Poll

What was your greatest disappointment during the offseason?

The players we signed?
0 (0%)
The players we did NOT sign?
5 (12.2%)
Failing to get a top-3 draft pick?
19 (46.3%)
The Love Affair?
9 (22%)
Failing to get rid of Wallace's contract?
1 (2.4%)
Other (specify in comments)
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic  (Read 20901 times)

Re: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The chances of a team shooting 3's at 33,3% losing 23 3's in a row are 2/3 raised to the 23rd= 0.00009%. Even if we assumed the C's are a 25% team the chances would still be ridiculously low. This game was an outlier and this is why I would be very reluctant to draw meaningful conclusions from it.

Dude, you're breaking from the protocol of your own thread. You need to lead by example if you want to encourage more 'the sky is falling' rhetoric. Let me try and get this back on track.

People need to stop dwelling on missing out on Perry Jones and DeAndre Jordan. The real travesty was taking JaJuan Johnson over Jimmy Butler and Chandler Parsons. Things would be a lot rosier right now I tell ya....

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The chances of a team shooting 3's at 33,3% losing 23 3's in a row are 2/3 raised to the 23rd= 0.00009%. Even if we assumed the C's are a 25% team the chances would still be ridiculously low. This game was an outlier and this is why I would be very reluctant to draw meaningful conclusions from it.

Dude, you're breaking from the protocol of your own thread. You need to lead by example if you want to encourage more 'the sky is falling' rhetoric. Let me try and get this back on track.

People need to stop dwelling on missing out on Perry Jones and DeAndre Jordan. The real travesty was taking JaJuan Johnson over Jimmy Butler and Chandler Parsons. Things would be a lot rosier right now I tell ya....
Thanks mate. I do not know what got into me.

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Everyone on this team is going to die someday.

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the team didn't add any veteran talent, and knew its young talent wasn't ready to make the playoffs. I think they're double-secret tanking and getting ready to trade Rondo. I'm not really depressed about it, but I think we're going to suck.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2014, 11:45:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Everyone on this team is going to die someday.
Not me. I decided against it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2014, 12:17:02 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I think the team didn't add any veteran talent, and knew its young talent wasn't ready to make the playoffs. I think they're double-secret tanking and getting ready to trade Rondo. I'm not really depressed about it, but I think we're going to suck.

I'm starting to realize it as well

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Hey, no expectations, no disappointment, right? ;)  How else are we to get screwed once again out of landing a great big man in the draft next year if we don't suck?  Priorities, guys, priorities (sarcasm) ;D.

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I haven't been commenting much lately. The reason is that I can no longer stay up all night to watch the games (Greece is a bit removed from Boston) and download the games from the internet- so I avoid visiting the forums so as not to get premature info about the results.
I' ve watched all the games except the one with Dallas.
The game with OKC was truly depressing though.
a) We did not manage to find a solution against the zone for 24 minutes.
b) It is really worrying how easily we give up scoring advantages. We did twice with OKC.
c) Theoretically, we played against a team that has no bench, without its key players and which was exhausted. Jackson in particular, had put tremendous minutes in the last week. And, yet, it looked like OKC was the fresher more active and faster team.

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
First time posting on this thread so in the spirit of the thread title, I need to make it a good one.

I see no immediate way out of this situation. Ainge seems overly conservative, picking guys in the draft who are decent all around players, good balance of defense/offense, good character guys who work hard, but really not huge upside. The Marcus Smart pick for example, is a bit like the Jeff Green pick in that it was "safe". 

Then, I am beginning to realize that there is basically no way to get a bonafide big man without giving up Rondo which apparently is out of the question.

Then, we have a 2nd year coach who I like but is still learning. 

Then, free agents don't come to Boston and won't come to Boston unless there is championship potential.

Then, lots of money tied up in average "good" players -- Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Jeff Green, Marcus Thornton.

Then, way too many draft picks, actually.  Ainge literally HAS TO trade many of them away because it is literally impossible to sign so many rookies over the next 5 years, and unless the Nets implode soon, they will not be top picks. 

The situation sucks and there are no easy answers.

How was my first post on the depressing thread?

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
IMO this team has enough talent to be better than they have showed. Of course young players more often find ways to lose than to win, but the effort is lacking and this worries me. If Brad does not get these guys to play hard for 48 minutes he will have no chance to get veterans to play hard.

To add the depression we were 3-3 before the OKC game and should have beat that team and instead got beaten like a baby seal. That will be the last time we are .500 this year. :'(