Author Topic: Weakly Sources Rumor: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension  (Read 14178 times)

Re: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
Can we use zeller contract to match PG salary? When does second year become guaranteed?

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2017, 05:00:42 PM »

Online j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Can we change the title? Not buying this rumor at all. Zach Lowe who's pretty plugged in has no idea what we're doing. This Kaufman guy doesn't know jack.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Yeah, I'm not buying it. He is hoarding draft picks, and deals that would have helped this club have routinely been passed upon.

If the Garnett-Allen thing was going on now, Ainge wouldn't have the guts to make the deals.

Nope. He's waiting for a player that puts the team over the top. Jimmy is good, but what does he do for this team? A 4-2 loss to Cleveland in the ECF instead of 4-1? As I said in another thread, I'll be happy when a unicorn becomes available and Danny still has the assets to acquire him.

There's not singular player capable of doing that outside Lebron James and Kevin Durant. And neither of those guys are getting traded anytime. Fans need to let go of that mindset that's going to change the entire core of who we are. In the meantime, you can absolute acquire players that make you better than you were before you got them. Could that have been a Demarcus Cousins? Danny passed. Jimmy Butler? Danny passed again.

There's pieces out there but Danny has to actually get involved.

And just making deals to make deals because you have ADD is how franchises in all sports wind up in trouble.

Mike

I literally never said he should make deals just for the sake of it. Don't put words in my mouth to spin to your narrative.

In the past year alone, 2 All-Star / All-NBA caliber players have been traded and by all accounts, the Celtics weren't even in on the ground floor.

And unless you can argue that trading for either of them would improve our chances of winning a title, then all you are doing is complaining about not making deals for the sake of making deals.

I'm not saying Ainge is above criticism.  Not showing more interest in Butler or any interest in Cousins may turn out to be a mistake, but the man did build the 2nd best team in the East with loads of future assets and all you seem to focus on is NOW, NOW, NOW NOW!

Mik

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah, I'm not buying it. He is hoarding draft picks, and deals that would have helped this club have routinely been passed upon.

If the Garnett-Allen thing was going on now, Ainge wouldn't have the guts to make the deals.

Nope. He's waiting for a player that puts the team over the top. Jimmy is good, but what does he do for this team? A 4-2 loss to Cleveland in the ECF instead of 4-1? As I said in another thread, I'll be happy when a unicorn becomes available and Danny still has the assets to acquire him.

There's not singular player capable of doing that outside Lebron James and Kevin Durant. And neither of those guys are getting traded anytime. Fans need to let go of that mindset that's going to change the entire core of who we are. In the meantime, you can absolute acquire players that make you better than you were before you got them. Could that have been a Demarcus Cousins? Danny passed. Jimmy Butler? Danny passed again.

There's pieces out there but Danny has to actually get involved.

And just making deals to make deals because you have ADD is how franchises in all sports wind up in trouble.

Mike

I literally never said he should make deals just for the sake of it. Don't put words in my mouth to spin to your narrative.

In the past year alone, 2 All-Star / All-NBA caliber players have been traded and by all accounts, the Celtics weren't even in on the ground floor.

And unless you can argue that trading for either of them would improve our chances of winning a title, then all you are doing is complaining about not making deals for the sake of making deals.

I'm not saying Ainge is above criticism.  Not showing more interest in Butler or any interest in Cousins may turn out to be a mistake, but the man did build the 2nd best team in the East with loads of future assets and all you seem to focus on is NOW, NOW, NOW NOW!

Mik

Adding Demarcus Cousins would've addressed the biggest weaknesses we had on the floor: rebounding, interior defense, and reliable scoring outside of Isaiah Thomas. He's a terrific facilitator in his own right and has expanded his range to 3 point territory. He could've easily improved our chances of at least getting to the finals. He's also terrorized Golden State the past few years. I think we'd challenge for a title with him.

Jimmy Butler is a great wing defender and gives you another guy that can take on the responsibility of defending a Lebron James or a Kevin Durant. He's also another guy that can get you 20 points per game and takes the load off of Isaiah.

Adding either of those guys doesn't automatically equal title because the only proven to do that is Lebron, but it improves upon your weaknesses and gets you a step closer.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
My major concern with this is how does PG see himself within the organization. He isn't even here and he's making roster demands. We have a pretty stron culture here, but if you trade Crowder, Smart, Bradley, et al and then bring him in on those terms I fear a diva mentality.

Loyalty can't be bought or cobbled together, so I don't particularly like this hired gun feel I get from PG

Where does it say PG is making roster demands?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:26:37 PM by Trifecta »
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.