Author Topic: Is this team in serious trouble?  (Read 5150 times)

Re: Is this team in serious trouble?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 12:39:10 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
serious trouble? absolutely not. it's an 82 game season. this question was asked last season during the slumps following the 16-game (?) winning streak

:P

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 12:44:09 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 12:51:10 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If The Celtics shot 30 % from 3 last night they would've won that game.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 02:07:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They're among the best defenses in the league, if not the best. That'll get you to 45-50 wins.  So, no.

That said, the offense is bad and it's not entirely clear how it's going to become better than just OK.  That's a big problem for the team's title aspirations.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 04:34:58 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Celtics will win the next 13 straight games.

Might even beat the Bucks to make it 14. Then who knows? This could be a 20+ game winning streak. Buckle up, boys.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 04:46:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Might even beat the Bucks to make it 14. Then who knows? This could be a 20+ game winning streak. Buckle up, boys.
Boy I hope you're wrong
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 04:49:21 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think this is becoming a confidence issue. They are not taking the shots they could and should take.

Instead they try to force it to others which eventually leads to a tougher shot. I don’t know if they (basically all of them) haven’t been shooting well so don’t want to shoot, or if they want to promote team-ball and keep the rock moving. Either way, they need to take the open shots. They are all capable shooters.

Baynes is the only guy who keeps hoisting them no matter what, and I like the attitude. He can brick 4 straight and if he gets the ball and he’s wide open, he’s putting it up again. Then you see the others (sans Kyrie and Morris), they get ball, side step away from close out, weak drive and kick, rinse and repeat.

It’s tough because there are so many times when this team looks like they are about to rattle off a 17-4 run or something and wind up either blowing their lead or getting into too deep a hole.

We knew it may take awhile for everyone to play together and our two all-stars to shake the rust (Kyrie did overnight, Gordon looking passive and missing shots he should be making), but this is dragging on a little too long now.

I know the schedule eases now, so we may string together some wins, but still. We need to start scoring at will. We need to make our open shots, that will be the start of it.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 04:51:47 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Boy I hope you're wrong

Why do you hope he’s wrong about a 13+ game winning streak?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
They definitely aren't in serious trouble yet.  That being said, I think it's time for us to acknowledge a trend that dates back to the beginning of last season.  This incarnation of the Celtics, with or without Hayward, has featured a mediocre offense at best.  They ranked near the bottom of the league in efficiency during the 16 game winning streak.  Improvements were made throughout last season but they never found consistency.  Defense and clutch shot making were the defining characteristics of last years group.

The rule changes have tipped the scales in favor of offense, yet the Celtics haven't improved. 

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Yes we are in trouble.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 08:19:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Boy I hope you're wrong

Why do you hope he’s wrong about a 13+ game winning streak?
Because the winning streak ended... I'm insatiable after seeing Sacramento, LAC and Memphis do so well so far, lol.

This early season has been rough
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I think Stevens needs to do a better job, but no I don't think we are in trouble.

I think moving a starter to the bench was the right move, although I think it should have been Brown and started Smart not Baynes. That said Hayward looks horrible as well.
I feel like benching Hayward just shattered his confidence even more and I'm not sure he'll ever be the player he once was. I hope I'm wrong. I also think Stevens knew benching Hayward would cause the least amount of backlash and Hayward would be more accepting/understanding of it.

Hayward needs confidence right now and benching him i'm sure is just making him think about it even more.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Y    E    S   

three max players that have two of them playing like poop.

A 2nd yr player is our our second best player.

a defensive stalward that has no offensive game to speak of.

A SG who shot efficiently last yr who has magically lost his touch but still thinks he is Klay Thompson even though he is a lot closer to Jeff Green.

Oh and the moment you ask your 31 million player to be an Evan Turner clone...well that actuallly says what this topic is all about.....YES Boston, we have a problem.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:25 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Not worried at all
We just need to wake up and make our makable shots
People are panicking too easily

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
My Thoughts:

1. I knew exactly what was gonna happen on the play when Kemba nailed that last three. We've seen that same play on us a thousand times. CBS plays the percentage and tells Horford not to let him drive, but to contest the three.

2. Connected to the point above, it is not fun watching this team defend during the regular season. CBS is committed to his defensive system, which means when an opposing guard gets into rhythm, he refuses to send help. He puts Brown and Smart on an island. He refuses to allow the rest of the opposing team to get involved in the game. His strategy is simple: if they win with hero ball against Smart, they deserve to win. It's infuriating and ungratifying to watch. It's not a great regular season tactic, but it is a great playoff series tactic. Players can't be heroes for an entire series -- at least not enough to win games. If the opposing team is not involved, then the odds are in your favor.

3. The offense looked better last night. It trended up in the Raptors game also.

4. Jaylen Brown is starting to look like a better version of Andrew Wiggins. I realize his points are not as high, but his usage is also way lower than Wiggins has been throughout his career. He is a tantalizing prospect with uber-defensive potential, but I worry about his determination, or will, to stop opposing offensive players. I wish he would take a few more blocking fouls trying to stop guys getting to the basket. I STILL OWN OODLES OF JAYLEN BROWN STOCK. I'M NOT SELLING YET.

5. Kyrie Irving is really good at basketball. He is still scoring at an amazing level, but he is now figuring out how to distribute and get other guys involved. He is also playing high level defense. I kinda' wanted him to take Kemba last night. I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF THESE EARLY SEASON STRUGGLES FOR THE CELTICS WERE THE REFINING FIRE THAT VAULTED KYRIE TO THE NEXT LEVEL AS A PLAYER.

6. The refs missed a pretty obvious foul on a late three pointer by Kyrie. The Hornets got free throws on an off-ball touch foul on the other side of the court. That was pretty frustrating to watch, but again, seems par for the course this year. That was a 5 point swing that we never came back from.

7. It seems like every time we are about to go on a long run, we make one simple mistake that stops it. Last night, those mistakes were Baynes fouls, Theis overplaying on defense and leaving the drive open, missed open threes, not catching a pass, etc. In some ways, I think this team is very close.

8. Horford and Theis look really smart, but really old. I agree with other posters that Robert Williams may provide some energy and quickness. Hopefully, he can figure out good positioning quickly.

9. Marcus Morris is regressing to the mean. I wish CBS played Brown above him more. I also wish Morris' approach rubbed off on Brown a little.

10. The Cs have not been fun to watch so far. It seems like every game we are about to go on a run and then make some dumb mistakes. Those moments always feel like holding in a sneeze. It seems like every other game, an opposing player is going off against us. We rarely win a game by 30. Every game is a struggle.

11. Finally, it's not how you play at the beginning of the season, but at the end of the season. I'm still hopeful that we pick up momentum in late February and carry it through the playoffs. I'd take struggles in October-December if it meant playing well in April-June.