Author Topic: No more sign + trade ideas with teams with cap space  (Read 1888 times)

No more sign + trade ideas with teams with cap space
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:06 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I love speculation, but this drives me crazy. A team with cap space has little incentive to do a sign and trade with us, when they can just sign a player outright. It does happen, a handful of time ever, and you have to think, if Team B can sign player A outright, why are they giving Team A anything? Player B and whatever else Team A gets in return must be garage.

Re: No more sign + trade ideas with teams with cap space
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:48:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It happens because the Player and his agent want it too, not because either of the teams truly benefits much.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It happens because the Player and his agent want it too, not because either of the teams truly benefits much.

Or because the other team wants to dump some salary and the original team wants that player. 

Still, I agree.  Too much speculation of very unlikely scenarios.  Too early to be talking about this, but I don't see a lot of movement by the C's unless some major star elects to take a one year MLE (very unlikely).  Quite frankly, if TA and Nate come back, this 9 man rotation is going to be very tough to crack. 

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Or because the other team wants to dump some salary and the original team wants that player. 

Or to preserve the cap space they have in order to sign other players.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I love speculation, but this drives me crazy. A team with cap space has little incentive to do a sign and trade with us, when they can just sign a player outright. It does happen, a handful of time ever, and you have to think, if Team B can sign player A outright, why are they giving Team A anything? Player B and whatever else Team A gets in return must be garage.

Welcome to the world of NBA forums  ;)

A team with a players Bird Rights can offer more money and years than other teams regardless of the cap. So even if a team is under, they can't max a player out (Annual increases for 6 years). For that reason S&T's involving teams under the cap are going to happen left and right this offseason. So I have no problem with threads/ideas on it.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
No more threads telling other people what to post or not to post on a trade and rumors forum.

Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
No more threads telling other people what to post or not to post on a trade and rumors forum.

Thanks.

I'll co-sign that.