Author Topic: Danny Ainge comments on roster needs, Golden State, Jame Young, etc.  (Read 8667 times)

Re: Danny Ainge comments on roster needs, Golden State, Jame Young, etc.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 12:14:46 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Mo Speights was just mentioned by Sherrod....I'd take him on a 1+1...I guess  :-\
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 12:27:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Mo Speights was just mentioned by Sherrod....I'd take him on a 1+1...I guess  :-\

Why would we want him when Ben Bentil is a lot like him, younger, is more agile, faster, and gives great effort, especially in terms of defense and rebounding? 

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 12:34:45 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Roster situation: 4 roster spots will be fought between Sullinger, Zeller, Young, Hunter, Bentil, and Jackson.

What's the optimum we can hope for (aside from trades & other FA targets I don't know about)?

Both Sullinger & Zeller on one year deals. Retain Young and Hunter, and Bentil & Jackson agree to a contract in the NBA DL or Europe.

That keeps our rights for everyone and produces what should be our best NBA ready talent for our roster.

We'll see how it plays out.

Those spots should go to Hunter, Bentil, and Jackson, imo.  Let Sully and Zeller walk and waive Young.

I'd keep Zeller over the rookie 2nd round point guard.   We are thin up front and Zeller is a pretty versatile 15mpg big.   We are so thin up front, not sure it makes sense to keep Jackson around purely as a practice player.

I wouldn't.  I'd rather keep Jackson and bring in a couple of undrafted free agents like Daniel Ochefu and Tonye Jekiri, both of whom are excellent rebounders, defenders, and at least very good passers.  Jekiri also runs the floor like a gazelle, lol, and at least both of those guys would give us some muscle.  Zeller is a terrible rebounder with no motor and isn't any semblance of a shot blocker.  Have you forgotten how bad he is, lol? ;D I'd just let both him and Sullinger walk, myself, and it's not because I necessarily think that Jekiri and Ochefu are better than him and Sully, it's because of how bad those two guys were for us last season.  Ugh.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 12:43:29 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679

Why would we want him when Ben Bentil is a lot like him, younger, is more agile, faster, and gives great effort, especially in terms of defense and rebounding?

The Speights comparison for Bentil occurred to me too, but there's a big difference between the two:  Speights has made it in this league and is a proven NBA rotation player, while Bentil is facing an uphill battle as a second-round pick on a team that currently projects to have a roster crunch. 

I know you like to dream on young players, but not every kid is a better version of a solid player, lol. 

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 12:50:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

The Speights comparison for Bentil occurred to me too, but there's a big difference between the two:  Speights has made it in this league and is a proven NBA rotation player, while Bentil is facing an uphill battle as a second-round pick on a team that currently projects to have a roster crunch. 

I know you like to dream on young players, but not every kid is a better version of a solid player, lol.

Right, but why are you holding it against Bentil that he hasn't played in the NBA yet when that's not his fault?  All players, at one time or another, were unproven - woo ::). Plus, do you really want Speights, anyway?  He's a horrible defensive player.  And idk if Bentil will be Speights or not, but I'd seen the comparison and there are definite similarities, at least on offense. 

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 01:21:30 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

But the reason you do it, is to see if you've hit the Draymond Green jackpot..

Also, I'm pretty happy with the same roster as last year + Horford, but I'd still like a little more rim protection. But maybe Mickey makes some bigger strides this year..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:31:43 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 02:04:53 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Talk is cheap and the talk is getting old.

Make a move! Horford or no Horford it's purgatory

Well, The Warriors and the cavs (maybe the Spurs) are the only elite teams this year. Everyone else is playing for 4th place.

We aren't exactly in purgatory (I know you want to say we are, but we aren't). True we aren't contending this year but we still have a very good team. ECF should be a reasonable goal. I would like to know what moves we can make to get out of "purgatory", as you claim we are in that situation right now.

Yup. How can we be in purgatory when our window extends further than the next 2-3 years that the Cavs and GSW will most likely be dominating? Teams like the Clippers are closer to purgatory than us.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 03:31:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Well, The Warriors and the cavs (maybe the Spurs) are the only elite teams this year. Everyone else is playing for 4th place.

We aren't exactly in purgatory (I know you want to say we are, but we aren't). True we aren't contending this year but we still have a very good team. ECF should be a reasonable goal. I would like to know what moves we can make to get out of "purgatory", as you claim we are in that situation right now.

Yup. How can we be in purgatory when our window extends further than the next 2-3 years that the Cavs and GSW will most likely be dominating? Teams like the Clippers are closer to purgatory than us.

Don't we at least have to be a contender first before we can have any kind of, what I'm assuming is, a championship window, because we're not there yet, imo,

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2016, 04:46:36 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Don't we at least have to be a contender first before we can have any kind of, what I'm assuming is, a championship window, because we're not there yet, imo,

"windows" doesnt have to be restricted to championship contentions. Our realistic chances would have to start after 2-3 years, since the top teams would probably have that championship window. After 2-3 years we still have lots of young guys (barring trades) who hopefully have developed, a core in their prime. We are in a position to contend then, we are not an old team with old guys who have to win now because the team is declining.

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 05:08:23 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

"windows" doesnt have to be restricted to championship contentions. Our realistic chances would have to start after 2-3 years, since the top teams would probably have that championship window. After 2-3 years we still have lots of young guys (barring trades) who hopefully have developed, a core in their prime. We are in a position to contend then, we are not an old team with old guys who have to win now because the team is declining.

Well, I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. Danny isn't gonna let GSW have its way for the next 3 years, while we remain silent in the East. Given how much success we've had against them in the regular season, I think it's entirely appropriate to want to contest them as much as possible, especially with a strong on-the-court defense.

More importantly, we have to remember that Horford is 30, and rather and sit back for the next 3 years, I think we have to take advantage of his remaining prime years and contend for a title sooner, rather than later.

Getting Boogie should be Danny's No. 1 priority. It just makes too much sense right now. 

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2016, 06:44:13 AM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
is the press conference gonna be streamed from somewhere or live anywhere? (I need a link if so XD since not from the states)
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 07:22:04 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Ainge on team needs still as he sees them....Shooting, a stronger center, maybe a ballhandler: "We need more shooting. … We can use a stronger center, and those are the two biggest things"

[/quote]

D-Marc???
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."