Author Topic: Klay Thompson or Andre Iguodala?  (Read 8348 times)

Re: Klay Thompson or Andre Iguodala?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I've been saying for years now that Iguodala would be the perfect SG beside Rondo and Green.  I think then we'd only be a Tyson Chandler type C away from being a contender. 

Really? Why? Iguodala isn't that good and he's not the best shooter around. Thompson is a much better fit, but obviously it's a real long shot to have him.

This is beyond laughable.

You do realize that Andre Iguodala is a career 15, 6, 5 and 2 guy shooting 46% from the field, right? When he was asked to be "The man" in Philly he responded by putting up 17-20 points a game and 5-6 rebounds and assists per year. When he was asked to be a role player his scoring went down but his assists and rebounds stayed fairly the same and he got better as a veteran leader and team defender.

Currently GSW doesn't need him to be the man and he is doing what he is asked and does it well. He averaged 9 points on only 7 shots a game last year and shot 48% from the field and 35% from three. On a team with scorers like Curry, Thompson, Lee, Bogut, and Barnes all getting high volume in shots, he has taken a backseat, not because he isn't that good but that what is going to help the team. This year he has even agreed to come off the bench if Kerr start Barnes just because Iggy would be a great 6th man option and be the best bench option for them.

Not only is his stat sheet impressive, but he has proven to be a near elite defender, an efficient playmaker, an efficient rebounder, and a good two way player throughout his career.

TP.

This is the problem with a lot of fans analysis. So many people equate being a good player with being a good shooter and completely ignore all other aspects of the game. Iggy has been one of the premier perimeter defenders in the game for some time now and he's talented facilitator and rebounder. He can score when asked too as well. He's probably one of the more well-rounded players in the game, but because he doesn't drop 25+ points every not, he's looked over.

In all honestly, I see a lot of his game in Marcus Smart. He's not a guy who can shoot at a terrific clip, but he's 2-way player and the rest of his game is good enough to the point where he can dominate without a reliable jumper. If Smart can become that at the guard spot, I'd really be happy.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Klay Thompson or Andre Iguodala?
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I've been saying for years now that Iguodala would be the perfect SG beside Rondo and Green.  I think then we'd only be a Tyson Chandler type C away from being a contender.  I'd gladly take Thompson as well, though GS would be foolish to trade either.

I believe the Warriors already have a ton of money invested in Curry, Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut.

So, are they going to have enough money to resign Thompson?

If they do, wouldn't someone have to be the odd man out?

Curry/Iggy/Bogut don't make THAT much over these last 3 years, Lee is the only one with big money and he's expiring next year (plus don't forget, Bogut and Iggy have declining salaries).  I wouldn't say they have a ton of money invested.  It's 50 million for their 4 best players, which isn't so bad for a contender.  Not too long ago, we had way more than that invested in only 3 players.

Of course, they can sign Thompson no matter what, but I'm pretty sure they can fit him in without going over the tax.  If they were really forced to make someone the odd man out, I think they'd rather dump one of the older guys (Lee or Bogut) than screw up their awesome perimeter.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale