Poll

would you trade rondo for melo

yes
31 (43.7%)
no
40 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony on the trading block? Would you trade Rondo for Melo?( POLL)  (Read 23269 times)

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Melo's a superstar, but I'm not sure he's a winner.  If we traded Rondo for him we'd be in the same boat as the Nuggets (perhaps worse).  

We'd always be good but not very good unless we find a way to put another superstar (with work ethic and a more serious attitude) next to him.

The one thing we know for sure about Rondo is he's a winner, even if he isn't quite as talented as Melo.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is a tough one.  If they were both in the same contract situation, I would go with Melo.  I think they are similar players in that they have the talent to be hall of famers, but they both have holes in their games holding them back from being in that upper echelon.  But I think Melo is closer to being a complete player than Rondo, and could be that with the right coach/teammates around him, while Rondo has a long way to go with his shot before he can not be gameplanned away. 

However, since they are both a notch below elite, and IMO would need another star (or two)next to them to even sniff a title, I go with the guy who is locked up to a bargain contract over the guy who has one year left on a deal, and will be looking for the max next summer.  So I stick with Rondo.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Melo's a superstar, but I'm not sure he's a winner.  If we traded Rondo for him we'd be in the same boat as the Nuggets (perhaps worse).  

We'd always be good but not very good unless we find a way to put another superstar (with work ethic and a more serious attitude) next to him.

The one thing we know for sure about Rondo is he's a winner, even if he isn't quite as talented as Melo.

Couldn't have said it better myself PosImpos.  TP.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Absolutely witout question without giving it a second thought.  This is a no brainer.  

Melo is the better player.  Melo plays a position that historically is far more important to winning titles.  Melo is still young and in his prime.  Melo provides a much better base to attract future players.  

That said I don't think Denver would make the trade without other things going on.  I mean what do you with Billups and Rondo for the next couple of seasons.  How do you trade the face of your franchise for a PG that can't shoot?

I had heard a rumor/speculation that actually made some sense when I heard it, where essentially Denver would trade Melo to Minnesota for Al Jefferson, Brewer, and the rights to Rubio.  The thought being Denver gets younger and more athletic with solid value for Melo.  Minny gets a pre-eminent star with the hopes of attracting one of the big name free agents this summer or next if they retained Melo long term.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

I don't think I agree that Melo is not a winner. He has taken the Nuggets to the WCF in a very tough western conference.

He took Syracuse to the national title as a freshman. If you remember his one year at Cuse, its pretty hard to argue that Melo isn't a winner.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I don't think I agree that Melo is not a winner. He has taken the Nuggets to the WCF in a very tough western conference.

He took Syracuse to the national title as a freshman. If you remember his one year at Cuse, its pretty hard to argue that Melo isn't a winner.

I agree.  His teams haven't had enough talent and/or health around him to win it all. 

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
No but I'd trade the whole rest of the team.

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Absolutely witout question without giving it a second thought.  This is a no brainer.  

Melo is the better player.  Melo plays a position that historically is far more important to winning titles.  Melo is still young and in his prime.  Melo provides a much better base to attract future players.  

Yes, agreed, this isn't even close to me, as much as I love watching Rondo play.
Go Celtics.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope, Nyet, Negatory, No way, (shaking head side to side).....

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Melo's the better player and one of the very best scorers in the league. Love the idea of him with the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter of a close playoff game. So yeah, I'd definitely make that deal.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Melo's the better player and one of the very best scorers in the league. Love the idea of him with the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter of a close playoff game. So yeah, I'd definitely make that deal.

And who would you like to replace Rondo with at the point and what would you do with Paul, let him go or come off the bench? 

I don't think Paul would want to come off the bench, which would mean that we would have to let him go.  Then we would be losing Paul and Rondo for Carmelo.

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

And who would you like to replace Rondo with at the point and what would you do with Paul, let him go or come off the bench? 

I don't think Paul would want to come off the bench, which would mean that we would have to let him go.  Then we would be losing Paul and Rondo for Carmelo.

Well, this is all pure speculation - I wasn't thinking in terms of the current team's composition; just comparing the two players. That said, I'd happily bid Pierce goodbye if we could get Melo and figure out the PG position afterwards.

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I can't believe this is an issue. Some of these answers are just plain wrong. Carmelo is a far superior player and its not even close. These are some of the things said in this thread:

Melo not a winner = WRONG - won NCAA champ as a freshman, Rondo was benched at the end of his run at Kentucky. Melo I believe has been in the playoffs every year.

Melo is selfish = WRONG - Welcomed Iverson to do his thing, Billups to do his thing, has put up with the likes of Kenyon and Birdman for betterment of the team.

PG harder position to fill = WRONG - When compared to what Melo can do, I can find a PG to play with him

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope, Nyet, Negatory, No way, (shaking head side to side).....

To Elaborate:

Rajon Rondo is a Top 3 PG - Right Now..and he is only 24. He will get even better. His is our Playmaker - The Floorleader. Carmelo Anthony is a Great Player, but the PG position is so hard to fill.

If we had Melo instead of Rondo for the last few months, we wouldn't have made it to June.

While Melo is a Great Player - to me he dominates the ball.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Well, this is all pure speculation - I wasn't thinking in terms of the current team's composition; just comparing the two players. That said, I'd happily bid Pierce goodbye if we could get Melo and figure out the PG position afterwards.

Who would you replace with Rondo?