Author Topic: Celtics at crossroads this season.  (Read 3787 times)

Re: Celtics at crossroads this season.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Trade for AD and consolidate some of our depth.

Probably Brown, Williams, Filler (Smart or a re-signed Morris/Rozier???) and multiple firsts for AD. Possibly move Horford to the Bench, Increase Semi's minutes, plug in Hayward to fill Brown's minutes and run a shorter rotation. Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward, Davis would be an elite top 4. The 5th starter would probably be Horford or Morris if we are able to keep him. Just thinking about keeping a solid bench makes me believe re-signing Morris is vital especially if we trade Smart. This next summer is going to be really interesting.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We can’t trade for AD this season due to the Rose rule unless we trade Kyrie

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 09:55:58 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We can’t trade for AD this season due to the Rose rule unless we trade Kyrie

"Anthony, would accept this rose?," said Danny Ainge.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Danny should have learned his lesson after he traded Perk and we never sniffed the Finals again - all in the name of becoming more "athletic".

Get real Perk was never the same and DA got rid of him at the right time.

Look at his stats, he was nothing after 2010....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkike01.html

It is fan myth that he still had something in the tank because he was journeyman after that.

I agree.  I loved Perk, but have always thought Danny did the right thing at the right time.

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Danny should have learned his lesson after he traded Perk and we never sniffed the Finals again - all in the name of becoming more "athletic".

Get real Perk was never the same and DA got rid of him at the right time.

Look at his stats, he was nothing after 2010....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkike01.html

It is fan myth that he still had something in the tank because he was journeyman after that.

I agree.  I loved Perk, but have always thought Danny did the right thing at the right time.
it hurt since perk was my favorite celtic then. but yes, he fell off a cliff in terms of performance. plus, wasnt he up for salary increase? i am not positive on the point, but danny did the right thing for that time.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I do not think it is very complicated....if they make the Finals.

They will likely either trade Rozier at the deadline or let him walk after making the qualifying offer.  I cannot see this team up against the tax and paying Rozier what he will get from some team.

Morris will be gone if he requires anything over the exemption level.

They resign Kyrie to the max and pay a lot of tax.

If they do not make the Finals, then there is a strong possibility for major overhaul of the roster with likely only Tatum being untouchable.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I do not think it is very complicated....if they make the Finals.

They will likely either trade Rozier at the deadline or let him walk after making the qualifying offer.  I cannot see this team up against the tax and paying Rozier what he will get from some team.

Morris will be gone if he requires anything over the exemption level.

They resign Kyrie to the max and pay a lot of tax.

If they do not make the Finals, then there is a strong possibility for major overhaul of the roster with likely only Tatum being untouchable.
Not sure Ainge will look at it as get to the Finals or we go off in a different direction, everyone is available in a trade. The core will stay there unless he traded for a top 5 player.

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Trade for AD and consolidate some of our depth.

Probably Brown, Williams, Filler (Smart or a re-signed Morris/Rozier???) and multiple firsts for AD. Possibly move Horford to the Bench, Increase Semi's minutes, plug in Hayward to fill Brown's minutes and run a shorter rotation. Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward, Davis would be an elite top 4. The 5th starter would probably be Horford or Morris if we are able to keep him. Just thinking about keeping a solid bench makes me believe re-signing Morris is vital especially if we trade Smart. This next summer is going to be really interesting.

I’m hoping Danny can pick someone up during buyout season in February using the MLE on a two-year deal who’s salary can be used in a trade in the off-season.

I would really like to keep Smart and hopefully resign Morris. I would be fine uresigning and trading Rozier, but then the trade would have to wait until January 15? Or could we S&T him in the off-season?

Also, I think it’s going to cost us Tatum, unfortunately. Brown has star potential, but Tatum has superstar potential. That’s what they will probably want.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 01:23:47 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
In a league where LeBron James is still considered the 10 and AD, Durant, Embiid, Kawhi, and the Greek are 9.5's. The Celtics are a team with too many 8's...maybe Kyrie is an 8.5.   

Their choice is to either play the game with superior chemistry at a pace that caters to having so many 8's. Push the pace of the game more and test the stamina of opponents around the league, or find a way to trade two 8's for a 9.5.

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 02:46:56 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Well in a way sure. I mean ownership can say what ever they want about paying the tax but if you pay everyone then we are going to end up with literally never before seen tax bills, especially in a couple years when the repeater tax kicks in. I think some people see quotes from management saying they will pay the tax, pay what it takes, and just assume that they are going to go to that level. I'm not convinced, I think someone gets squeezed out. But maybe I'm wrong.

But besides that I think the most immediate consequence of financil consequecne is that guys like Rozier and Morris are likely gone. You arent paying what it takes (Likely mid teens a year) to bring those guys back. And on another note, thats another reason you stockpile picks to draft and develop cheap guys to replace them.

As fr davis, we are absolutely going to make a run at him. Its not a matter of whether we want to, because we absoluely want to. And if tatum is what it takes to get it done then Tatum is getting traded. that would hurt, but a Tatum, Smart, Filler, Draft picks package still leaves you with a hell of a team, and an MVP level headliner.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 04:22:54 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I always felt like our "The Crossroad" was last summer when we introduced 13 new players to our roster. Now it is just a gradual built on that foundation.
Wyc has always been clear about luxury tax payment when contending, which we are now.
So nothing new on that front.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 07:36:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LeBron James is still considered the 10

No longer, he is a 9.5 this year and this number will be going down soon.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 07:44:41 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I assume the luxury tax - payable on an amount near the Hard Cap, would be VERY easily swallowed by the Boston Celtics. It is a international mega-corporation.

Hard Cap for next 5 years.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I agree. I honestly don't know who the best player in the NBA is right now.

I think you could make a case for 6 different players: Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Anthony Davis. 

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree. I honestly don't know who the best player in the NBA is right now.

I think you could make a case for 6 different players: Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Anthony Davis.
Agree 100%, I don’t think there is a clearcut best player in the league. People still act as if LBJ is this perfect offensive player who locks down the best opposing wing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)