Author Topic: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado  (Read 120989 times)

Re: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I watched some of him in college.

I don't think he'll help us.  He's a weakside help defender, and that's really all he gives you.  Not an offensive threat, not a good man defender.  He's not strong enough to deal with centers without help, and even many PF's will overpower him in the post. 

I never watched him in college.  I did just watch one of his D-League games on the net this morning vs Austin just to see what we're getting, and your description seems spot on.  Granted, that's just one game, but just from that one, I saw what you described.

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
danny is going for stiemsma 2.0

Why can't Danny just get back Stiemsma 1.0. The guy is not getting alot of time off the wolves bench. I would give them wilcox and a 2nd round pick. Should of never let him go in the first place. Right now i rather have him before Wilcox, lee, barbosa and Jeff Green

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I been watching some more clips of him and i can see why he is considered the best shot blocker outside the nba. Even if he gets muscles and pushed back, his arms are so long he could still block you. Even if he gets pumped faked, he can still block you. Arms are beyond long haha

Imagine if Varnado and Melo pans out , and they are both on the court?? Instantaneously 50-60 percent of teams in the nba we face now have to turn into jump shooting teams. =]

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
danny is going for stiemsma 2.0

Why can't Danny just get back Stiemsma 1.0. The guy is not getting alot of time off the wolves bench. I would give them wilcox and a 2nd round pick. Should of never let him go in the first place. Right now i rather have him before Wilcox, lee, barbosa and Jeff Green

Why? From the looks of it, he's not playing well. Low shooting %, poor rebounding (pretty much the same rate as Wilcox).

Wilcox is the superior player between the 2.

I can't comment on Stiems' current defensive situation, but he wasn't good in the pick-and-roll defense, which his a big problem this year, so I don't see him as being a good answer to our woes, let alone trade them Wilcox and a 2nd rounder for him.

That said, Wilcox is currently injured, and we'll that's a big concern, but I really like him, particularly when considering he's playing for us exclusively out of position. Doc started experimenting with a "big" line-up too late. It should have been Wilcox getting the starting call some time back. He's barely played alongside KG this year.

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I read this thread quickly so apologies if I missed it but does anyone know the details of the contract? Is if a 10-day or a partially guaranteed or non-guaranteed?
I keep waiting for specifics to come out on that, too.  I would guess a couple of successive 10 day contracts to get them through until Wilcox comes back.  By then, Danny should figure out a way to trade for a center.

Teams can't sign players to 10-day contracts until January 5.  This is a contract for the rest of the regular season, although it doesn't necessarily have to be fully guaranteed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Poormans Stiemer?

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Poormans Stiemer?

I hope not. I hope he's better than Stiemsma. Steimsma was useless during the playoffs last year.

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Poormans Stiemer?

I hope not. I hope he's better than Stiemsma. Steimsma was useless during the playoffs last year.
Stiemsma was solid last year iont get da hate for him on dis site. yall gotta remember dude was playin thru foot injuries he aint even practice wit us

« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Just woke up on Christmas morning ......Santa gave me the shaft..

axed for Anderson Varejao in Green and got who dat you say???

Jarvis Varnado....

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Bradley played with this guy during his short stint in Israel. (During the lockout).

I dont expect anything from this guy. If he delivers im all for it, if he doesnt, cut him simple as that. Some of yall are acting like we just traded Rondo for this guy chill. This is a typical Low risk High reward move.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
waste of $

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
waste of $
Seconded
We could have got Kenyon Martin for the same money.

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
waste of $
Seconded

err, no, we couldn't. Martin is a league vet, his minimum is more than the minimum for a D-league player

Martin has attitude problems too. Supposedly some players on the celtics don't want him here.

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
waste of $
dat vets minimmum really gon break da bank for us huh bruh?

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
waste of $
Seconded

err, no, we couldn't. Martin is a league vet, his minimum is more than the minimum for a D-league player

Martin has attitude problems too. Supposedly some players on the celtics don't want him here.
Sorry my bad ;D Mistook the league min with the vet min hehe!

I agree that the attitude problem is a big problem, but i still feel like K-Mart instantly could produce something for us compared to the production we are going to see from Varnado.