too generous.  For instance, if the C's are the #3 seed, it probably means Philly and Milwaukee are 1-2.  The Bucks have 3 All-Star caliber players in Giannis, Middleton, and Bledsoe (I know there's a few people out there who thought Bledsoe should have made the All-Star team over Middleton last year).  And the Sixers have 3-4 (Embiid, Simmons, Harris, Horford).  It's hard to reason the C's get 4 if Sixers and Bucks don't each get at least 3.  Now you have 10-11 out of 12 spots going to just 3 teams, and you still have Irving, Griffin, Lowry, Butler, Beal, Vucevic, Siakam, etc.  Not going to happen.

The only way I can see this happening, is the C's need to be #1 by a wide margin, we're talking at least a 5 game lead at the All-Star break/60+ win pace and you also need a few injuries along the way to other players (partially already there with the injuries to Durant, Oladipo, Wall thinning the herd).

So C's need to blow expectations out the water, Sixers/Bucks need to underwhelm, and then add in a few injuries to other players in the East.

When it's happened in the last 20 years:

2018 Warriors - 3 game lead in West, 65 win pace
2017 Warriors - 2.5 game lead in West. 70 win pace
2015 Hawks - 7 game lead in East, 67 win pace
2011 Celtics - 3 game lead in East. 63 win pace
2006 Detroit - 10.5 game lead in East, 68 win pace

Perfectly put, TP.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur