Author Topic: ESPN: Fakers have most disappointing rookie and vet from summer league  (Read 10569 times)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Insider story from Pelton. Cs made none of his lists:

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/13271902/nba-karl-anthony-towns-emmanuel-mudiay-earn-summer-league-superlatives

Most Disappointing Rookie: D'Angelo Russell | L.A. Lakers

It's easy to overreact to Russell's rough week in Las Vegas, especially with Mudiay playing better than expected. Resist that temptation. Russell is too good a shooter to continue making 7.7 percent of his 3-point attempts, having shot 41 percent from the NCAA line last season. And many of Russell's 5.8 turnovers per game are the result of his ability to see a play being ahead of his ability to execute it. Still, more was reasonably expected of the No. 2 pick than we've seen thus far.

Most Disappointing Veteran: Julius Randle | L.A. Lakers

Given he missed the balance of his rookie season with a fractured tibia suffered on opening night, it probably shouldn't be surprising that Randle has looked more like a first-year player acclimating to the league than a confident veteran. Still, his difficulty finishing in the half-court offense (he's shooting 39.3 percent) and middling rebounding (11 in 61 minutes, 6.5 per 36) have been disappointing for a Lakers team counting on Randle to step up this season.

Still don't see how Lakers could have passed on Okafor (Pelton compares him to Big Al in this article).  Okafor is no superstar, but he was a pretty sure thing. Critical question was whether Russell is quick enough to create his shot and so far the SL answer is no. Randle always was a one-trick pony.  Excellent chance that one of these two Fakers is a major disappointment and both wouldn't be a surprise.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I predicted Russell would have a slow start as he needs to adjust to the speed of the nba game
Also ranked okafor over Russell but just switched positions

Also randle I don't think should qualify as a vet
As he was injured in his 1st game

But kind of glad laker nation is still struggling

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Russel will turn out to be a bust for a second pick

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Given that Randle has yet to play any real NBA minutes, its hard for him to be called veteran. The most disappointing Veteran has to be Keith Bogans.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that Russell will be fine, but I think the Lakers will regret passing on Okafor for the next decade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Insider story from Pelton. Cs made none of his lists:

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/13271902/nba-karl-anthony-towns-emmanuel-mudiay-earn-summer-league-superlatives

Most Disappointing Rookie: D'Angelo Russell | L.A. Lakers

It's easy to overreact to Russell's rough week in Las Vegas, especially with Mudiay playing better than expected. Resist that temptation. Russell is too good a shooter to continue making 7.7 percent of his 3-point attempts, having shot 41 percent from the NCAA line last season. And many of Russell's 5.8 turnovers per game are the result of his ability to see a play being ahead of his ability to execute it. Still, more was reasonably expected of the No. 2 pick than we've seen thus far.

Most Disappointing Veteran: Julius Randle | L.A. Lakers

Given he missed the balance of his rookie season with a fractured tibia suffered on opening night, it probably shouldn't be surprising that Randle has looked more like a first-year player acclimating to the league than a confident veteran. Still, his difficulty finishing in the half-court offense (he's shooting 39.3 percent) and middling rebounding (11 in 61 minutes, 6.5 per 36) have been disappointing for a Lakers team counting on Randle to step up this season.

Still don't see how Lakers could have passed on Okafor (Pelton compares him to Big Al in this article).  Okafor is no superstar, but he was a pretty sure thing. Critical question was whether Russell is quick enough to create his shot and so far the SL answer is no. Randle always was a one-trick pony.  Excellent chance that one of these two Fakers is a major disappointment and both wouldn't be a surprise.
tp just for the laugh
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The regret will be passing on Porzingis, who, once he fills out, is going to surpass them all. Including Towns (also not that impressive in SL).

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think that Russell will be fine, but I think the Lakers will regret passing on Okafor for the next decade.

Agree 100 %

I laughed draft night , when they passed over Okafor

They thought it would be EASY to steal Cousins from the Kings .  Rebuild quick ....HA HA

Plan backfired

Passing on Okafor .......major screwup IMO

Now if they want him back at some point ...it will cost three 1 ST's and players .

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:02:41 AM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The regret will be passing on Porzingis, who, once he fills out, is going to surpass them all. Including Towns (also not that impressive in SL).

I have been impressed with Porzingis too.  I don't know how much can fill out, but if he does, he could be a special player.  I didn't realize how tall he was.  I thought he was 7 ft, in other words 6'10 or 6'11 barefoot.  It turns out he's 7'1 barefoot with a 7'6" wingspan.  He has a beautful shooting stroke and is very fluid for a guy his size.  He's not nearly strong enough yet, but has not been shying away from contact.  He has a lot of potential.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

My gut instinct all along has been that Okafor will be the best player in this draft and nothing I've seen so far has dissuaded me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Agree 100 %

I laughed draft night , when they passed over Okafor

They thought it would be EASY to steal Cousins from the Kings .  Rebuild quick ....HA HA

Plan backfired

Passing on Okafor .......major screwup IMO

Now if they want him back at some point ...it will cost three 1 ST's and players .

The notion that the Lakers could trade Russel and Randle for Cousins is hilarious.

I heard someone compare Russel to Evan Turner in that Thad Matta's system helped each look better than they really are.  I didn't watch enough Ohio State games to say for myself, but it's an interesting comparison in that they both played with the ball in their hands and shot up the prospect rankings to be the #2 pick. 

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

My gut instinct all along has been that Okafor will be the best player in this draft and nothing I've seen so far has dissuaded me.

Watch him defend the PnR and get back to me on that haha. Or really any part of defending. His offense will be legit with some shooters and a guard who can make an entry pass though.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
OSU guys are system guys a lot who get volume shots.   I would always be leery of them.   OSU is hardly a breeding ground for great NBA players.

There has not been a real superstar in the NBA since Hondo and he developed into one over time.  Oden had that potential though but injuries killed him.   Sully has sqaundered his talent by eating but never had superstar talent due to lack of athletic ability.  Jim Jackson had some good years but some bad ones.   Evan Turner was a bust.  They were decent in the 1960s and that championship crew in 60 had some good pros like Hondo, Larry Siegfried and Jerry Lucas.  Herb Williams was  a decent pro for years.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Disappointment in Laker Kingdom?

Good! ;D

Maybe Kobe will get fed up with this season and sign with BOS next season.

He's already tried out for us

Have no idea of BOS' seriousness in drafting Kobe waayyy back then, but I'd take a 38 yo Kobe in Green next season....at the very least to rub it in Laker fan's faces.

We've already had one defector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMNLmS5bVBs

Why not two :)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Watch him defend the PnR and get back to me on that haha. Or really any part of defending. His offense will be legit with some shooters and a guard who can make an entry pass though.

Right, because nobody ever gets better at defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain