Author Topic: McMenanim: Cavs players don't think current roster can compete (Merged)  (Read 25376 times)

Re: McMenanim: Cavs players don't think current roster can compete (Merged)
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Cavaliers really only have only one way to thread the needle in a series vs. GSW, and that's trading for the duo of DeAndre Jordan + Lou Williams.

Otherwise, George Hill and others alike help only a little but don't thread the needle.

Cousins getting injured also hurts CLE if they wanted to go after him (Cousins DEFINITELY would have threaded the needle for them as well).

I think going after AB, and bringing in Jordan could also work.

But yes going after Hill doesn't seem like a smart idea, plus why even bring in Hill lol.

Actually yes, you're right. Ugh hope AB doesn't go to CLE. Hope OKC or Clippers trade for him instead.

I really hope they don't get AB. That would help them a lot

« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2-0 since the lineup change.  Thompson and Love have both played pretty well in those games so it may have worked

I'll still never quite understand why they thought it was a good idea to start Love at C.

I'll need to see a lot more from them before I buy they've fixed their defensive woes, but I've also never ruled out them out as being capable of making the Finals regardless of their defense.

Any team with LeBron is a threat to make the Finals.

I think the headline from espn on their pacers win described it as underwhelming. They struggled all day yesterday with the pistons who have been in complete free fall for a month since Jackson got hurt. Are we also not mentioning that Isaiah Thomas got benched the entire 4th yesterday?
the backups and James were working so Thompson told Lue to leave them out there.  Love was the only other starter (along with James) that played at all in the 4th quarter yesterday (and Love came in very late).  I actually like that sort of move from Lue.  He stayed with what worked rather than letting egos get in the way.

I'm just a bit confused why you are impressed by these two wins. One a lottery team and one the 7 seed. They have been able to beat the bad to mediocre teams all year. Their issue is playing the rockets, thunder, warriors,raptors etc. I don't think any lineup change is going to solve that. They need to trade
Love and Thompson both looked a lot better the last 2 games then they had recently.  And the Pacers were 3-0 against the Cavs entering the game on Friday.  And any team that is 4-11 in their last 15 winning 2 straight is a positive (and those 4 were Orlando twice, Chicago, an Portland). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
2-0 since the lineup change.  Thompson and Love have both played pretty well in those games so it may have worked

I'll still never quite understand why they thought it was a good idea to start Love at C.

I'll need to see a lot more from them before I buy they've fixed their defensive woes, but I've also never ruled out them out as being capable of making the Finals regardless of their defense.

Any team with LeBron is a threat to make the Finals.

I think the headline from espn on their pacers win described it as underwhelming. They struggled all day yesterday with the pistons who have been in complete free fall for a month since Jackson got hurt. Are we also not mentioning that Isaiah Thomas got benched the entire 4th yesterday?
the backups and James were working so Thompson told Lue to leave them out there.  Love was the only other starter (along with James) that played at all in the 4th quarter yesterday (and Love came in very late).  I actually like that sort of move from Lue.  He stayed with what worked rather than letting egos get in the way.

I'm just a bit confused why you are impressed by these two wins. One a lottery team and one the 7 seed. They have been able to beat the bad to mediocre teams all year. Their issue is playing the rockets, thunder, warriors,raptors etc. I don't think any lineup change is going to solve that. They need to trade
Love and Thompson both looked a lot better the last 2 games then they had recently.  And the Pacers were 3-0 against the Cavs entering the game on Friday.  And any team that is 4-11 in their last 15 winning 2 straight is a positive (and those 4 were Orlando twice, Chicago, an Portland).

I guess. Their issues are playing against good teams. They have proven repeatedly they can beat  lower end playoff teams and lottery teams all season (it's embarrassing they were 0-3 against pacers, funny stat)

If your larger point is that they are no longer at the same level as they were and they should be pleased with any kind of win, I can agree with that
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:16:15 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
My larger point is only that if Thompson and Love play like they have the last 2 weeks and they get Thomas back healthy, then they are the clear team to beat in the East.  They do need both of those things to happen though. 

Remember the Cavs were the 29th rated defense after the all star game last year, and ended up the 3rd rated defense in the playoffs.  They are a team that has the ability to really turn it on because they have Lebron James. 

« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
My larger point is only that if Thompson and Love play like they have the last 2 weeks and they get Thomas back healthy, then they are the clear team to beat in the East.  They do need both of those things to happen though. 

Remember the Cavs were the 29th rated defense after the all star game last year, and ended up the 3rd rated defense in the playoffs.  They are a team that has the ability to really turn it on because they have Lebron James.

I think there is a good chance 2 of the 3 players you mentioned won't be on the team in the playoffs. I hope they think like you though and lee them all. Also what are you talking about 2 weeks? A week ago they were getting blown out on national tv and love left "sick." Their last game before yesterday love threw his warmups at jeff greens face (pretended it was a joke later) and handed IT the ball like he was a toddler. You want more of that ? Me too
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:39:13 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think there is a good chance 2 of the 3 players you mentioned won't be on the team in the playoffs. I hope they think like you though and lee them all. Also what are you talking about 2 weeks? A week ago they were getting blown out on national tv and love left "sick." Their last game before yesterday love threw his warmups at jeff greens face (pretended it was a joke later) and handed IT the ball like he was a toddler. You want more of that ? Me too
players get sick.  happens.  I don't see any real problem with that.  I'd rather have the guy try to tough it out then not play at all.  I think Love was pretty clearly joking on the Jeff Green thing.  I see teammates do that sort of thing all the time with each other, but because it is the Cavs it becomes a big story. 

They clearly have some dysfunction, but I do think a lot of it is the lack of playing of time they have had with each other as a result of the injuries (and Thomas still not being back to healthy doesn't help).  I mean Wade has been out and Rose has been playing.  They just haven't had any consistency at all with their roster. 

I don't see Thompson, Love, or Thomas getting traded unless it is for a real star and I don't think those trades are out there.  Guys like Bradley, Hill, etc. they don't need to trade starters to acquire.

« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

players get sick.  happens.  I don't see any real problem with that.  I'd rather have the guy try to tough it out then not play at all.  I think Love was pretty clearly joking on the Jeff Green thing.  I see teammates do that sort of thing all the time with each other, but because it is the Cavs it becomes a big story. 

They clearly have some dysfunction, but I do think a lot of it is the lack of playing of time they have had with each other as a result of the injuries (and Thomas still not being back to healthy doesn't help).  I mean Wade has been out and Rose has been playing.  They just haven't had any consistency at all with their roster. 

I don't see Thompson, Love, or Thomas getting traded unless it is for a real star and I don't think those trades are out there.  Guys like Bradley, Hill, etc. they don't need to trade starters to acquire.

If they don't make a trade I don't think this team makes it out of the first round. Tonight was probably one of their worst losses in last 4 years

« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2018, 10:32:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

If they don't make a trade I don't think this team makes it out of the first round. Tonight was probably one of their worst losses in last 4 years

The East honestly looks intriguing this year. Like, I don't think there would be ANY easy first round opponents for any of the Top-4 teams. Heat, Wizards (healthy Wall), Bucks and Sixers (healthy Embiid) are no pushovers and could easily give any of the teams a run for their money, including CLE.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2018, 10:33:31 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Drummond 21/21/6/3/3 and counting. What a game.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2018, 10:39:56 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
Just saw IT shots 3-10 with 6 turnovers and a team-low -25.... things could get very ugly in CLE real quick.

Feel bad for the little guy. I hope he gets out of there soon and has his career resume the trajectory Brad put him on.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2018, 10:42:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Just saw IT shots 3-10 with 6 turnovers and a team-low -25.... things could get very ugly in CLE real quick.

Feel bad for the little guy. I hope he gets out of there soon and has his career resume the trajectory Brad put him on.

I kind of hope they trade him away to another team.

And it's not because I'm rooting for him to fail, but because he needs to GET OUT of that toxic environment. He deserves his money. Not saying he's a max guy but he is definitely a 16-18M/Year player.

Same with Kevin Love. Love is their 2nd best player and yet the rest of the team trashes on him. Sad.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2018, 10:46:51 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Drummond 21/21/6/3/3 and counting. What a game.

To be honest I’m hoping we don’t play the Pistons in the playoffs. Such a tough matchup for us.

If we get a scorer by trade (Lou or Tyreke) I hope we can grab Dedmond as a buyout for the TPE.

« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2018, 10:55:10 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

I kind of hope they trade him away to another team.

And it's not because I'm rooting for him to fail, but because he needs to GET OUT of that toxic environment. He deserves his money. Not saying he's a max guy but he is definitely a 16-18M/Year player.

Same with Kevin Love. Love is their 2nd best player and yet the rest of the team trashes on him. Sad.

I hope they do too. But I doubt they can get anything close to value for him at his contract. They could try trading him with Thompson for someone with a lower ceiling, but getting rid of that contract. But with Love being sidelined, they need a big. Cleveland is in a very bad spot.

I think IT, when healthy, is worth a lot more than $16-18M. I don’t know if he’s a super max guy, but if guys like Teague ($19M/yr), Hill ($19M/yr), Holiday ($26M/yr), etc. can get those contracts, IT definitely deserves significantly more than the likes of Rubio, Schroeder, Parker, Bledsoe, Dragic, and Jackson (all of whom are in the $15M range).

We know he’s not healthy yet. Let’s see how close he can get to last years version, which was pretty sensational (on a winning team no less, with no clear cut 2nd scoring option).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2018, 11:11:29 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Without Love, they're going to lose some games. James can't play 40 minutes a night.

« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2018, 12:08:06 AM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Without Love, they're going to lose some games. James can't play 40 minutes a night.

James "WON'T" play 40 minutes a night.  Big difference.  Just another in the long line of reasons he's not on the same level as Larry Bird.